• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
In regards to the Randwick side I get the feeling a lot of these guys are young very good 2nd grade players. They are at a far more advanced level than some guys at my club Gordon saying that.

The problem is that they are not big physically. I have to say though I can't really pinpoint anyone in the current Randwick side that displays a level of authority to call themselves a very good first grade footballer.

In Kellaway and Horwitz when he returns there are makings of this type of footballer.

Munro I believe could be something very good as well.

Roye & Ford have the makings of long term wingers. Figg is determined and fit but very much on the light side. Asa is a good player. Randwick need to invest in some big units in the pack to keep moving forward in my opinion.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In regards to the Randwick side I get the feeling a lot of these guys are young very good 2nd grade players. They are at a far more advanced level than some guys at my club Gordon saying that.

The problem is that they are not big physically. I have to say though I can't really pinpoint anyone in the current Randwick side that displays a level of authority to call themselves a very good first grade footballer.

In Kellaway and Horwitz when he returns there are makings of this type of footballer.

Roye & Ford have the makings of long term wingers. Figg is determined and fit but very much on the light side. Asa is a good player. Randwick need to invest in some big units in the pack to keep moving forward in my opinion.
Not far off the mark there, Tim Wright has been a very good footballer for the club over many years. Kellaway, Munro, Horwitz, Ford, Connor and Toa Asa are probably the best down there at the moment.

Jesse Harris the no 4 is young and raw and can improve on fitness to be a good player in the future. Others to watch in coming years will be Oli Nicholson, Hanigan, O'Donahue (colts), Pennington, Cockinos, Norton.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

I'd suggest we have some good players (as you've listed plus a few more) and some big players (eg Asa, Kolo, Paila, Faleafa, Pinomi), but unfortunately we're short of good big players. All of the above have played 1sts but the smaller players have been playing better so have forced most of the big guys back to 2nds and 3rds. I guess it comes down to the question of how much does size take preference over form?
It would be great to have a couple of Greg Petersen's or Jared Barry's or Tim Meschner's in the pack and maybe we should be trying to recruit some BIG guys, but the current policy of recruiting straight from school suggests this is not going to happen in the short term. There's also a lack of size in the backs, and Windon being dropped to 2nds is a mystery to me as he did add some size when to moved up to #10 in defence.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd suggest we have some good players (as you've listed plus a few more) and some big players (eg Asa, Kolo, Paila, Faleafa, Pinomi), but unfortunately we're short of good big players. All of the above have played 1sts but the smaller players have been playing better so have forced most of the big guys back to 2nds and 3rds. I guess it comes down to the question of how much does size take preference over form?
It would be great to have a couple of Greg Petersen's or Jared Barry's or Tim Meschner's in the pack and maybe we should be trying to recruit some BIG guys, but the current policy of recruiting straight from school suggests this is not going to happen in the short term. There's also a lack of size in the backs, and Windon being dropped to 2nds is a mystery to me as he did add some size when to moved up to #10 in defence.

Coach, seriously that was one game and Manly fired, your worst loss prior to that was 8 points - one try and a penalty goal.
The boys need to suck it in and take it to the Rats next week, let that game determine where the Wicks are at.
Even after the weekends game you've still conceded fewer points, and the Woodies only got you by 5.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
The game plan does nothing for the big men. Look at last year and the giant from uk.Fast and furious in open play at the moment.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Coach, seriously that was one game and Manly fired, your worst loss prior to that was 8 points - one try and a penalty goal.
The boys need to suck it in and take it to the Rats next week, let that game determine where the Wicks are at.
Even after the weekends game you've still conceded fewer points, and the Woodies only got you by 5.

no goal kicker otherwise they would have won

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

I agree with you Dave.

The size issue can be overstated (note what the Wicks did to the Uni scrum in the last 20 minutes last week) but to be really competitive it needs to be addressed long term. Goalkicking has also been a problem since Toby Brown went o/s and so has playing in the wet. It's important to recognise weaknesses, but you also have to try to do something about them.

On another note, how good would it be to see a Manly v Rats GF this year? I reckon Concord would burst at the seams and it would be a match to remember.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I agree with you Dave.

The size issue can be overstated (note what the Wicks did to the Uni scrum in the last 20 minutes last week) but to be really competitive it needs to be addressed long term. Goalkicking has also been a problem since Toby Brown went o/s and so has playing in the wet. It's important to recognise weaknesses, but you also have to try to do something about them.

On another note, how good would it be to see a Manly v Rats GF this year? I reckon Concord would burst at the seams and it would be a match to remember.

I agree with Manly v Rats it'd be awesome, Concord would burst yes, but my selfish thought would be Brookie given there has been discussions about it being used in the NRC, I'd go to either.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree with you Dave.

Tom Hiddelston to wing for mine, actually a better player then a few wingers they have turned out and a real sharp shooter at goals.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Tom Hiddelston to wing for mine, actually a better player then a few wingers they have turned out and a real sharp shooter at goals.

I've been singing his praises for some time, but I must be missing something as he can't even make 2s on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.