• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Fantasy Super rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
When Savea scored 52 on Friday I thought I had made a mistake. Thankfully Ben Smith scored 43 so it wasn't that bad.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Ben Smith looked quiet but still scored mid-40s. Normally that is great but it was Poki's night.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i was tearing my hair out that game as it was a toss up between poki and smith>
smith actually had a great game so im not surprised he scored well> it just didnt look a good game for points when i was watching>

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Poki on 89, of course I don't have him. Best team of the week has Poki has captain, great call that guy.

Funny how you can be happy with your team only to get mid to high 300s week after week.

Edit: already dropped JP Pieterson for Poki. Have buyer's remorse already - reckon I should've gotten Digby.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Finally cracked 400, thanks to my back 3 of Smith (C), Ioane and Piutau.
Unbelievable that Poki scored 89 in what was a one sided affair to the Cheetahs, but lucky i went for Smith instead because he seems to score well even with no tries.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, that's round 5 done and I barely scraped 300 (again). Wildcard I think this week, bugger the consequences later. But there have been some real difficulties for players using last year's data to predict performance this year:
  • Afeaki (only played two and a bit games last year) now averaging 39.7 points per game, while Alexander has gone from star last year to also-ran at 16.7ppg. Paddy Ryan is averaging 24 ppg and is yet to crack a start.
  • Strauss, a star last year at 38 ppg is averaging 23.3 ppg
  • The two top locks, Luatua and Bulbring, are newbies this year.
  • While Braid is right up there again, Labuschagne and Botha are newbies but in the top 3. Messam, Mr Reliable last year, is averaging 25 ppg and Spies 23 ppg.
  • Halfbacks are getting a terrible wrap from the scorers; only five of those are averaging 10 and over and one of those is the team kicker.
  • Of the fly-halves, Anscombe is best but playing fullback. Cruden is averaging 22 now he's not kicking. Goosen, my star last year at 38.5 ppg is averaging 15 and can't kick straight to save himself.
  • Centres are led by another who hasn't played a game there, JOC (James O'Connor) at 34.8. Carter (Tom) is averaging 11 ppg against last year's 28 odd.
  • In the outside backs Poki's back to his 2011 form, Piutau averages 45.3 ppg although a newbie, Savea at 33.3 ppg after a terrible first round and Hosea Gear and Leila Masaga well down on previous years. The biggest fall from grace is Taylor, 5.7 ppg so far after averaging around 30 last year.
Thanks for asking; yes Alexander, Messam, Goosen and Taylor have been selected by me from round one onwards.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am finding the centres and halfback the most frustrating. And I always have one nonperforming lock, no matter what I do!

The way they have set up the positional pools have really left managers scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as centres go. And because of terrible oversight on my part, I subbed J'OC out of my team after round 1 and have been stuck with Tim Bateman ever since. As I have had to constantly douse spot fires in other positions, I have not been in a position to get J'OC back.

Along with Piutau, at the moment I would rate Labuschagne and Botha as the best value.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dagg is another who is struggling this year.

Some of my classic mistakes this week have included having Afeaki and Luatua on the bench, and both made the team of the week this week.

Despite this, I still managed to pull off a reasonable 392, which is my best this year so far.

BTW, Johnny McNicholl, an unwanted winger from the 'Saders worth $70k, has played one game and his 29 points, whereas Dagg, worth $358k, has 30 points from two games. Yes, I do indeed have McNicholl on my bench and Dagg stinking up my team.

I have already brought Poki into my team for the poorly scoring JP Pieterson, so JP is my hot tip for a high scoring round this week. The best part of the trade is that I made about $50k from the trade, too.

I had intended on bringing in Ioane, but that's out now. $509k in the bank means I have some money to throw around.

BTW, I intend on holding onto my Blues players (Piutau, Luatua) at this stage, through the Blues' bye. Having watched Francis Saili play for a few weeks now, I definitely intend on buying him sometime soon after the Blues' bye.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Also intend on buying Labuschagne, who is cheap and scoring consitently, and has some interesting games coming up.

Halfback just seems a money sink position, to me it's better just to buy, say, Kingi who is half the price of the top scrummies and playing wing so gets more changes.

Ngatai or Aki could be a good bet this round, playing the Kings. Aki is available for selection, but Ngatai scored a couple last week.

If I can get in the trades I want, I will be really happy with my team, and will have lots of cash left over to buy some expensive reserves. The fact that I will be really happy will probably mean that I will struggle to break 300, despite having most of the top players.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The front row hasn't let me down yet, scoring at least 60 for me each week.
Hooker has been Stephen Moore with his usual 30 points please attitude, I'm going to drop Craig Burden from the bench soon.
In the locks, two of the three experiments worked, with Luatua and Bird scoring nicely. Joe Wheeler was a failure and he's out this round.
I didn't want to drop anyone from the backrow but really wanted Quirk. Pocock injury isn't all bad news.
Sarel Pretorius will be my 9 until someone starts scoring well, consistently.
Anscombe at 10 was the right choice. At this rate, I can't see any flyhalves within 50 points of him at the end of the season.
Centres are... meh. Bundee Aki was okay, but wasn't selected and probably won't be again given Ngatai's form. Saili is good and will stay. Hopefully Burleigh keeps it up.
Back three has changed every week. I am so glad Piatau was there in round 2, he is a legend.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have managed 354 this week. Best of the year so far. I have worked it out however. If I nominate them as capt they have the worst game they have had all year..... o_O

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Am currently sitting on top of the league, which is a real first for me in 4 or 5 years of playing. Although that will probably change when the scores are updated, I have lost around 20 points in the Monday review.

It's about luck as much as it is good judgement. I made two changes last week, and happened to bring in Botha in the backrow and Poki in the outside backs. I thought the Sharks would have a bigger week against the Kings, and for now will avoid the 'pick anyone playing the Kings' tactic because their defence has been top-notch in their two games to date.

Agree about halfback- you have so little to gain whoever you pick. I have Perenara who has been disappointing, but even scoring high single digits you aren't really losing much. Hell, Sarel had a great game and only scored about 20.

Luatua and Piutau are real stars. They will score big this season. If you don't have them now, wait a week for the bye then grab them.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The front row hasn't let me down yet, scoring at least 60 for me each week.
Hooker has been Stephen Moore with his usual 30 points please attitude, I'm going to drop Craig Burden from the bench soon.
In the locks, two of the three experiments worked, with Luatua and Bird scoring nicely. Joe Wheeler was a failure and he's out this round.
I didn't want to drop anyone from the backrow but really wanted Quirk. Pocock injury isn't all bad news.
Sarel Pretorius will be my 9 until someone starts scoring well, consistently.
Anscombe at 10 was the right choice. At this rate, I can't see any flyhalves within 50 points of him at the end of the season.
Centres are. meh. Bundee Aki was okay, but wasn't selected and probably won't be again given Ngatai's form. Saili is good and will stay. Hopefully Burleigh keeps it up.
Back three has changed every week. I am so glad Piatau was there in round 2, he is a legend.
It's pretty much O'Connor and Saili, with either Aki, or Ngatai if he proves more consistent through more games. Would favour Aki though because he was scoring on average around 20, and he hasen't scored any tries yet while Ngatai scored 2 tries on the weekend and scored like 39.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It's pretty much O'Connor and Saili, with either Aki or Ngatai if he proves more consistent through more games. Would favour Aki though because he was scoring on average around 20, and he hasen't scored any tries yet while Ngatai scored 2 tries on the weekend and scored like 29.

Any player scoring two tries and only 29 is probably a liability. The G&GR champion from a couple of years ago had a system where he downloaded player scores and deleted the points for tries to better evaluate player performances against each other. I don't have the computer skills to do it, wish I could, but when evaluating a player I'm thinking of buying I always reduce his scores by try points to better see where he sits on the order of merit. The theory behind it is that try scoring is usually an event that is largely down to chance. (Why, Tom Carter who everyone will tell you is absolutely useless, scored a stack of them in 2011. I do not subscribe to the TC theory but I do think who ends up going over the line is sometimes a lucky happenstance.)

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You've got me intrigued Hawko with how this G&GR was so meticulous in analysing every player's stats ;)
Though you are right, I chose Ben Smith over Kade Poki for the reason that he scored only 1 try against the Chiefs but was electric with linebreaks, tackle busts and tackles.
Wasn't the most beneficial choice but did ok all things considered

Status
Not open for further replies.