• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Claimed (!) ages:
Aho 26
Hodgetts 24-25 (guess)
Asa 26
Munro 21 (guess)
Ingram 31
Connor 20
Lam 24
Paila 22
Boileau 19
Horwitz 18
Ford 21
Wright 30
Samu 21
Hepetema 21
Lautolo26

BTW, there's a tweet on the Wicks website suggesting Drew Mitchell is playing on the wing against the Woods.
Thanks Sideline Sid
Lautolo played Colts last year so must be 20 as is Munro I think. That makes the average age even younger!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
took 130 minutes at coogee for Wicks to show a bit of their potential but it was to little to late. Think it is a good indication that their is a bit of a gap between Uni, Eastwood, Manly and the rest of the comp. Sure we could say it may have been different on a dry track but you have to play all conditions. Thought Goodbody, Paila and Mitchell Were strong for us and Ford,Helliwell and the big american prop made some impact off the bench.

Think Boileau is still a bit green but will eventually be a top player... Too persist?

Would like to see Terrence in at 12 and Wright 13 samu back into the forwards but at who's expense??

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What a miserable day.
I thought that Eastwood always looked in control with their defence well organised and lots of talk. Their tight five must have been coached by Usain Bolt as they were faster than the ball off the line, in defence.
randwick did their best , which given the weather, was very good , especially in the second half of the second half. Connor was very good and tried hard getting a few turnovers in the first half.
The Eastwood back line was very well directed by the 10 , and they played wet weather football very well. looked like an " All kings back line".
In all, the difference was the experience of a very good side , able to score when required, against a young side that are on a strong learning curve. Wet or Dry , the wicks were going to struggle against this well drilled team, but to their credit ,they finished the stronger.
Both clubs have good depth but it was pleasing to see the thirds and fourths for wicks get up after both starting poorly.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What a miserable day.
I thought that Eastwood always looked in control with their defence well organised and lots of talk. Their tight five must have been coached by Usain Bolt as they were faster than the ball off the line, in defence.
randwick did their best , which given the weather, was very good , especially in the second half of the second half. Connor was very good and tried hard getting a few turnovers in the first half.
The Eastwood back line was very well directed by the 10 , and they played wet weather football very well. looked like an " All kings back line".
In all, the difference was the experience of a very good side , able to score when required, against a young side that are on a strong learning curve. Wet or Dry , the wicks were going to struggle against this well drilled team, but to their credit ,they finished the stronger.
Both clubs have good depth but it was pleasing to see the thirds and fourths for wicks get up after both starting poorly.
Thanks Sid. Where to from here?
Cant see the Beasties being easy and Woollhara Oval being dry on Saturday week.
Perhaps we all just dismiss yesterday due to the weather and recall the previous form.
Do we need to give Harry the Halfback more time to develop? Helliwell seemed to spark things when he cam eon.
What happened to the other fly half (Cayden?). I say him at 5/8 Horwill at 12, Terrence at 13, Ford & Lautolo wings and Toby Brown fullback.
As for the piggies, I like Connor at 7, Samu @ 8, LaLa at 6 second rowers same maybe look at Ingram being swapped, front row same with Halangahu at 2.
I rank us behind Manly, Uni, Eastwood, Souths & Easts at present. Will we pick up any Super 15 players?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As I understand it, Wicks are building depth which will hold them in good stead in a year or two. The current setup has improved the game style and it seems the players are happy, so why change. Some young men are still growing into their bodies,and looking through the grades there are a number of players able to step up if called.
IMO the young guns have been very good and growing in confidence, wet weather aside, but I believe the coach is now entitled to mix it up a bit.
Toovey at 6 and Speechly at 8 , wakim at 14 , Heliwell at 9!might add a different dimension. I would keep Horowitz at 10 for a bit longer as he is growing each game.
I am sure that the set up has the club's best interests in mind, so it will be interesting to see what if any changes they make over the next few weeks.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The Wicks strategy is not about success in 2013, but the playoffs are still the pass mark for this year. As suggested, there's clearly a gap between Eastwood, Uni, Manly and Souths (once the S15 players return) and the rest. I'm not an advocate of the top 8 being in the playoffs as in any given year there'll be 2-3 teams which aren't competitive so effectively almost every other team makes the playoffs. Let's get back to top 5 or top 6 and full home and away.
In my opinion, the Wicks goal is to build a team and provide S15 players within the next 2-3 years.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
According to the NSWRU website the Randwick v Eastwood 2nds game (postponed from last Saturday) is at Latham Park on Wednesday 3/7 (tomorrow) at 7:15pm.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A pleasant Wednesday evening watching a bit of colts and reserve grade where Eastwood prevailed in all three games.
The bit I watched of colts , I thought the teams , third grade, seemed fairly even in ability but Eastwood made their ball count. Wicks looked good throwing it wide but seemed to,loose it at the breakdown.
Watching reserve grade ,it seemed that there was a lot of 'youth' on show for the Wicks. It looked as if Wicks were short on experience out back and a few options taken were without thought. Having said that, the red head flanker was very good ,showing good pace to get a winger on the fly. This did not look like the usual reserve grade team and certainly they did not play with any panache. Coach will confirm if this was the case.
The breakdown seems to be the Achilles heel for all the Wicks teams as when they get a strong forward pack in front of them they get pushed around and off the ball. Longfellow is much fitter now than at the beginning but he needs his bulk at the breakdown rather than taking the A spot and watching. I imagine this is the play directive rather than his own thought. Anyway, he will go back to the uk a much improved player.
Sydney uni v the colts will be interesting this week and I hear that Norton will be back to direct the rear though they have lost Anderson who seems to get them over the gain line
'

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone know what the story is with Cayden Matehaere?
I don't think he's played since the Uni game.
Is he injured or gone elsewhere?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone know what the story is with Cayden Matehaere?
I don't think he's played since the Uni game.
Is he injured or gone elsewhere?
I had heard he has a neck injury however may be back soon. Not sure how current that info is.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I see that David Horwitz is playing flyhalf for the GGs after earlier playing inside centre.

To Randwick tragics who watch the team most weekends — how is he going?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I see that David Horwitz is playing flyhalf for the GGs after earlier playing inside centre.

To Randwick tragics who watch the team most weekends — how is he going?

IMO he's going well.
His defence is OK and his passing and decision making are excellent. Not so sure about his kicking game but that's not really part of the Wicks approach this year anyway. He made a few mistakes against Eastwood but the whole team struggled in the conditions that day. I think he'll probably be moved back to 12 when Matehaere returns but he's going OK at 10 for the time being. Hard to believe he's still only 18 and has come straight from school last year to first grade.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
IMO he's going well.
His defence is OK and his passing and decision making are excellent. Not so sure about his kicking game but that's not really part of the Wicks approach this year anyway. He made a few mistakes against Eastwood but the whole team struggled in the conditions that day. I think he'll probably be moved back to 12 when Matehaere returns but he's going OK at 10 for the time being. Hard to believe he's still only 18 and has come straight from school last year to first grade.
He struggled in the mud and tried to play running rugby whilst ankle deep in shit for a couple of weeks, but he looks to have potential

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Great win today. Randwick forwards really smashed the much larger and highly acclaimed Easts pack and IMO, paved the way for a very courageous win.
If they can keep the intensity up, they may just shock a few higher ranked sides.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A very pleasant sunny day at arguably the best club rugby venue Easts.
Five grades played with Wicks getting four out of five wins.
What will happen if only two grades are allowed per club in the future????
Wicks fourths stole the game at the end and Easts returned the compliment by stealing third grade.
Seconds went to Wicks comfortably though the game was very even and the score line did not accurately reflect the ebb and flow. Special mention to the Wicks tall winger who was a handful all day.
First grade had Easts as the favourites .
Wicks scored an early try with a breakout which left an Easts second row out cold. Easts then went on the attack and as they applied pressure Wicks gave penalty away which finally led to a score of 5-3. Momentum had swung Easts way and they were relentless in attack for fifteen minutes but without a result. Easts 8 was into everything and slowing Wicks ball. Wicks defended hard and as the momentum swung their way Easts got a yellow card. Now it was Easts turn to defend which they did very well showing good organisation. Easts now started giving away penalties and finally Wicks got a try in the forwards.
Half time and Wicks lead 15-6
Easts come out and go straight into attack pressing the Wicks line . Wicks defence hold - just before they get a turnover and breakout for a quickly taken try against the run of play.
It seems the Wicks are slightly hungrier and their defence is working overtime.
At this point I have to say the breakdown has become a lottery. Each side is penalised and I will have to check the rule book to know why.
Connor for Wicks is having a blinder but then he gets a card. Easts take a quick tap after sustained pressure and a few phases later they swing wide to score. 22-13 . Wwicks kick off and Fay in the centres for Easts is through and running upfield majestically. He is caught but Easts are only metres from Wicks line
And somehow Wicks get a penalty to get them out of trouble.
Easts attack hard but Wicks tackle well but a last minute penalty to Easts to get them within the 7 points is missed.
For Easts , I thoughtFay was very good although he was hit very hard a number of times, the number 8 was a handful before being subbed and the halfback shaded his opposite.
For Wicks, Connor was a standout, fullback did very well and Ford had some very good touches. Half back for Wicks was scragged quite a few times but never lost his composure and Horowitz was composed all game.
Wicks defence won this game.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A defining game for mine. After looking pretty average in the Wet v Manly and Eastwood Randwick looked to have regrouped and really played with some gusto and pride particularly as Sid mentioned in the second half defending a man down (twice).

Nio Halanghu (2) showed some great leadership, (3)Toa Asa answered some questions about his scrummaging feeding his opposite all game, Nathan paila and Tom connor (8&7) were everywhere, Horwitz (10) was class and so mature for an 18 year old but Man of the match performance was from fullback Rennie Lautaulo - look dangerous with ball in hand all game setting up first try, kicked incredibly well and made his tackles.

Back to Coogee and I reckon the coaching staff will be praying for no more rain this year.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
A defining game for mine. After looking pretty average in the Wet v Manly and Eastwood Randwick looked to have regrouped and really played with some gusto and pride particularly as Sid mentioned in the second half defending a man down (twice).

Nio Halanghu (2) showed some great leadership, (3)Toa Asa answered some questions about his scrummaging feeding his opposite all game, Nathan paila and Tom connor (8&7) were everywhere, Horwitz (10) was class and so mature for an 18 year old but Man of the match performance was from fullback Rennie Lautaulo - look dangerous with ball in hand all game setting up first try, kicked incredibly well and made his tackles.

Back to Coogee and I reckon the coaching staff will be praying for no more rain this year.

Good call re man of the match Pete.
I was unsure about the move of Rennie to FB but he's grown in confidence and it gives him more room to attack. His decision making is also better than Ford who was playing FB earlier in the season. I still think there's a case for Toby Browne being in 1sts somewhere -- another strong performance from him in 2nds. The Wicks will be a handful for all teams except maybe the top 2-3 on a dry track for the rest of the year.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Good call re man of the match Pete.
I was unsure about the move of Rennie to FB but he's grown in confidence and it gives him more room to attack. His decision making is also better than Ford who was playing FB earlier in the season. I still think there's a case for Toby Browne being in 1sts somewhere -- another strong performance from him in 2nds. The Wicks will be a handful for all teams except maybe the top 2-3 on a dry track for the rest of the year.
Astute observations Coach & Pete King. Cayden the 5/8 is due back in the next week or so I hear. Also, we continue to miss kicks at goal that we need to convert. That makes Toby Browne's inclusion seem more compelling. Don't know where you can play all these guys. Who could you leave out? Cayden is a goal kicker? Could Toby Browne play wing?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Astute observations Coach & Pete King. Cayden the 5/8 is due back in the next week or so I hear. Also, we continue to miss kicks at goal that we need to convert. That makes Toby Browne's inclusion seem more compelling. Don't know where you can play all these guys. Who could you leave out? Cayden is a goal kicker? Could Toby Browne play wing?

Cayden should play at 10 and take over the goal kicking. I would move Samu back to 8 with Paila dropping back to 2nds. With Cayden back there probably isn't room for Browne as he's too slow for the wing IMO. So the backline would be:
Boileau (half)
Matehaere (10)
Horwitz (12)
Hepetema (13)
Ford and Wright (wingers)
Lautolo (FB)

But until Cayden's available I'd think about bringing Browne in at 10 and still moving Samu back to 8. The mix might change again however if Beale and / or Mitchell are available.

Our remaining games are:
Warringah (home)
Penrith (away)
Norths (home)
Souths (away)
Uni (home)

Warringah, Souths and Uni will be boosted by returning S15 players so they'll be tough to beat. I think we need to win the next 3 games to be sure of making the playoffs.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cayden should play at 10 and take over the goal kicking. I would move Samu back to 8 with Paila dropping back to 2nds. With Cayden back there probably isn't room for Browne as he's too slow for the wing IMO. So the backline would be:
Boileau (half)
Matehaere (10)
Horwitz (12)
Hepetema (13)
Ford and Wright (wingers)
Lautolo (FB)

But until Cayden's available I'd think about bringing Browne in at 10 and still moving Samu back to 8. The mix might change again however if Beale and / or Mitchell are available.

Our remaining games are:
Warringah (home)
Penrith (away)
Norths (home)
Souths (away)
Uni (home)

Warringah, Souths and Uni will be boosted by returning S15 players so they'll be tough to beat. I think we need to win the next 3 games to be sure of making the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see which way Kelly goes for those last games and all things going well the elimination semis. The main criticism of Toby is that he doesnt take on the line and ask enough questions. To be honest and hurts me to say I think this has been a good call (pains me as Toby is a great fella, has been very loyal and had to endure a really tough year last year) the side seems to go better with Cayden or horwitz as chief playmaker.

Id like to see Samu back in the forwards too and it will happen but Coach I think Paila has been an absolute workhorse and close to our best the last few rounds. His fitness and work rate is much better then LaLa who to me is still at bit unfit. Wouldnt be a bad move to have a fresh reserve out of the 4 available backrow with possible paila starting at 7 and Connor coming on at half time for La La. Again this would depend on opposition - Connor would have to play full game against Uni with la la and paila sharing IMO.

The only other position under a bit of scrutiny would be Boileau at 9. I think his pass was pretty ordinary a times over the last three rounds even in the dry on Saturday. Doesnt bother me that he doesnt go himself as we have pace and skill out wide but possibly nugget if he can keep his composure is a better choice.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Cayden return at 12 and Horwitz stay at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.