• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Fantasy Super rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji

Frank Row (1)
Obviously this is all conditional on the XVs being announced, but here is what I'm working with:

Transfers - Steyn in for Anscombe, Serfontein in for Lance, Folau for Piutau. (Hate to give up Piutau, but I'm also committed to not picking too many players who are being picked in over 25-30% of teams just for the sake of variety. So one hugely popular fullback for another - Folau's in fine form and I suspect we will need him for Week 17.)

B. Franks/Cowan (B. Robinson)
(c) Moore (Cooper)
Retallick/Romano (Luatua) - torn here, all three are in good form - may bench Retallick
Messam/Higginbotham/G. Smith (T. Ioane)
Genia (Perenara) - another tough decision
Steyn (Lilo) - I reckon Optimus Morne will kick plenty of goals against the Highlanders and maybe even create some linebreaks for the likes of.
Serfontein/Aki (Horne) - Horne's in good form but I worry Brumbies/Tahs may have limited scoring opportunities for the midfield
Speight/Folau/Davies (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper))

As you can see, I have 10 Aussies set to play in Week 17 already in the squad - and while this may have resulted in a drop in quality, I'm so far behind (79th in G&GR, 2,055th Overall) that it's a bit of fun to play guys who aren't quite as popular in the hopes of picking up points that others are missing out on.

Why has everyone gone off Serfontein? (He's only in 5% of teams now.) Concerns that he will be withdrawn from the Bulls to play for the Baby Boks seem to be unfounded: http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/co...&sn=Detail&pid=146826&Jan-available-for-Bulls

Any thoughts of course welcome. Good luck to all.

You have 10 aussies set to play in week 17 but how sure are you that Moore, G. Smith, Higginbotham, Genia, Lilo, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Speight will be allowed to play? Surely the ARU will side with Deans and stop them playing that week?

HSM

Allen Oxlade (6)
You have 10 aussies set to play in week 17 but how sure are you that Moore, G. Smith, Higginbotham, Genia, Lilo, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Speight will be allowed to play? Surely the ARU will side with Deans and stop them playing that week?

Cheers for the warning Benji - I did not realize Deans had requested that those players not play for their Super teams that week. Is there an article you can link me to? Genia is on a bye that week and Speight is not eligible to play for Australia, but I would certainly be concerned about the others!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheers for the warning Benji - I did not realize Deans had requested that those players not play for their Super teams that week. Is there an article you can link me to? Genia is on a bye that week and Speight is not eligible to play for Australia, but I would certainly be concerned about the others!

It has definitely been stated earlier in the season that the initial 25 man Lions squad won't be playing round 17 where the Rebels host the Brumbies and the Force host the Tahs.

Jake White was making rumblings that he wanted his players available if they are in finals contention but I can't imagine they'll be given that concession against the Rebels who will also be missing their two best players (Higgers and JOC (James O'Connor)) and Beale also won't be playing.

Reactions: HSM

HSM

Allen Oxlade (6)
It has definitely been stated earlier in the season that the initial 25 man Lions squad won't be playing round 17 where the Rebels host the Brumbies and the Force host the Tahs.

Jake White was making rumblings that he wanted his players available if they are in finals contention but I can't imagine they'll be given that concession against the Rebels who will also be missing their two best players (Higgers and JOC (James O'Connor)) and Beale also won't be playing.

Wow I missed that completely, thanks Braveheart. Will have to reshuffle in preparation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My team for this week is currently:

Slipper, B Franks (Ta'avao)
Robinson (c), (Strauss)
Pyle, Luatua (Bernardo)
Messam, Gill, Labuschagne (TJ Ioane)
Mathewson (White)
Lealiifano (Godwin)
R Ebersohn, Horne (JOC (James O'Connor))
Folau, B Smith, Piutau (Foley)

I still have one transfer up my sleeve and am unsure where to use it.

Queries at the moment are whether I play:
- Ben Franks against the Chiefs or Angus Ta'avao against the Crusaders
- Ged Robinson or Adriaan Strauss
- Foley or B Smith

On paper, Horne is the weakest person in my side and has a tough matchup against the Brumbies but JOC (James O'Connor) is injured and there aren't a lot of quality centres running around.

FazzDog

Frank Nicholson (4)
My team for this week is currently:

Slipper, B Franks (Ta'avao)
Robinson (c), (Strauss)
Pyle, Luatua (Bernardo)
Messam, Gill, Labuschagne (TJ Ioane)
Mathewson (White)
Lealiifano (Godwin)
R Ebersohn, Horne (JOC (James O'Connor))
Folau, B Smith, Piutau (Foley)

I still have one transfer up my sleeve and am unsure where to use it.

Queries at the moment are whether I play:
- Ben Franks against the Chiefs or Angus Ta'avao against the Crusaders
- Ged Robinson or Adriaan Strauss
- Foley or B Smith

On paper, Horne is the weakest person in my side and has a tough matchup against the Brumbies but JOC (James O'Connor) is injured and there aren't a lot of quality centres running around.

In response to your queries, my opinion would be:

Franks over Ta'avao - we saw Franks up against the Stormers recently, big game = big effort on his part. Ta'avao will likely have a strong game also considering Crusaders seem to be off and his work rate is incredible, especially his ball running. Still stick with Franks over Ta'avao...just.

Strauss over Robinson - Strauss, again only just. If I had my choice I'd pick Fourie (STO) but Strauss would be second. Coming into form as the Cheetahs forward packs is beginning to ignite and with JOC (James O'Connor) out the Rebels have lost a player who really makes you think defensively. I just don't feel that the Rebels will shine as bright without him.

Foley over Ben Smith - purely because the 'Tahs have opted to give him a go, he could have been on the bench this round. Think he will step up due to this and the selection men no doubt wandering around the paddock. Foley is also a bit more consistent than Smith.

...just waiting for the Highlanders and my team will be up.

FazzDog

Frank Nicholson (4)
Team for Round 14:

J. Slipper (c), A. Ta'avao - B. Alexander
H. Elliott - G. Robinson
S. Luatua, H. Pyle - B. Thorn
TJ Ioane, L. Gill, G. Smith - W. van der Walt
A. Mathewson - W. Genia
A. Cruden - C. Lealiifano
J. de Villiers, R. Ebersohn - F. Saili
F. Halai, B. Foley, I. Folau - J. Tomane

I've taken a couple of gambles (Mathewson, de Villiers, Elliott) as I am attempting to make up some ground due to 4 poor rounds in a row! Hopefully those Highlander players are actually on the starting team!

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Team for Round 14:

J. Slipper (c), A. Ta'avao - B. Alexander
H. Elliott - G. Robinson
S. Luatua, H. Pyle - B. Thorn
TJ Ioane, L. Gill, G. Smith - W. van der Walt
A. Mathewson - W. Genia
A. Cruden - C. Lealiifano
J. de Villiers, R. Ebersohn - F. Saili
F. Halai, B. Foley, I. Folau - J. Tomane

I've taken a couple of gambles (Mathewson, de Villiers, Elliott) as I am attempting to make up some ground due to 4 poor rounds in a row! Hopefully those Highlander players are actually on the starting team!
TJ Ioane is on the bench. Just had to change my team because of it as well. Hope you still have your undo transfers up your sleeve!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I've always hated the Bulls as a team - all brute strength and brain dead kick-and-chase. So it was with some trepidation that I selected Steyne and Serfontain for my team this week, but there wasn't a lot of good choice available. So I gritted my teeth and gave it a go. Steyne missed four tackles and Serfontein six! Twenty negative points! Why am I so distraught?

I am losing my Cup game by seven miserable points, after my best Cup run ever.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Had Ben Afeaki, Kyle Godwin, and Rob Horne on my bench in place of Cowan, Lealiifano, and Serfontein respectively.

The latter 3 scored in single digits.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I've always hated the Bulls as a team - all brute strength and brain dead kick-and-chase. So it was with some trepidation that I selected Steyne and Serfontain for my team this week, but there wasn't a lot of good choice available. So I gritted my teeth and gave it a go. Steyne missed four tackles and Serfontein six! Twenty negative points! Why am I so distraught?

I am losing my Cup game by seven miserable points, after my best Cup run ever.

The Fox mods have taken pity on me and revised the figures on my opponent. I have just squeaked through - amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.