• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Another close loss....
Pity the poor bloody coach.
Thought we deserved to win yet again some how we find a way to lose.
The ref allowing a try to be scored by an offside player without utilising the TMO that was on hand...that didn't help.
Guess we can again draw on the positives.
Wright again shows his value to the side.
Hoiles reminds us of his class.
Jesse Harris is one on the way up.
Alex Walker is a damn good 2.
Tom Connor again caused havoc.
Hope the boys see the replay of the wonderful sportsmanship (not) of a certain Warringah player giving halfback Harry a spray after one of those box kicks. Payback time next game.
At least we are in the top 6 still.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A great deal of disruption to the lower grades this week left them looking flat. There seemed to be little respect for the ball, with ball control and tackling execution lacking. This has to be more a mindset than ability as Wicks has a depth of players most clubs would envy and as they showed earlier in the season. Prehaps its just the mid season blues?
Warringah were up beat through all the lower grades and their talk was good and positive. The end scores reflected the difference in attitude.
The Wicks first grade side put on a very good show and one could argue that apart from a couple of unfortunate errors and decisions Wicks would have got up. Their defence did very well and they showed some good character pressing home a try after the bell.
I believe next week will define the club character.

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
Disappointing day at Manly for the club.
Not sure what happened to thirds, surprised they didn't bounce back after the Manly loss. I thought first grade had a big chance 30 mins in but again poor decisions let them down. Showed that we have the team to compete, just need some experience....and maybe a better game plan.

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
Another close loss..
Pity the poor bloody coach.
Thought we deserved to win yet again some how we find a way to lose.
The ref allowing a try to be scored by an offside player without utilising the TMO that was on hand.that didn't help.
Guess we can again draw on the positives.
Wright again shows his value to the side.
Hoiles reminds us of his class.
Jesse Harris is one on the way up.
Alex Walker is a damn good 2.
Tom Connor again caused havoc.
Hope the boys see the replay of the wonderful sportsmanship (not) of a certain Warringah player giving halfback Harry a spray after one of those box kicks. Payback time next game.
At least we are in the top 6 still.
Happy to out Josh Holmes as our sportsman of the day for his work on Harry. Classy!
I'm guessing he wouldn't have done it to Toa!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wicks backline just isn't functioning IMO and I'm sure the turnover of players is a big part of the reason. In 12 rounds we've used the following numbers of players in each position (ie run on team, not counting replacements during the game):
halfback = 2
flyhalf = 5
centre = 9
wing = 6
FB = 2
The constant changing (mainly due to injury) in the three quarter line and fly half makes it very difficult to get any combinations going.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Ford should play wing , Windon to fullback (goal kicker), Nugget to half back.

Harry has been going OK at half, apart from the 2 box kicks yesterday. The charge downs are as much the fault of the other Wicks players allowing defenders a free passage as poor execution by the kicker. Donlan came to the club expecting to play first grade but just hasn't found form and looks to be going through the motions to me -- based on his 2012 form at the Rats he's a much better player than we're seeing at the moment. Nugget probably doesn't have the same ability as the other 2 but at least you know you'll get 100% effort for 80 minutes. Difficult choice to make --- who'd be a coach?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Happy to out Josh Holmes as our sportsman of the day for his work on Harry. Classy!
I'm guessing he wouldn't have done it to Toa!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Wonder whether that was why Hoiles near snapped the prick in half when he tackled him as he was about to pass from the base of the ruck...
Hope so. Not sure whether that was before or after though.
I am a big Nugget fan however question whether he has the leg speed to play 1s. He is very tidy around the ruck, is a great competitor and has a good football brain. That might be what we need.
Harry has improved a lot this year IMO. He has good skills however as we saw n the weekend, his game management is still work in progress.
Don't know what Tim D is doing. He was given first shot at 1s and seems to have blown it.
Weighing that all up, I reckon Harry will continue to improve provided he is coached well. I suspect he needs almost a weekly mentor to develop his football brain. He also need to run more IMO. He is probably the longer term option however I would stick Nugget in there if there was an opening as he would lift those around him.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
I often think Donlan is in cruise control during a game. He doesn't seem to have a high gear.

In general, is it coached into halfbacks these days to pick up the ball at the ruck and move away from the area before passing? Not many seem to pass from the ground or clear quickly.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I often think Donlan is in cruise control during a game. He doesn't seem to have a high gear.

In general, is it coached into halfbacks these days to pick up the ball at the ruck and move away from the area before passing? Not many seem to pass from the ground or clear quickly.

Donlan did the diving pass once on Saturday -- 1st time I've seen it from him or Harry this year.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hoiles negated the Holmes running game effectively which went along way to closing off the rats backs.
Didn't Boileau end up on the wing at one stage as well?
There has been so much movement in all grades backlines this year, we seem to have quite a number playing out of their normal positions. This has allowed easy pickings for teams with good outside backs.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Hoiles negated the snip......
There has been so much movement in all grades backlines this year, we seem to have quite a number playing out of their normal positions. snip....
Hard to use as an excuse as I think you'll find this is an issue at all clubs, not just at Randwick.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Harry has been going OK at half, apart from the 2 box kicks yesterday. The charge downs are as much the fault of the other Wicks players allowing defenders a free passage as poor execution by the kicker. Donlan came to the club expecting to play first grade but just hasn't found form and looks to be going through the motions to me -- based on his 2012 form at the Rats he's a much better player than we're seeing at the moment. Nugget probably doesn't have the same ability as the other 2 but at least you know you'll get 100% effort for 80 minutes. Difficult choice to make --- who'd be a coach?
Harry's general service was pretty ordinary on saturday also. He showed time and time again he wasnt up to it last year but was persisted with untill nugget was finally brought in and the side looked better for it. I agree Nugget is no super rugby standard half but he is a better option then Boileau. Havent seen enough of Donlan to completely judge him.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Harry's general service was pretty ordinary on saturday also. He showed time and time again he wasnt up to it last year but was persisted with untill nugget was finally brought in and the side looked better for it. I agree Nugget is no super rugby standard half but he is a better option then Boileau. Havent seen enough of Donlan to completely judge him.
Nugget plays a more direct game and get the forwards moving in the right direction. Seems to clean up a lot more around the ruck area in defence and cover defends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.