• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Fantasy Super rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I got Folau on to my bench last week ready to bring him into the starting lineup this week. I'm going with that strategy but given how poorly I went it round 1, I would ignore what I'm doing :)

Haha, yes I'm very much looking forward to the next podslam to hear how you go this weekend. Meh, I'm in 7th place in our league and 225th overall so I'm not going too bad. I think the key is to pick guys who consistently score rather than those who might have a blinder. Can tell you what though, Higgers is definitely getting the boot this week.

Trajan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I got Folau on to my bench last week ready to bring him into the starting lineup this week. I'm going with that strategy but given how poorly I went it round 1, I would ignore what I'm doing :)
Hey Trajan et al, what would be your thoughts on picking an untried back this week in Israel Folau? He's scored a couple of tries in the trials and is pretty good at beating his man/breaking tackles. Is it too much of a gamble or am I better getting in early (I'm predicting a big price rise over the next couple of weeks)?
I see where your coming from Swat. With only 0.5 ownership if you get on early its a great kickstart. For 300K you expect some bang for your buck. Israel has a point to prove after the AFL debacle and has been playing well in the trials. The Reds are the last team that you wanted playing Folau. After their loss to the Brumbies they will make it a point of honour to keep Folau out and lets face it, the Waratah's attack is a fragile thing. I would of liked him as a reserve for 200K or so but at that price I am looking elsewhere as are most of the other managers. However Swat I told you to get Moore over Robinson so I am amazed your asking me and Folau is quite capable of blowing the Reds up if they let him run rampant. Your photo of Cummins is priceless, good luck.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If Folau starts he may be a good buy, but if he isn't a regular in the XV it will be hard to justify having him. Hard to see him not starting, at least this week, with the injuries in the halves removing some competition. Could be a very inexperienced backline.

Not sure what to do with Higgers, there are several cheaper backrowers that should score just as well. Also don't expect him to have the same opportunity at the Rebels as they have a couple of other forwards that like to play wide eg. Pyle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Folau starts he may be a good buy, but if he isn't a regular in the XV it will be hard to justify having him. Hard to see him not starting, at least this week, with the injuries in the halves removing some competition. Could be a very inexperienced backline.

The likely backline is:

McKibbin
Foley
Kingston/Turner
Carter
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Mitchell/Turner
Folau

If both Mitchell and Turner end up playing I'd guess that backline has more Super Rugby experience than the Reds backline they will face.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
All the stories I've seen put Foley in doubt. I realise there is lots of experience in some positions but 2 debutants in one week is an inexperienced backline at this level and could make things difficult, but I see your point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All the stories I've seen put Foley in doubt. I realise there is lots of experience in some positions but 2 debutants in one week is an inexperienced backline at this level and could make things difficult, but I see your point.

Foley trained fully from Monday. Unless something goes wrong later in the week he'll be starting.*

* touch wood.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Excellent, I read somewhere this morning he didn't train Monday and would be looked at later in the week.

Yeah, I just read that on Foxsports too, but Badger and Lee Grant said this in the Tahs thread:

Badger (I assume from talking to Foley at the Tahs season launch last week): Foley said he will be having a run today (Monday 18/02/2013) to see if he is a chance to get on the plane to Brisbane.
Lee Grant: He trained well in a long session this arvo (Monday). I'd expect him to start.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Something weird going on with Falou, I drafted him in & now instead of his name it says UNAVAILABLE! With his info button in red, as in injured..... Hope that glitch is sorted by the weekend!
Has anybody else tried the undo transfers feature? Not working for me......

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As a rookie to fantasy rugby, was just wondering if someone could be so kind as to clarify whether you choose the best XV possible and fill the other 7 spots with bench warmers or if you go for an all round 23 where all get onto the field.

Which leads to my next query: can you switch in bench players into the xv before said substituted player's match begins? So could I sub Moore out after his match for Lewis from the Stormers.
Thanks

Trajan

Allen Oxlade (6)
As a rookie to fantasy rugby, was just wondering if someone could be so kind as to clarify whether you choose the best XV possible and fill the other 7 spots with bench warmers or if you go for an all round 23 where all get onto the field.

Which leads to my next query: can you switch in bench players into the xv before said substituted player's match begins? So could I sub Moore out after his match for Lewis from the Stormers.
Thanks
In a perfect world Bairdy you would ensure all your squad was running on every week however financial constraints force you to compromise. Go for the best 15 you can muster and try and get some rookies and cheap players who are overachieving this season. If your reserve isn't playing a certain week no need to panic, just ensure your run on team is correct. There will always be that last minute change that may possibly do you in. You cannot change any players after lockout takes effect usually Friday arvo with the 1st Kiwi game. Your reserve can only come on if your run on player in that position did not play at all in his game that round. If the run on player only plays 5 minutes and then gets injured and taken off your stuck with his score regardless. Check out Chiefs and Hurricanes team lists as there are a couple of rookies that may help you with your reserves. Good luck with your team and make maximum use of your 6 transfers this round. Be wary of players who have a bye next round namely Brumbies, Highlanders and Southern Kings.

MatWhal

Frank Row (1)
Something weird going on with Falou, I drafted him in & now instead of his name it says UNAVAILABLE! With his info button in red, as in injured... Hope that glitch is sorted by the weekend!
Has anybody else tried the undo transfers feature? Not working for me..
That "UNAVAILABLE" glitch happened to me as well, I think it was because I had AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) selected as an inside back earlier in the week and he's now listed as an outside back?

Not sure why that's happening with Falou though?? I would have thought he would have always been listed as an outside back.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In a perfect world Bairdy you would ensure all your squad was running on every week however financial constraints force you to compromise. Go for the best 15 you can muster and try and get some rookies and cheap players who are overachieving this season. If your reserve isn't playing a certain week no need to panic, just ensure your run on team is correct. There will always be that last minute change that may possibly do you in. You cannot change any players after lockout takes effect usually Friday arvo with the 1st Kiwi game. Your reserve can only come on if your run on player in that position did not play at all in his game that round. If the run on player only plays 5 minutes and then gets injured and taken off your stuck with his score regardless. Check out Chiefs and Hurricanes team lists as there are a couple of rookies that may help you with your reserves. Good luck with your team and make maximum use of your 6 transfers this round. Be wary of players who have a bye next round namely Brumbies, Highlanders and Southern Kings.
Thanks for the info Trajan, I have a week or two to undo some of the damage I did to my team in terms of transferring too early ;)

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
That "UNAVAILABLE" glitch happened to me as well, I think it was because I had AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) selected as an inside back earlier in the week and he's now listed as an outside back?

Not sure why that's happening with Falou though?? I would have thought he would have always been listed as an outside back.

Just checked on Folau - it is because he's been moved to outside backs when he was originally listed as a centre. I guess that means I have to use up a transfer to get him back in?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think I am one who will be trading Higgers out. Higgers may struggle to score if the Brumbies play the same sort of game plan against the Rebels that they did against the Reds.

I will probably bring in Coetzee, who will be playing the Kings in round 3, but Messam is also tempting as he will be playing the Kings in round 4. I am thinking of bringing in Messam in round 3 instead for McCalman. McCalman may score big vs the Kings.

Similarly I've subbed Speight for JP Peterson. Really regret picking Speight over Mogg now!

Ioane will also be subbed once I find a good played to pick. Maybe a Canes outside back.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Team so far, with 4 still to be subbed this week:

Slipper, Alexander (res: PAE)
Moore (res: Hika Elliot)
Retallick, Pyle (res: AWH - I need to sub him for a cheap benchwarmer)
Coetzee, McCalman, Pocock (res: Savea)
Alby (res: Stirzacker)
Lealiifano (res: Francis)
JOC (James O'Connor), Taps (res: Ngatai)
Ioane, JP Pieterson, Mafi (res: McNicholl)

Taps will be subbed this week, as will Ioane. Open to suggestions who for...

Pocock will be subbed too in the next few weeks, as going by the last year he is more expensive than what he will consistently score.

I'm a bit worried that my stab at subs has been painfully wrong. I might need to find some cheap subs that are starters in the near future.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
How about Kyle Godwin ($102k) or Demetri Catrakilis ($80k)? Both cheap fly halves for the reserve spot. For me, Catrakilis is a bit of a wild card, and I know nothing about him whatsoever. Leaning towards Godwin.

Charlie Piatau looks like a pretty good buy at $175k. Not sure if he's worth dumping Ioane for as a starter, but that'd sure give me a heap of spare cash (around $200k).

BTW, anyone else notice that you can now undo your transfers? Means that you can do the transfers early in the week now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am banking on Andre Taylor, Liam Messam, Marcel Coetzee, and Francis Hougaard being strong again this year.

The Hurricanes backs were strong fantasy scorers last year and the match up against the Blues is pretty favourable so that seems a reasonable game to look to target this round. The Hurricanes also leaked many points last year so some Blues players could be good for this round.

In essence, you want to pick games that look like they'll be touch football contests and just hope you pick the players that make it across the tryline!

Status
Not open for further replies.