• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB Sevens 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The producers didn't acknowledge when the ref blew time off, they kept it running. All fair.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Bugger I so wanted Kenya to win. What was with the clock? I think Kenya could feel agrieved. Anyway pretty tough there at the end 5 vs. 7.

You have to admire the Soap Dodgers persistence and determination.

Over the years they have won many titles with tries scored after the full time siren, or in the last few seconds of the game.

They never give up, and consequently they are frequently rewarded. (much to my disappointment!)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I like the balance of this Oz Sevens side better than the teams they have had recently.

A Sevens matchday 12 should have some forward types with big engines, steppers, and fliers, plus a couple of fellows who can play quarterback, so to speak. Within those you have to have a guy on the field who can drop-kick a ball.

Last year we had steppers coming out of out backsides but our forwards were being pushed off the ball in the scrum and otherwise too.

The introduction of Ben Adams (who played as a lock for Qld II Schools back in the day, believe it or not) has made a difference. With Parahi and him around the 105kgs mark propping up the scrums they won't get pushed around too often and when beefy Cusack gets up to speed in Sevens he can rotate with them.

And can't Big Ben run with the ball with a cracking fend?

18 year old Sean McMahon, though light, is playing the heavy game of an older player. It's a pity this lad will never have the dimensions to be a big engine 6 in XVs senior rugby, but hooker in Sevens could be his forte.

Shannon Walker looks like he is becoming a bit of a union footie player - using the ball and not just running with it, and the other flyer, Fou, is improving too. What a good offload to Walker yesterday for a try.

The team still lacks a quarterback like Stannard but Holland is going well in the scrummie role.

They look better as a team than they were last year. They had a terrible game yesterday against the Kiwis when the occasion was too much for them, but otherwise they showed progress including better cohesion.

Some of their passes in the wind needed more care; so they should have passed shorter, and often they passed too early - but there are good signs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're missing Lucas a lot I reckon, his long passing game was very handy playing with width

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The emphasis on youth in the Thunderbolts is encouraging. Clear that O'Connor and the rest have their eyes set on 2016 and Gold in Rio.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The introduction of Ben Adams (who played as a lock for Qld II Schools back in the day, believe it or not) has made a difference. With Parahi and him around the 105kgs mark propping up the scrums they won't get pushed around too often and when beefy Cusack gets up to speed in Sevens he can rotate with them.

And can't Big Ben run with the ball with a cracking fend?

It was a great first tournament for Ben. Also testament to the hard work he has put in. He was in the Thunderbolts squad at the Noosa 7's in 2011 and was due to play in the Gold Coast IRB tournament that year but did a knee and has worked incredibly hard over the last 18 months to come back into the squad.
It also helps that he is an incredibly likeable guy and I hope he stays in the squad and makes it to Rio.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The emphasis on youth in the Thunderbolts is encouraging. Clear that O'Connor and the rest have their eyes set on 2016 and Gold in Rio.

What's the alternative? The best available players, by definition, are going to be young unless and until incentives are given to older players.

If we want to do well in 2016, we need some older players, frankly, from among those who have been good enough to get into the Soup.

Although I doubt that we will make the Olympics, frankly, given the competition for places from our region.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
In 3 years, the current batch of young'uns will be 24 IRB 7's tournament veterans, if we stick with them.

Your last point worries me slightly. I had just assumed that the places at Rio would be based pretty much on the criteria for the IRD 7's circuit, rather than limited by region.

NZ, Samoa, Aust, and Fiji would have to be guaranteed slots from Oceania/Asia Pacific. It would be tough if Oceania/Asia Pacific were limited to two or three slots only.

Just a thought, the Olympics recognise Team UK, not ENG, WAL, and SCO. The Ulstermen would have to compete for slots in team UK, with the balance of the Irish RU players competing for EIRE.

A combined Team UK at Rugby 7's would be a tough proposition to knock off.

Does anyone have the inside knowledge on the Rio 7's competition format ?
16 teams in 4 pools?
20 teams in 5 pools?
Plate, and Bowl, Spoon Finals games in addition to the Gold/Silver/Bronze medals?
2 day intense competition a la IRB Sevens format or a more protracted format allowing more minnow nations to participate at qualification pool stages?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Olympics will be a 12 team tournament. We will have a real challenge to qualify in my opinion. It would help if NZ, Fiji and Samoa were in the top 4 in the 2014/15 IRB 7's if we aren't.
A. Men’s Qualification Process
• The Men’s Olympic qualification process will have three stages:
• Stage 1 - HSBC Sevens World Series
• Stage 2 - Regional Olympic Qualification Tournaments (ROQTs)
• Stage 3 - World Olympic Qualification Tournament (WOQT)
• Four teams will qualify directly from the HSBC SWS into the Olympics based on Rankings achieved in the 2014/15 HSBC Sevens World Series
• England, Scotland and Wales will participate in the HSBC SWS as individual countries (should they qualify as core teams) with the highest ranked team in the top four of the 2014/15 HSBC SWS rankings qualifying Great Britain into the Olympics. Should one of the countries fail to get a top four ranking then the GB countries will attempt to qualify through the Regional FIRA-AER tournament and subsequently the World Olympic Qualification Tournament
• Six teams will qualify from Regional Olympic Qualification Tournaments to be held in 2015 with a quota of one team from each IRB Region securing direct qualification
• Two teams will qualify from a final World Olympic Qualification Tournament which will be the final stage in the Olympic Qualification process and can take place any time up until two weeks prior to the Rio 2016 Games. The tournament could be a 12 or 16 team format
• Teams will qualify into the World Olympic Qualification Tournament based on rankings achieved in their respective
Regional Olympic Qualifications Tournaments with an agreed quota of places from each Region to be determined by the IRB
• If the Host Country is given an automatic qualification place then only one team will qualify from the World Olympic Qualification Tournament

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/aboutirb/irborganisation/02/06/18/19/120327ljrugbysevensplanfinal.pdf

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Olympics will be a 12 team tournament. We will have a real challenge to qualify in my opinion. It would help if NZ, Fiji and Samoa were in the top 4 in the 2014/15 IRB 7's if we aren't.

We really need that. I think on current form we would make it if that was the case. But it's 7s. Anything can happen.

I'm just interested to see what happens post-2016. 12 teams is not many. Will countries keep pouring money into 7s if the don't make the Olympics.

It's billed as a sport that allows the minnows a chance of winning but with only 12 teams going, that really isn't the case. The USA for example probably have a better chance of winning the 2015 RWC than they do the 2016 Mens 7s in Rio.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If it was decided today we would be ok.

NZ, Kenya, Samoa and Fiji would all qualify automatically as will Brazil as hosts.

The other 7 teams would be (based on ranking and not a regional tournament as will be required for qualification)
Asia - Japan?
Europe - France
Africa - South Africa
Nth Amercia - Canada
Sth Amercia - Argentina
Oceania - Australia
WOQT - GB

New Zealand
Kenya
3 Samoa
4 Fiji
5 France
6 South Africa
7 Argentina
8 England
9 Wales
10 Australia
11 Canada
12 Portugal
13 Scotland
Spain
15 United States
16 Tonga
17 Zimbabwe
18 Russia

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
If it was decided today we would be ok.

NZ, Kenya, Samoa and Fiji would all qualify automatically as will Brazil as hosts.

The other 7 teams would be (based on ranking and not a regional tournament as will be required for qualification)
Asia - Japan?
Europe - France
Africa - South Africa
Nth Amercia - Canada
Sth Amercia - Argentina
Oceania - Australia
WOQT - GB

Exactly. How did last weekend change that though? GB may have missed out altogether. Both England and SA are potential top 4 teams having very bad seasons.

It will be tough for every nation and every single match in the qualifying season will have big implications. Might generate some interest amongst those that are currently disinterested.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Well last weekend was great for Kenya (moved up to 2nd) and not so good for France (dropped down from 2nd). At the end of the series we'll have a better idea about what is going on in terms of qualification.

It would be great if the Aust team became a bit more settled. We need to consistently be in the top half of the tournament each time and to start making the semi's for the cup at every second tournament.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I think a positive for Australia this year is we aren't regressing. We have had a lot of injuries and some bad results, but we have shown something at times.

There are some sides who are going backwards. Ironically, it started when they went full time professional.

You are right about consistency. One tournament is irrelevant in 7s, we need to look over a period of time.

I think a good side should win the tournament proper at least once every two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.