• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Drua v Rebels @ Sunshine Coast Stadium 7.45pm AEDT, Friday 04/03

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Look I understand that is a huge issue, it’s just you can see the toll on club rugby losing the Rising has had on the Dewar Shield. Maybe it’s something they look at bringing back if they finalise this PE deal

PE deal would certainly go along way to helping & that would be fantastic for development.

I will play devils advocate though, even if there was a rising the last 2 years

Charlie Abel would still be at the giltinis
Theo McFarland would still be at saracens
Pete Samu would still be at the brumbies
Rob Valetini would still be at the brumbies
Hunter Pisami would still be at the reds
Sione Tuipulotu would still be playing for scotland
& with the amount of injuries we have they would still loose to a shute shield side

Of those 6 guys 5 are internationals, 2 in our current squad (& from a small club not in a rugby area) are wallabies & 2 last year came within a bees d*ck of playing for australia.

Look at that list! we are punching above our weight as a state but interms on the rebels winning a comp we are miles off with vic representation being one of the last things to worry about.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
PE deal would certainly go along way to helping & that would be fantastic for development.

I will play devils advocate though, even if there was a rising the last 2 years

Charlie Abel would still be at the giltinis
Theo McFarland would still be at saracens
Pete Samu would still be at the brumbies
Rob Valetini would still be at the brumbies
Hunter Pisami would still be at the reds
Sione Tuipulotu would still be playing for scotland
& with the amount of injuries we have they would still loose to a shute shield side

Of those 6 guys 5 are internationals, 2 in our current squad (& from a small club not in a rugby area) are wallabies & 2 last year came within a bees d*ck of playing for australia.

Look at that list! we are punching above our weight as a state but interms on the rebels winning a comp we are miles off with vic representation being one of the last things to worry about.
Mate we haven’t always agreed but as a kid who once played Rugby in Vic I am that bloody proud of every bloke that comes out of Melbourne and plays pro rugby. Even if it’s not at the Rebels/Wallabies

It’s more I heard from mates that most of the rising squad moved to Queensland or NSW to play in the club comps there when the NRC was wound up. As they felt that would give them a better chance of moving to the next level.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Confidence or no confidence we will lose any confidence in the first week against NZ
To be fair, all the aussies sides are gonna struggle against them. Your competition is against Aussie teams and you lost vs a new team

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think about the Melbourne Storm for a minute .

Rugby Australia doesn’t need the Melbourne comp or pathways to be producing Wallabies, it needs the Rebels to be a place where you can go to be developed into a professional rugby player. It’s great that Melbourne is producing players and the stronger the local comp becomes the greater the chance of this self perpetuating. However, in the short term if it gives players a chance to become Super Rugby players and as a result potential Wallabies then job done.

Back to the Storm, players go there because of the opportunity to be coached and developed by probably the best in the business. It should be the model by which all non traditional sporting franchises work, provide something that players want to be a part of.

The easy bit is saying it , the doing bit gets a lot harder, but it has to start with a coach not another marquee signing .

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Rugby Australia doesn’t need the Melbourne comp or pathways to be producing Wallabies, it needs the Rebels to be a place where you can go to be developed into a professional rugby player. It’s great that Melbourne is producing players and the stronger the local comp becomes the greater the chance of this self perpetuating. However, in the short term if it gives players a chance to become Super Rugby players and as a result potential Wallabies then job done.

Back to the Storm, players go there because of the opportunity to be coached and developed by probably the best in the business. It should be the model by which all non traditional sporting franchises work, provide something that players want to be a part of.

The easy bit is saying it , the doing bit gets a lot harder, but it has to start with a coach not another marquee signing .
Not really, the Swans do it better than the Storm. They may not have won as many comps but they are bringing locals through and have always been a competitive side

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And that would no longer be the case. Just because things failed in the past doesn’t mean they can’t work now
I don't think it's right to suggest the NRC failed. More like the COVID pandemic or other considerations (Sydney centric bias against it?) caused it to be put aside. The ARC failed, but I understand the NRC was not such a drain on RA nor the teams involved.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Its been discussed over on the rebels forums over the years, the rebels get propped up by the state govt. in a handshake deal with RA for a wallaby test match every year & the 3rd lions test when they come out. Also Melbourne businessmen Paul Docherty is chairman of the board, sponsor & absolute rugby tragic. He's not quite at twiggy level of walking in & owning the club but as long as his is around the club is in safe hands (off field wise)

In terms of the dig at the local game down here I reintegrate what swingpass says & suggest you go follow Moorabbin Rams & Melbourne Quins on instagram & it wont take long for you to realise how many internationals this local comp is producing not to mention how many players in professional club competitions around the world.
So why are so many of the non match 23 rebels flying back to Brisbane and Sydney each week to playin clubland? Why are the recruiters in Melbourne shopping in every other club competition so heavily?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So why are so many of the non match 23 rebels flying back to Brisbane and Sydney each week to playin clubland? Why are the recruiters in Melbourne shopping in every other club competition so heavily?
How many of the non match 23 are flying back to Sydney and Brisbane each week?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The last two years Vic rugby hasn't really gone ahead, remember we were in lockdowns for both winters when the rugby season would go ahead. Some coached have preferred players play in Brisbane or Sydney. Some have said no you can play in Melbourne, from talking with players they actually find the risk of injury higher playing in Melbourne (Maybe they should stay and toughen up a bit)

But also a few of the club grounds here are fairly poor surfaces, no investment from local councils is spent on rugby grounds, it's hard enough to get a council to give up the space as there is a massive shortage of AFL grounds for local comp in some areas.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Not really, the Swans do it better than the Storm. They may not have won as many comps but they are bringing locals through and have always been a competitive side
I'd be surprised if Sydney has smaller numbers playing Aussie Rules than Melbourne has playing league. Even Brisbane has done pretty well in the AFL stakes and local comp and juniors appear strong, again would guess higher numbers than Melbourne has playing league.

What the Storm do incredibly well is develop players into better players and gives them exposure to a top tier coaching set up regardless of where the players come from. At a minimum this is what the Rebels should be trying to achieve, they definitely aren't at the moment.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd be surprised if Sydney has smaller numbers playing Aussie Rules than Melbourne has playing league. Even Brisbane has done pretty well in the AFL stakes and local comp and juniors appear strong, again would guess higher numbers than Melbourne has playing league.

What the Storm do incredibly well is develop players into better players and gives them exposure to a top tier coaching set up regardless of where the players come from. At a minimum this is what the Rebels should be trying to achieve, they definitely aren't at the moment.
No doubt the Storm are good, but Sydney is sustainable they are producing their own elite talent from Sydney then developing them at a senior level. Yes I know it was only since GWS and Gold Coast came in that the AFL really looked to push participation growth up there but what Sydney is doing is working

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Melbourne Storm have no edict to get more kids playing league. I would actually argue they are a drain on resources because of this. RugbyVIC and the Rebels do.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Melbourne Storm have no edict to get more kids playing league. I would actually argue they are a drain on resources because of this. RugbyVIC and the Rebels do.
The Swans have no edict to grow the game either, yet they do now 25% of their contracted players are locals. For mine the Swans have the perfect balance between growing the game in Sydney and being successful on the park