• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep Figg stepped down to the team on tues apparently.

Kelly has definately improved the club overall but something i dont like is how some players are persisted with and other players are dead set on a merry go round. Dissapointed to See Harris dropped, he made a couple of errors early being out of position(half back threw it to him anyway) but was one of the better forwards for the last 60 and has been so for the last 6 weeks. Whilst Harry has a shocker and stays?? Another fullback favoured over windon.

pstoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
How can he drop any player,but still keep the 9 in 1's?
It would appear that anyone but Windon is the preferred 15 down there.
Agree thoughts of Pete king and Pete Sullivan. Kelly's favouritism and nepostism, particularly with his Scots boys has not gone unnoticed. I think Boileau is a great player but there is little to differentiate him from Tim D or Nugget. He played badly last week and cost the side. Many have been dropped for less. All the players are counting on Kelly leaving at the end of this year, which is the word on the street. If he doesn't go there will be casualties next year.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
windon and coach not on same page
the players know who is good and deserve their spot and those that dont.
Some waiting on elitism to pass

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
<snip>
All the players are counting on Kelly leaving at the end of this year, which is the word on the street. If he doesn't go there will be casualties next year.

In recent times Head Coach of the Wicks has been a short term appointment.

Kelly seems to gave been a little polarising to some down in Wicksville, but to be fair the team is performing much better this year than last year. With the prospect of some young guns kicking on next year, I would have thought it would be a little short sighted to punt him at year end.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Much better?
They finished last year with 7 wins for the year.
I project they will finish this year with 8 wins.
With all the talk from many on the forum,about Cheika directing players there.
I would have thought it closer to a fail than a pass.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Was it the year before last then that the Wicks were in a battle for the spoon?

Was Kelly in charge then or was that the straw that broke the back of the Morrison regime?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
In recent times Head Coach of the Wicks has been a short term appointment.

Kelly seems to gave been a little polarising to some down in Wicksville, but to be fair the team is performing much better this year than last year. With the prospect of some young guns kicking on next year, I would have thought it would be a little short sighted to punt him at year end.
Who is punting who here?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Agree thoughts of Pete king and Pete Sullivan. Kelly's favouritism and nepostism, particularly with his Scots boys has not gone unnoticed. I think Boileau is a great player but there is little to differentiate him from Tim D or Nugget. He played badly last week and cost the side. Many have been dropped for less. All the players are counting on Kelly leaving at the end of this year, which is the word on the street. If he doesn't go there will be casualties next year.

Players come & go every year. No big deal. I often see players that move because of the coach do no better elsewhere. Look at Easts playing roster.
I dont agree with all of Wades decisions however think it would be unusual to completely agree with all of any coaches decisions.
The Wicks do also have Muggleton & Ryan involved who, rumour has it, have reasonable coaching & rugby credentials. I reckon there will be many young men who see that as a real attraction.
For mine, if the Wicks make the top 6 which I believe is possible, Wade has achieved. The converse applies if they don't.
I also want to see how the Wicks fare with the NRC hook up with NSW Country which will also be some measure of the success of the rugby management at Randwick.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
A big positive this year has been the performances against the top teams. With the exception of the Manly game the Wicks have been very competitive against Eastwood, Warringah and Uni -- we could have won all of these games. This wasn't the case last year.

The downside has been the losses to teams we should have beaten eg Wests, Gordon, Souths.

I agree there have been some very puzzling team selections (and non-selections) and some players seem to be being favoured.

The season is on the line tomorrow -- a win will go a long way towards securing a playoff spot, a loss and we'll probably drop to 8th and with upcoming games against Eastwood, Manly and Warringah over the next month.

To be fair on the coaching staff, not many players have actually been dropped from 1sts this year, most of the changes have been due to injury so the coach has generally stuck with the same group. The availability of Hoiles and Carraro is great, but they've only replaced injured players (ie Munro and Maafu so no benefit to the 2nds.

Interesting to read Nick Ryan's serve in the newsletter this week -- seems as though the players got a right old talking to after losing all 4 grades to Warringah.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Players come & go every year. No big deal. I often see players that move because of the coach do no better elsewhere. Look at Easts playing roster.
I dont agree with all of Wades decisions however think it would be unusual to completely agree with all of any coaches decisions.
The Wicks do also have Muggleton & Ryan involved who, rumour has it, have reasonable coaching & rugby credentials. I reckon there will be many young men who see that as a real attraction.
For mine, if the Wicks make the top 6 which I believe is possible, Wade has achieved. The converse applies if they don't.
I also want to see how the Wicks fare with the NRC hook up with NSW Country which will also be some measure of the success of the rugby management at Randwick.
It's possible,but they are up against it.
Souths are 1 point behind with an easier run home.
If they can't beat West a Harbour this week,then it's all over IMO.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Have been an interested reader of this forum for quite some time, especially this thread. I think the criticisms of Kelly is a bit harsh. Something that has gone largely unnoticed has been your 1sts colts who are currently sitting in 2nd position behind Uni. With the bulk of these boys as i understand being 1st year out of school, i would expect Randwick to win the colts competition next year.

If the right environment is being built up top, those boys will all flow through to grade. You have also lost your 1st choice 10, and another back who likely would have had plenty of game time and stabilized your outside backs ranks. They come back ion the next fortnight or so, look for some improvements then and judge the coaching staff and management team with a full deck! The price of success at this level is losing players to representative duties, hard to judge a coach on performances with those players missing!

If Randwick do it right for the next 3 years, im calling it now, Shute Shield Champions in 2016!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
It's possible,but they are up against it.
Souths are 1 point behind with an easier run home.
If they can't beat West a Harbour this week,then it's all over IMO.

agree with that.
I am tipping Souths to make the 6 & Parra to drop out.
We are fighting with West Harbour for the other spot. Do or die this Saturday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It will be interesting
Parra have Easts,Wests,Souths & Penriff on their way home.
If they win 2 of these,they will be on the cusp.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
In general, is it coached into halfbacks these days to pick up the ball at the ruck and move away from the area before passing? Not many seem to pass from the ground or clear quickly.

Although is running game and general play is very good, I don't think I have ever seen Josh Holmes pass it straight off the ground. He always seems to pick it completely up and have a look around, and he's still regarded as one of the best club halfbacks around. Maybe the modern halfback dynamic is changing? There are some very big ones around in Holmes, Swanepoel, Snowden etc.

In other news, Muggleton is done with Randwick for the season. Has got a full-time job at Gloucester in the UK, wonder if this will have any effect on the Wicks

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sorry to hear Muggleton is moving on, Wicks defence has been very good this year.
On the subject of Colts players coming through, how many in First grade today have come through wicks colts?

Status
Not open for further replies.