• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Drua v Rebels @ Sunshine Coast Stadium 7.45pm AEDT, Friday 04/03

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Melbourne Storm have no edict to get more kids playing league. I would actually argue they are a drain on resources because of this. RugbyVIC and the Rebels do.
Agree on that , the Melbourne Storm are doing very little to grow league in Melbourne. What I’m saying is regardless of juniors and pathways all the Rebels need to be in the short term is be a place where someone can go to be a Super Rugby player and hopefully develop.

I’m not asking for a future Wallaby to be developed from nappies by Melbourne, just that someone wants to GO to Melbourne for the chance of playing Super Rugby and then want to stay there.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not really, the Swans do it better than the Storm. They may not have won as many comps but they are bringing locals through and have always been a competitive side
Rebel man you have to remember that the Swans have had a 16 year head start on the Storm. (ie since moving to Sydney) This helps inspire the next generation and set up junior pathways.

Although, I do agree that has been one disappointing part re: the Storm the small number of Victorian juniors to play for Storm. I think that totals 4 at the moment (Fonua, Kennar, Tonumaipea and Ieremia). It should increase to 5 in the next year or so with signing of Sua Fa'alogo.

This is one area where Rebels have done better than the Storm. At least 8 players have come through junior ranks and Rebels pathways to Super Rugby (Leota, Fa'amausili, Hosea, Uelese, Tuipulotu, Sa'aga, Aedo Kailea and Canham). Plus there are 3 former Victorian juniors who returned after playing Super Rugby elsewhere (Johannson, Faulkner and Siliva). With Tonumaipea there is another Victorian, although he came up through VRL/ NRL Victoria.

Apologies if I missed anyone.

The reasons for the Rebels performing better in this regard could be a combination of the VRU and private school boy competition being more established and having greater history than the VRL / NRL Victoria, the Rebels may have been more proactive in local junior development and it may be easier as a Victorian junior to break in to a team that is of a lower standard (ie Storm is consistently in the top 4).

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebel man you have to remember that the Swans have had a 16 year head start on the Storm. (ie since moving to Sydney) This helps inspire the next generation and set up junior pathways.

Although, I do agree that has been one disappointing part re: the Storm the small number of Victorian juniors to play for Storm. I think that totals 4 at the moment (Fonua, Kennar, Tonumaipea and Ieremia). It should increase to 5 in the next year or so with signing of Sua Fa'alogo.

This is one area where Rebels have done better than the Storm. At least 8 players have come through junior ranks and Rebels pathways to Super Rugby (Leota, Fa'amausili, Hosea, Uelese, Tuipulotu, Sa'aga, Aedo Kailea and Canham). Plus there are 3 former Victorian juniors who returned after playing Super Rugby elsewhere (Johannson, Faulkner and Siliva). With Tonumaipea there is another Victorian, although he came up through VRL/ NRL Victoria.

Apologies if I missed anyone.

The reasons for the Rebels performing better in this regard could be a combination of the VRU and private school boy competition being more established and having greater history than the VRL / NRL Victoria, the Rebels may have been more proactive in local junior development and it may be easier as a Victorian junior to break in to a team that is of a lower standard (ie Storm is consistently in the top 4).
It wasn’t until the last 10 years with the birth of GWS and the invention of the Swans and Giants academy got going. Before then their local talent was very low

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
My point about the Storm wasn’t directed at what they do with their pathways or junior development, but what they do with players who arrive there to play. Regardless of where they are from they generally end up a better player for being part of the Storm setup. This what the Rebels need to emulate and it starts with the coaches.

The VRU and Rebels are doing fine with their pathways and Academy , it’s the Super Rugby team that needs the work in the short term.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
My point about the Storm wasn’t directed at what they do with their pathways or junior development, but what they do with players who arrive there to play. Regardless of where they are from they generally end up a better player for being part of the Storm setup. This what the Rebels need to emulate and it starts with the coaches.

The VRU and Rebels are doing fine with their pathways and Academy , it’s the Super Rugby team that needs the work in the short term.
Look I don’t disagree, it is a similar trait to the Swans. Just look at Josh Kennedy. We can all agree the Rebels suck haha