• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's: R 7 - Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

Fiji blowing us out of the water, we have run out of steam I think. Consistently just below the very top level this year. Still its a big improvement on previous years.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Don't mind the look of Winterstein from the limited time I've seen him. Don't think he'd make a fully fit 12, even if he played all 3 remaining tournaments, but still should be in with a chance given the current injury situation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Mistake after mistake for both sides. Enthralling game nonetheless. Stupid high tackle from the Kiwis resulting in a yellow card, but they got away with it.

Yellow card, but no penalty??????

On top of no penalty for deliberate knock-on in regular time?????

Great game from all players involved - very odd display of refereeing (to put it mildly - from a neutral observer).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fiji blowing us out of the water, we have run out of steam I think. Consistently just below the very top level this year. Still its a big improvement on previous years.

A big improvement - but we're still not in the class of the top teams.

Friend has done a great job since being appointed, but I fear that the wasted years of Geraint John will come back to haunt us at Rio.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I'll give you the deliberate knock on, but the no penalty was stock 7s. Ball is 20m downfield? Advantage is over regardless 49 times out of 50.

G

galumay

Yellow card, but no penalty??????

I didnt understand that either, I can only think he played advantage and concluded the advantage had finished when the try wasnt scored?

On top of no penalty for deliberate knock-on in regular time?????

He definitely ruled that the NZ player was going for the intercept, clealy audible.

G

galumay

He certainly ruled that, but arm stuck out and ball knocked downwards is interpreted as a deliberate knock-on - which is clearly what happened. With the Boks looking like scoring I might add.

All that matters is what he saw, not what we thought happened. He knows what a deliberate knock on is! On another day its perceived differently and is a YC and PT, thats rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'll give you the deliberate knock on, but the no penalty was stock 7s. Ball is 20m downfield? Advantage is over regardless 49 times out of 50.

Not so sure. Penalty from a kick is where it landed, not where the tackle occuurred - so 10m at most with a contested possession.

Hard to see how any 'advantage' can beat winning the game from a kickable penalty.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All that matters is what he saw, not what we thought happened. He knows what a deliberate knock on is! On another day its perceived differently and is a YC and PT, thats rugby.

And why we have this forum is to discuss such matters. Or isn't anyone allowed to have a view contrary to yours?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Not so sure. Penalty from a kick is where it landed, not where the tackle occuurred - so 10m at most with a contested possession.

Hard to see how any 'advantage' can beat winning the game from a kickable penalty.
But it's not a penalty for tackle after the kick. It's a penalty for the high tackle, where the tackle occurred. Stock 7s procedure seems to be that unless the ball goes directly into the oppositions hands, any sort of kick that results in at least 15 metres "gained" gets an advantage over call, beyond a penalty try situation, that shouldn't really change regardless of circumstances.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Alrighty then, mission improbable is on. Amazed we got past the Seths & will be pleased with anything less than a flogging v Fiji. Defo put SBW to first reciever & see how their little guys like having him up in their faces........

G

galumay

\ Stock 7s procedure seems to be.....

...and it makes perfect sense in the context of the game, it helps keep it flowing and reduces interruptions. When you consider that about 90% of the time teams just take a quick tap from the penalty in 7's, the dynamics are quite different to the 15 a side version of the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A respectable 3rd or 4th placing coming up for the Men in Gold.

The Sefrikans are looking a little tired, not surprising considering that they effectively played to games in the SF before losing to The Darkness in the second half of extra time in the SF.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Stannard has Jumped the Shark, and we end up in 4th place.

Meanwhile normal service has been resumed and it is the Fijian Wizards against Stitch and The Darkness in the Final.

How many times has this happened?

Go you good things.

Fiji should be fitter, with a full bench against NZL who have played two games in the SF and only have 3 on the bench due to injuries.

Bula Vinaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.