• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Drown out the haka: Bledisloe II | Tri Nations finale

What should the AUS crowd sing at the game on Saturday, or indeed in the future?

• Waltzing Matilda

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Aussie Version of OleOleOle

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Come on you gold

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of these three, but something else

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • We shouldn't sing at all, be it before after or during the haka

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
why don't we just boo really loudly during the haka, like the kiwi crowd do during our national anthem. Oh wait, that would be lowering ourselves to their level, and that's a pretty crap level.

Good god no, don't do that! NZ, on the whole, really are a pretty crap bunch of disrepectful people, unlike you Aussies eh Nugget.

You guys should try and get something going though, at the very least you'll probably get some fools in the media to wank on somewhere about disrepect etc etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would prefer someone provide kazoos for the crowd

[video=youtube;HcnMS5DMnL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcnMS5DMnL8[/video]

Just don't amplify the haka and have the crowd sing along with their new kazoos

That should make the whole thing a nice farce

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
The other thing the ARU should organise is a bloke with 4 huge balls to lead our anthem. And get some 17 year old chick to sing theirs with harmonies and other such crap like on those shit singing shows my missus watches whilst I deepen my knowledge on important issues on this bored in my man cave.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
The other thing the ARU should organise is a bloke with 4 huge balls to lead our anthem. And get some 17 year old chick to sing theirs with harmonies and other such crap like on those shit singing shows my missus watches whilst I deepen my knowledge on important issues on this bored in my man cave.

I really hate the way our anthem is sung. John Williamson like him or not is a great guy to lead the anthem.

He knows that he is singing along with a whole crowd and the importance to lead everyone together in it.

I hate it when they end up getting someone who came 4th in Australian Idol to sing it. They turn it into a display of vocal acrobatics and it sounds terrible when everyone isn't doing it together.

I would like to hear it all sung together much like 'God Save The Queen' or 'Irelands Call'

A

Army_Gav

Hugh Jackman? 01m 39s

[video=youtube;ayX9jY0l18Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayX9jY0l18Q[/video]

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Good god no, don't do that! NZ, on the whole, really are a pretty crap bunch of disrepectful people, unlike you Aussies eh Nugget..

I dunno, I've wandered onto Silverfern a few times and was dismayed by the intensity of the anti-Australian feeling there. I guess TSF is quite extreme though.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Can anyone remember who sang it for the semi vs the blackness in 03? It was obvious from watching the boys sing it that night that something special was going to occur. I got a bet on against an Irish pal after I saw the determinated look on their faces.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Hugh Jackman?

James Blundell did it a few years ago and it was straight up and down, without bullshit. He'd be cheaper than Jackman. He might do it for a steak at the Breaky Creek and a two tickets to the game for him and his 16 year old squeeze.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Julie Anthony was the one and only person that has ever made our Aussie anthem actually sound inspiring to me. I think the worst singers were the guy that didnt know the lyrics & the girl that sung at the Geelong cup.

Needless to say I'm conforted by the fact that no matter how bad our anthem is sung it cant compare to the pain of hearing the South African anthem followed by the NZ one which both seem to go on for an eternity. The youtube video below although not an example of either anthem pretty much sums up how they sound to me & the sound of the people listening to it at the end sums up how I feel when its finally over & the game actually starts, well after the haka (which I like).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7xixfoG8Ag

Actually instead of drowning the haka maybe we should just get someone who sings like in the youtube video sing the NZ anthem, Wallabies can put some ear muffs on, the anthem will put the AB's into sleepy land, inefficient dreary haka will result. Yep, I'm clutching at straws.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I dunno, I've wandered onto Silverfern a few times and was dismayed by the intensity of the anti-Australian feeling there. I guess TSF is quite extreme though.

Hell wander in any rugby forum and see the Anti -evrything be it Australian, NZ,Saffas or Irish. I go into Planet Rugby a bit anti NZ-Saffa and Irish spite is considerable. Still I am learnt that a lot of these posters (perhaps like Nugget?) go into these places to vent against other countries because it allows them to be brave-even if only in a virtual world lol

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
What to do in response to the Haka? We draw on our own cultural heritage. While the all blacks are dong the haka. The aus crowd sings:

I love to have a beer with [Referee, e.g Wayne Barnes]
I love to have a beer with Wayne.
We drink in moderation
And we never ever ever get rollin' drunk
We drink at the [venue, e.g Suncorp Stadium]
Where the atmosphere is great
I love to have a beer with Wayne
'Cause Wayne's our mate, yeah

To top it off, the ARU hands hold gold akubra’s to the crowd on the way in for a gold out of the stadium. Song gets tailored for each game, and the stadium puts the refs on the big screen.

I have another more out there idea also drawing on our cultural heritage which I will save for a more special occasion.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Hell wander in any rugby forum and see the Anti -evrything be it Australian, NZ,Saffas or Irish. I go into Planet Rugby a bit anti NZ-Saffa and Irish spite is considerable. Still I am learnt that a lot of these posters (perhaps like Nugget?) go into these places to vent against other countries because it allows them to be brave-even if only in a virtual world lol

Planet Rugby is a special case. It isn't a rugby forum, more a social club for trolls.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Stick around and post Groucho, its pretty good. But every site has its extreme elements but Barbarian, cyclo, Nick and fern favorite Newter :) hold their own.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Stick around and post Groucho, its pretty good. But every site has its extreme elements but Barbarian, cyclo, Nick and fern favorite Newter :) hold their own.

Yeah, but I had hair when I started there...now, not so much! Nah, it's OK, I just learnt to ignore the ones who hate all things Australian on principle. Plenty of good guys over there.

B

BRIX

Problem is that Australians (in general) are too politically correct. And concerned with image and how everyone else would feel. Given our somewhat blighted yet young history, this is all more than understandable to a certain degree - but since when has it been so Australian to cop a challenge on the chin when it's been thrown down? Some of us were brought on boats and some on planes but we're all born into the toil for fuck sake, we're a hard mob that's not afraid to give it our all because we grew up with an underdog tag.

I want to see the Wallabies stand on their own 20 meter line for the start of the Haka and make it up to the 40 meter line by the end of it. I also would like to see the PA system's microphones being swapped from in front of the Kiwis to the rowdiest terraces from where the trench diggers could set the example for all the chooks that are afraid of a few Maoris that are sat around them.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I'm on the fence as well. I really do enjoy the Haka and think it is a unique tradition that adds spice and entertainment to proceedings.

However, I don't think that there should be a rule that says the opposition have to stand there and take it. I'd be quite happy for the Wobs to huddle up and discuss where they will be drinking after the game while the Kiwi's have a moment of collective aggression.

As for singing/chanting, etc, let's be honest; Oz crowds are no good at it and we would only embarass ourselves. In the manner of Oz crowds, during the Haka the crowd should be either getting a tray of beers or placing wagers on SportsBet.

Actually the Wallabies don't have to stand there, they are allowed to do whatever they like as long as noone from either side crosses the 10m line, I really don't know where anyone got other idea from, unless they believe the things Marto and Kearns say when thay trying to make a bit of news.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I actually wonder if people realise that the Haka has been performed at tests longer than Anthems? The first time an Anthem was done at a test was by the Welsh in 1905 in response to the All Blacks doing Haka.

Status
Not open for further replies.