• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Astute observations Coach & Pete King. Cayden the 5/8 is due back in the next week or so I hear. Also, we continue to miss kicks at goal that we need to convert. That makes Toby Browne's inclusion seem more compelling. Don't know where you can play all these guys. Who could you leave out? Cayden is a goal kicker? Could Toby Browne play wing?
After yesterday, I might change my non de plume from Macca to Nostra Damus. We need a kicker!
7 good tries against 3 tries and 2 lucky windfalls.
What a great ref? Yeah right.
If we had won by 1 point people would be saying how well the team is going....
Poor bloody coach.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
After yesterday, I might change my non de plume from Macca to Nostra Damus. We need a kicker!
7 good tries against 3 tries and 2 lucky windfalls.
What a great ref? Yeah right.
If we had won by 1 point people would be saying how well the team is going..
Poor bloody coach.
It was the 'poor bloody coach' who left his poor bloody team without a goal kicker.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Two important lessons from Saturday's loss:
(1) we can't go into 1st grade games against strong opponents without a goalkicker
(2) a line break is only as good as the support for the ball runner

Cayden Matehaere made a successful comeback from injury and played the whole 2nds game at 12 so maybe that's an indication that he will switch positions with Horwitz ie Horwitz will stay at 10. Matehaere must be back in 1sts next week regardless of how well Samu is playing in the centres. We must have a reliable goalkicker. Boileau kicked 3 out of 8 (including a miss from in front), Harvey kicked 7 out of 8. Why didn't Koteczky take over the goal kicking when he came on?

I didn't keep count but Randwick would have made at least twice the number of line breaks as the Rats but lack of support and commited defence enable the Rats to continually turn the ball over at the breakdown or win a penalty for Randwick not releasing.

The combination of these two factors cost us the game.

Sorry guys, I can't blame the ref.
We were our own worst enemies.
If we keep blaming the ref we won't make progress.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Two important lessons from Saturday's loss:
(1) we can't go into 1st grade games against strong opponents without a goalkicker
(2) a line break is only as good as the support for the ball runner

Cayden Matehaere made a successful comeback from injury and played the whole 2nds game at 12 so maybe that's an indication that he will switch positions with Horwitz ie Horwitz will stay at 10. Matehaere must be back in 1sts next week regardless of how well Samu is playing in the centres. We must have a reliable goalkicker. Boileau kicked 3 out of 8 (including a miss from in front), Harvey kicked 7 out of 8. Why didn't Koteczky take over the goal kicking when he came on?

I didn't keep count but Randwick would have made at least twice the number of line breaks as the Rats but lack of support and commited defence enable the Rats to continually turn the ball over at the breakdown or win a penalty for Randwick not releasing.

The combination of these two factors cost us the game.

Sorry guys, I can't blame the ref.
We were our own worst enemies.
If we keep blaming the ref we won't make progress.

Hey Coach and others was at a wedding on saturday so missed the match. Harvey has a funny knack of sinking us. I remember a similar game vs gordon back in 2006 where we lost by 1 and he scored all forty two points!

How did La La play? Who would u bench or drop out of paila, la la and connor for samu? How was Boileau aside from his kicking, Did nugget get a run?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Some people are so inconsiderate when they plot their weddings in the middle of the Footy season!!!

There is about 3 weeks after Grand Finals and before the Cricket season proper starts for all that matrimonial stuff to be held.

Reverend Moon's mass weddings aren't such a bad concept.
Hire the footy stadium, and stick up a stack of marquees at Moore Park for all the Bridal after match functions.

Get it all over and done with.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Hey Coach and others was at a wedding on saturday so missed the match. Harvey has a funny knack of sinking us. I remember a similar game vs gordon back in 2006 where we lost by 1 and he scored all forty two points!

How did La La play? Who would u bench or drop out of paila, la la and connor for samu? How was Boileau aside from his kicking, Did nugget get a run?

La La went OK, but hobbled off mid way thru the 2nd half (his knee is obviously an ongoing problem) and Samu also limped off just before him.

Unfortunately I think we're relying too much on Connor to get to the breakdown and secure the ball as neither La La nor Paila are that mobile and as the match wore on and the guys tired the speed to the breakdown suffered. I'm not sure that both Samu and La La will be fit next week but, if they are, then I think Paila has to miss out with Samu back at 8.

Interesting that there were a number of passing raids between numbers 1,2 and 3 who were playing very wide in the early stages and my mates and I were joking about backs cluttering up the backline.

I still can't believe we led 17-0 (3 tries) after 15 minutes and got beaten.

Harvey of course sunk us in the 1st round this year after coming off the bench at half time (dropped due to poor defence....as if!!!) and kicking a couple of difficult penalties and that bloody field goal from halfway after the bell.

It was really interesting to see Harvey defending on the wing or at fullback whenever Randwick had the ball but he did bring off a good tackle on Rennie to save a try.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Sorry Pete, missed your other question!
I thought Boileau played very well and certainly he and Horwitz got the backline moving. Nugget didn't get on the field.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
La La went OK, but hobbled off mid way thru the 2nd half (his knee is obviously an ongoing problem) and Samu also limped off just before him.

Unfortunately I think we're relying too much on Connor to get to the breakdown and secure the ball as neither La La nor Paila are that mobile and as the match wore on and the guys tired the speed to the breakdown suffered. I'm not sure that both Samu and La La will be fit next week but, if they are, then I think Paila has to miss out with Samu back at 8.

Interesting that there were a number of passing raids between numbers 1,2 and 3 who were playing very wide in the early stages and my mates and I were joking about backs cluttering up the backline.

I still can't believe we led 17-0 (3 tries) after 15 minutes and got beaten.

Harvey of course sunk us in the 1st round this year after coming off the bench at half time (dropped due to poor defence..as if!!!) and kicking a couple of difficult penalties and that bloody field goal from halfway after the bell.

It was really interesting to see Harvey defending on the wing or at fullback whenever Randwick had the ball but he did bring off a good tackle on Rennie to save a try.
Funny how nugget gets so much attention on the forum but never on the field? doesnt the coach like him ? Rugby is a simple game whenever i see nugget pass ,the 10 takes it out in front, with Boileau on the other hand, watch where horwitz has to gather from. Also, as soon as the young fella is under pressure watch for the turnover ball. With the extra kicking duties, is this helping his confidence - especially coming into the pointy end of the season? I suppose its the old live by the sword die by the sword. Coach do you know wether kelly has any of his players contracted in some way, like the Scots or Stallion boys?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interested to hear your comments as to who did not play well?

I agree with the coach in that the boys tired at the back end of each half which was how the Rats got back in.

The high tempo game is great in the first twenty five to thirty minutes but seems to founder in the back ten. thoughts anyone?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Funny how nugget gets so much attention on the forum but never on the field? doesnt the coach like him ? Rugby is a simple game whenever i see nugget pass ,the 10 takes it out in front, with Boileau on the other hand, watch where horwitz has to gather from. Also, as soon as the young fella is under pressure watch for the turnover ball. With the extra kicking duties, is this helping his confidence - especially coming into the pointy end of the season? I suppose its the old live by the sword die by the sword. Coach do you know wether kelly has any of his players contracted in some way, like the Scots or Stallion boys?

Sorry, can't help on that question.

As I've suggested in earlier posts, I believe (no inside knowledge, just my opinion) Kelly is looking longer term than this year and sees the club's future in giving the young guys a go. Having said that, Nugget is hardly in the veteran stage, but he was part of last year's debacle and that may be part of the reason why he's not able to make firsts. I'd suggest he work on his goal kicking -- that might give him an edge ;)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I might add that Horwitz seems to cope regardless of how good the pass from the half back is. Reminds me of the story Nick F-J tells of when he first came into the Wallabies and asked Mark Ella how he wanted him to pass the ball eg low and flat, high and floating, etc. Ella's answer was "you throw them, I'll catch them". Don't know if it's true but it should be as I believe Ella only dropped the ball once in his entire test career.

For the record, I'm not related to Horwitz but gee he impresses me. His passing and ability to put players into gaps is amazing and the kicking game has developed so much since he moved to 10. I think his defence has also improved, but still needs some work.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Interested to hear your comments as to who did not play well?

I agree with the coach in that the boys tired at the back end of each half which was how the Rats got back in.

The high tempo game is great in the first twenty five to thirty minutes but seems to founder in the back ten. thoughts anyone?
I think the tactics are wrong, not the player selection per se.
They have to have a goal kicker.
Perhaps give Nugget a run. Harry the halfback is good however may benefit from a year in Colts.
Three tries were scored against the run of play from referee inspired, or pressure inspired, dropped ball.
It was a game of "what ifs". The set pieces held up well apart from a very odd mistake, the team scored 7 proper tries.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
I might add that Horwitz seems to cope regardless of how good the pass from the half back is. Reminds me of the story Nick F-J tells of when he first came into the Wallabies and asked Mark Ella how he wanted him to pass the ball eg low and flat, high and floating, etc. Ella's answer was "you throw them, I'll catch them". Don't know if it's true but it should be as I believe Ella only dropped the ball once in his entire test career.

For the record, I'm not related to Horwitz but gee he impresses me. His passing and ability to put players into gaps is amazing and the kicking game has developed so much since he moved to 10. I think his defence has also improved, but still needs some work.
Agree horwitz a cut above no questioning his catching ability,just imagine the extra metre he would have in attack if he is actually always running onto it. He has to regather and then move therein the difference. Back when Ella played i think the defence may have been a little different to what horwitz is expeirencing already. The kick he put in the corner for the resultant try was wonderful against the rats, can you see the 9 Boileau make mistakes when under pressure? What a wonderful sight to see randwick in full attack in the dry coach kelly take a bow! the worry is how many tries are scored through broken play with busts from Lala and Pete S.The games coming up will be the acid test when there is an organised attacking defence.How many games will Heptema and Horwitz miss out for this tour , hopefully none!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree horwitz a cut above no questioning his catching ability,just imagine the extra metre he would have in attack if he is actually always running onto it. He has to regather and then move therein the difference. Back when Ella played i think the defence may have been a little different to what horwitz is expeirencing already. The kick he put in the corner for the resultant try was wonderful against the rats, can you see the 9 Boileau make mistakes when under pressure? What a wonderful sight to see randwick in full attack in the dry coach kelly take a bow! the worry is how many tries are scored through broken play with busts from Lala and Pete S.The games coming up will be the acid test when there is an organised attacking defence.How many games will Heptema and Horwitz miss out for this tour , hopefully none!

Unfortunately they'll be away for 2 games: round 16 v Norths (home) and 17 v Souths (away).

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Nugget has had a good year in twos and his pass has been pretty crisp. At times last year and also whilst trialling in 1's at the start of the year his decision making and reading of the play/ executing of the game plan has not been great. Think this is where Kelly sees Boileau as more reliable, particulary in executing the game plan and hitting the right runners.

Personally I thought early on in the year this was a fair judgement call but on form of late . their is a case for Nugget to get a start. That being said I have every faith that Kelly is picking what he deems to be the best side for the team to win.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
Nugget has had a good year in twos and his pass has been pretty crisp. At times last year and also whilst trialling in 1's at the start of the year his decision making and reading of the play/ executing of the game plan has not been great. Think this is where Kelly sees Boileau as more reliable, particulary in executing the game plan and hitting the right runners.

Personally I thought early on in the year this was a fair judgement call but on form of late . their is a case for Nugget to get a start. That being said I have every faith that Kelly is picking what he deems to be the best side for the team to win.
Mmmmm, good to see, but and a big but he seems to be building a very exclusive club in ones,to win are we ? not much opposition of late . A opposition that can handle marking up in defence with a 15 that can cover, is a different story,and hopefully it doesnt rain at the same time , this taken into account we should be ok. finals?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Mmmmm, good to see, but and a big but he seems to be building a very exclusive club in ones,to win are we ? not much opposition of late . A opposition that can handle marking up in defence with a 15 that can cover, is a different story,and hopefully it doesnt rain at the same time , this taken into account we should be ok. finals?
I think that there has been a marked improvement on last year with a eye for the future as coach suggests. Munro, Horwitz, Boileau, Reni, Heptema, samu. All could have played colts or were at school last year. Also Roy, Norton, Pennington, Johnson and Jessie Harris are colts who have been blooded in 1s and 2's.

Not sure that its an exclusive club up the top - Tristan Goodbody who played the majority of last year in 3s and 4's has been picked in the front row based on form.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
They will sneak into the finals, I think Eastwood, Uni and Manly will be much to strong for the current side but they are a chance against the others (Souths,wests, norths, rats)

Status
Not open for further replies.