• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Fantasy Super rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would you sub out Pocock for Messam in this round though? Pocock could score well vs the Rebels, if he gets involved more in attack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would you sub out Pocock for Messam in this round though? Pocock could score well vs the Rebels, if he gets involved more in attack.

I was going to have a backrow of Pocock, Messam and Coetzee I think if I have enough transfers.

Higgers is definitely going for Messam and Delve might go for Coetzee. Pocock is there already and can stay.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
How about Kyle Godwin ($102k) or Demetri Catrakilis ($80k)? Both cheap fly halves for the reserve spot. For me, Catrakilis is a bit of a wild card, and I know nothing about him whatsoever. Leaning towards Godwin.

Charlie Piatau looks like a pretty good buy at $175k. Not sure if he's worth dumping Ioane for as a starter, but that'd sure give me a heap of spare cash (around $200k).

BTW, anyone else notice that you can now undo your transfers? Means that you can do the transfers early in the week now.

I would go for Godwin over Catrakilis.

BH has a good point, some of the Hurricanes boys scored pretty big last year, but leaked a lot of points. Piatau regularly cuts teams to shreds, and I am banking on him doing something similar this weekend. Hopefully the Hurricanes boys I have picked will do much the same.

A quick check of the weather suggests that it won't be raining in Wellington this weekend, so the Canes/Blues could be a very open game.

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)
I thought Rathbone might have been benched if Speight was right to go. With Rathbone starting i think i will keep him in my team. Didn't score a lot of points last week but is quite cheap for a starter.

I think I will still wait until after Rugby HQ on fox sports tonight to set my lineup. It's usually good for a few hints and tips. Saved me last week with the late release of the Force team list I wasn't aware that Honey Badger wasn't playing.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Alright, my big gamble of the round is having Kyle Godwin at 10 while Cruden rides the pine. Let's see if it pays off.

Reactions: Ash

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Just checked on Folau - it is because he's been moved to outside backs when he was originally listed as a centre. I guess that means I have to use up a transfer to get him back in?

Well that's fucked up, means I'm a player down this week already. So because Fox can't get their shit together and have player listed in the correct positions from the get go, punters have to pay..... grrrr....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As a rookie to fantasy rugby, was just wondering if someone could be so kind as to clarify whether you choose the best XV possible and fill the other 7 spots with bench warmers or if you go for an all round 23 where all get onto the field.
If you choose the first strategy you will run into two problems:
  1. Late injury withdrawals among your starting 15 can leave you caught short if your transfers for that week are exhausted.
  2. Not so much a problem this year because there are no consecutive weeks with three byes, but you can run into trouble if you get injuries in your run-on team coinciding with players on byes and you just run out of transfers to achieve 15 starting players. Happened to me two years ago, boy was I cursing the fantasy gods!
A sort of half way strategy is to identify newbies who are cheap but going to score well. Last year Coetzee and Stander were examples, though Stander tailed off badly at the end of the season. Coetzee was an absolute star for me. So, if you're good enough to identify 4 or 5 of these type of players for your bench you will stay under the salary cap and still get really good scores. The trick is to pick only "Coetzee's" and give "Stander's" a miss. Hard to do, but works a treat when you hit a sweet spot.

Charles Piatau of the Blues could be a good pick for an outside back. He is pretty cheap too.

Agree. The Blues' Albert Nikoro has looked really good in the trials too, but you'd want to check the team lists before selecting him.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anscombe has been goal kicking for the Chiefs throughout the trials. Something to keep in mind.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks Hawko for the tips. Will keep in mind.

I thought I would put some team lists here as well as I found a few already announced:

Hurricanes
1. Ben Franks, 2. Dane Coles, 3. Ben May, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 5. Jason Eaton, 6. Victor Vito, 7. Karl Lowe, 8. Brad Shields, 9. TJ Perenara, 10. Beauden Barrett, 11. Julian Savea, 12. Tim Bateman, 13. Conrad Smith (c), 14. Alapati Leiua, 15. Andre Taylor
Replacements: 16. Ash Dixon, 17. Reggie Goodes, 18. Mark Reddish, 19. Faifili Levave, 20. Chris Smylie, 21. James Marshall, 22. Reynold Lee-Lo

Chiefs
1. Pauliasi Manu, 2. Hika Elliot, 3. Ben Afeaki, 4. Craig Clarke (c) , 5. Brodie Retallick, 6. Liam Messam, 7. Sam Cane, 8. Fritz Lee, 9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 10. Aaron Cruden, 11. Asaeli Tikoirotuma, 12. Bundee Aki, 13. Tim Nanai-Williams, 14. Patrick Osborne , 15. Gareth Anscombe
Replacements: 16. Rhys Marshall, 17. Ben Tameifuna, 18. Michael Fitzgerald, 19. Tanerau Latimer, 20. Augustine Pulu, 21. Charlie Ngatai, 22. Lelia Masaga

Blues
1. Tom McCartney, 2. James Parsons, 3. Charlie Faumuina, 4. Culum Retallick, 5. Ali Williams, 6. Steven Luatua, 7. Luke Braid, 8. Peter Saili, 9. Piri Weepu, 10. Chris Noakes, 11. George Moala, 12. Francis Saili, 13. Rene Ranger, 14. Frank Halai, 15. Charles Piutau.
Replacements: 16. Quentin MacDonald, 17. Angus Ta'avao, 18. Liaki Moli, 19. Brendon O'Connor, 20. Bryn Hall, 21. Baden Kerr, 22. Jackson Willison.

Cheetahs
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Willie le Roux, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Robert Ebersohn, 11. Raymond Rhule, 10. Johan Goosen, 9. Piet van Zyl, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Lappies Labuschagne, 6. Frans Viljoen, 5. Francois Uys, 4. Lood de Jager, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1. Trevor Nyakane.
Replacements: Ryno Barnes, Coenie Oosthuizen, Waltie Vermeulen, Boom Prinsloo, Sarel Pretorius, Elgar Watts, Ryno Benjamin.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
1. There's a player who was the best scorer (points per game wise) in his position last year. He's out for 8 weeks and his replacement is 150K

2. The best scorer at flyhalf is not what you would call a big name.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thinking Canes/Blues will be an open game with plenty of linebreaks for the loosies, Luatua will get through plenty of work and has an offloading game. Retallick will be a workhorse in a tight game making his tackles but no real attacking opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.