• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB Sevens 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I don't think any side is regressing.... It's more that they aren't improving as fast as the other teams

T

TOCC

Wouldn't that imply they are regressing? You play other teams, not a constant variable.

If that's your interpretation, regressing could also be interpreted as going backwards on their previous form...

Doesnt really matter, my point is that all the teams are improving, some just not as fast as others.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The final day of the Las Vegas Sevens is on Fox Sports 3, starting at 3 am Monday. Prime time for an FTA broadcaster. :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What about the Japan, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Gold Coast legs?

What about them? Even if the rights could be split off, which they cannot, which FTA network would have the slightest interest in showing the Sevens live? Eight hours on the final day, or thereabouts.

T

TOCC

What about them? Even if the rights could be split off, which they cannot, which FTA network would have the slightest interest in showing the Sevens live? Eight hours on the final day, or thereabouts.

It is possible that the rights can be sold to both fox and FTA..... the IRB dont release details of their agreements with broadcasters so we don't know how long the current agreement is for, but its possible that in the future a FTA broadcaster could fill in gaps in the schedule with 7's rugby whilst leaving the overall broadcasting to foxsports..

Its exactly the same agreement they make for the RWC... Dont think its going to happen in the next year or two, but its possible in the long term.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kids at the moment, but if we stick with them and train them well, in a couple of years they will be very experienced veterans come 2016 Rio.

Sorry, Hugh, but most of them are second-raters, which is why they are earning peanuts in the Sevens programme, rather than starting to climb their way up the Soup ladder.

If we want to be a serious chance of a medal, we will need to parachute in a few top level players. I accept that they would have to be willing (and paid well) to play in a full IRB Sevens circuit, but there is no substitute for basic talent. Sevens skills can be learned, top level rugby ability cannot.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is possible that the rights can be sold to both fox and FTA... the IRB dont release details of their agreements with broadcasters so we don't know how long the current agreement is for, but its possible that in the future a FTA broadcaster could fill in gaps in the schedule with 7's rugby whilst leaving the overall broadcasting to foxsports..

Its exactly the same agreement they make for the RWC. Dont think its going to happen in the next year or two, but its possible in the long term.

I lived in Hong Kong for a long time, the local English language channel used to break into their programming to show the semi-finals and finals. I doubt that Australian FTA would be interested in anything other than games in which Australia is playing. And of course that involvement cannot be predicted, which means that the likelihood of it happening is miniscule.

No FTA channel would advertise a programme which might, or might not, happen, and it would be impossible to sell advertising for something that - again - might or might not happen.

The ARU might be better off putting the games onto an internet platform, frankly.

T

TOCC

The ARU might be better off putting the games onto an internet platform, frankly.

The IRB control the rights, not the ARU... It's like the RWC, the ARU has little input, the negotiations are between the IRB and the broadcasters through a commercial agent.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
After a first up win over the host team the Aussie team went down 24-14 to Spain. Need to beat Samoa to advance to the top half of the draw.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Kids at the moment, but if we stick with them and train them well, in a couple of years they will be very experienced veterans come 2016 Rio.
But not necessarily the right kids.The selectors don't cast the net very wide.
At least they were good enough to score 14 against that Rugby powerhouse Spain!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hold up Spain went within seconds of knocking off Samoa.. bit of perspective. They looked very good.

T

TOCC

Is this a surprise? anyone who thinks Spain is an easy opponent hasn't been tracking the 7's this year...

Yes they are a recent addition to the circuit, but they have been competitive in nearly every single game and took the scalp of England back on the Gold Coast..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I have to agree that Spain have been a great addition to the 7's circuit but I would have liked us to back up a good performance in NZ with a top 8 in LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.