• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Drua v Rebels @ Sunshine Coast Stadium 7.45pm AEDT, Friday 04/03

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The captain always acts as a lightning rod for supporter emotion, both positive and negative. He's doing his leadership role and doing it well.
Wells comes across as honest and thoughtful. Great attributes for a skipper.
I hope he gets to reflect on how they won a few games this season.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mate judging by your comments about Wells and the Rebels in general, you sound like the worst sort of supporter.

I understand that emotional comments are part of the game, but your whole dialogue tonight has been awful.
I am with Rebelman, I can't defend this poor organization at all. I have missed less then 10 home games since the Rebels started, let alone been to away games against every other Australian side. Reds and Tahs multiple times. Even flown up and down to Sydney same day for those Sunday afternoon fixtures.

I don't think any Rebels fan was happy with the Kevin Foote promotion, I don't think any of us were happy with the loss of our best player and lack of decent signings. The last two years we suffered with no home games and now we are suffering by a organization that failed to make any forward steps for over 2 years on the field.

Yes, all the PR looks good regarding new sponsorships etc, but what about what the fans want? a win?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think any Rebels fan was happy with the Kevin Foote promotion, I don't think any of us were happy with the loss of our best player and lack of decent signings. The last two years we suffered with no home games and now we are suffering by a organization that failed to make any forward steps for over 2 years on the field.
Yes but did Michael Wells cause these problems?

Happy to concede that being a Rebels supporter is clearly a hard gig.

But I'm not sure what more you want from Wells? He's obligated to talk to the media after the games. Why should he be targeted as part of the problem when it's clearly happening on an organisational level?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^I didn't say anything about Wells, at least his trying. His leadership needs work, think for the time being the Rebels need to take the 3 points for every kickable penalty if trailing by less then 15 points. Cause we ain't scoring trys so there is no way we are going to win a game otherwise.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
^^^I didn't say anything about Wells, at least his trying. His leadership needs work, think for the time being the Rebels need to take the 3 points for every kickable penalty if trailing by less then 15 points. Cause we ain't scoring trys so there is no way we are going to win a game otherwise.
I think this debate started with someone having a go at Wells as a player, leader as well as his honesty in the press conferences. A few took exception to that, which I do too as he is the least of the worries down there.

PhilClinton is referring to Wells because of this. And his statements are correct. Wells isn't the problem in Melbourne. In fact if they had a few more guus like him at the moment I suspect they'd be going better. He is no Kieran Read but he is a fine player and a respected leader.

If I were a dyed in the wool Rebels supporter I'd be more worried why Foote and Stiles are their coaches, why the recruitment hasn't been up to scratch and what is going on with their S & C to cause soo many injuries this early in the season.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think this debate started with someone having a go at Wells as a player, leader as well as his honesty in the press conferences. A few took exception to that, which I do too as he is the least of the worries down there.

PhilClinton is referring to Wells because of this. And his statements are correct. Wells isn't the problem in Melbourne. In fact if they had a few more guus like him at the moment I suspect they'd be going better. He is no Kieran Read but he is a fine player and a respected leader.

If I were a dyed in the wool Rebels supporter I'd be more worried why Foote and Stiles are their coaches, why the recruitment hasn't been up to scratch and what is going on with their S & C to cause soo many injuries this early in the season.
Purce I agree with your comment. The other thing re: S&C this year is not isolated. We seem to have had a long injury list come round 1 for 3 or 4 years now. Although, not as long as this year.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
Purce I agree with your comment. The other thing re: S&C this year is not isolated. We seem to have had a long injury list come round 1 for 3 or 4 years now. Although, not as long as this year.
Yeah I have noticed that. It's very strange. Has it been the same S & C the whole time?

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
I think Rebels should had picked their full strenght side in the trial against Drua in preseason. They picked their first team in the first half and then Rebels A played the second half and lost the trial.

BIG mistake. Confidence is something that you build step by step. Maybe that little win in preseason proved to Fijians that they can beat Rebels and made the team (Rebels) doubt about their abilities.

Now you have a team without confidence that has to face the Kiwis soon.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Wonder when the bankers of the Rebels are going to say enough is enough? Vast amounts of $$$$ spent to build (prop up) the organization and no real return. It not like there is a local competition going from strength to strength off the back of them. Seems to be a place where over promoted future stars go to get publicity or older "not quite there" fellas try to make a mark.
Not sure on what the solution is but having a look at how the Force run their organization might be worthwhile.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure on what the solution is but having a look at how the Force run their organization might be worthwhile.
You mean the franchise with blokes who've stuffed up that many times before, when they decide to have a glass of wine on a plane, they get suspended from playing?

Yes, look to them for guidance.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wonder when the bankers of the Rebels are going to say enough is enough? Vast amounts of $$$$ spent to build (prop up) the organization and no real return. It not like there is a local competition going from strength to strength off the back of them. Seems to be a place where over promoted future stars go to get publicity or older "not quite there" fellas try to make a mark.
actually the local comp is going well and the Rebels pathways are producing talent.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Its been discussed over on the rebels forums over the years, the rebels get propped up by the state govt. in a handshake deal with RA for a wallaby test match every year & the 3rd lions test when they come out. Also Melbourne businessmen Paul Docherty is chairman of the board, sponsor & absolute rugby tragic. He's not quite at twiggy level of walking in & owning the club but as long as his is around the club is in safe hands (off field wise)

In terms of the dig at the local game down here I reintegrate what swingpass says & suggest you go follow Moorabbin Rams & Melbourne Quins on instagram & it wont take long for you to realise how many internationals this local comp is producing not to mention how many players in professional club competitions around the world.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Rebels should had picked their full strenght side in the trial against Drua in preseason. They picked their first team in the first half and then Rebels A played the second half and lost the trial.

BIG mistake. Confidence is something that you build step by step. Maybe that little win in preseason proved to Fijians that they can beat Rebels and made the team (Rebels) doubt about their abilities.

Now you have a team without confidence that has to face the Kiwis soon.
Confidence or no confidence we will lose any confidence in the first week against NZ

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Its been discussed over on the rebels forums over the years, the rebels get propped up by the state govt. in a handshake deal with RA for a wallaby test match every year & the 3rd lions test when they come out. Also Melbourne businessmen Paul Docherty is chairman of the board, sponsor & absolute rugby tragic. He's not quite at twiggy level of walking in & owning the club but as long as his is around the club is in safe hands (off field wise)

In terms of the dig at the local game down here I reintegrate what swingpass says & suggest you go follow Moorabbin Rams & Melbourne Quins on instagram & it wont take long for you to realise how many internationals this local comp is producing not to mention how many players in professional club competitions around the world.
That’s the one issue though with the demise of the NRC, if you don’t automatically get a contract out of the pathways you look to leave to a stronger comp. It puts a drain on numbers and talent

We need the rising back so the local lads have something to aspire to

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That’s the one issue though with the demise of the NRC, if you don’t automatically get a contract out of the pathways you look to leave to a stronger comp. It puts a drain on numbers and talent

We need the rising back so the local lads have something to aspire to

Where does the money to run the NRC come from? its what sent RA broke in the 1st place.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where does the money to run the NRC come from? its what sent RA broke in the 1st place.
Look I understand that is a huge issue, it’s just you can see the toll on club rugby losing the Rising has had on the Dewar Shield. Maybe it’s something they look at bringing back if they finalise this PE deal