• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Dan Carter out of cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dreaming

Slade is not even the second best 5/8 in NZ - or if he is then they're in trouble: i can only assume he was picked for the future. DC is the best I have ever seen: he is a more complete footballer than Ella was. The injury was sustained in kicking practice: rupture abductor longus(?) tendon - n'er a prior niggle and no other degenerative damage in the region. he did rupture his achilles in France so he may have a connective tissue issue.
i think it needs to be acknowledged that the rugby world cup is the only contact sport, let alone collision sport, in which grown men compete in a finite period for a single crown. it wasnt/isnt designed to be played this way.
Hard to see NZ winning it without DC - but our loss to Ireland may now be their saviour: without DC in a final against Oz they would have choked (and no one can provem me wrong:cool:) in a semi - far less likely:'(

We don't always need the All Blacks to choke. The inconsistent Wallabies are due a return to form. We can beat them fair and square, and might have even with Carter there.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
All these big injuries and it looking likely that AUS, SA and NZ will be on the same side of the draw is giving me nightmares about Bill going north again..

I agree, the cup must stay south. The last thing we need is a bunch of NHs telling us how they know how to play real rugby 'when it counts', and screw the other 3 years and 10 months.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Gutted for Dan, saw him twice at lang park this year, he is a master. It is sad the game will not him for the rest of this cup. Hope you recover quickly Dan.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
It's mega shit but it is what it is. Boys looked a little rudderless at times today but Hore summed it up today. It's up to 14 other guys to look after whoever plays 10.

For us to win, Nonu is going to have to step up another gear, if that's possible.

And Weepu has to kick.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's mega shit but it is what it is. Boys looked a little rudderless at times today but Hore summed it up today. It's up to 14 other guys to look after whoever plays 10.

For us to win, Nonu is going to have to step up another gear, if that's possible.

And Weepu has to kick.

I know K1W1s dont like to hear this, but: Dan Carter has been the difference between the ABs and the rest. There is no one who can control a game as well as he can.
Nonu cant step up any further and while he and Smith are the best in their positions in the world they will not be able to play to their potential.
Its more open now than it was on day 1.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Read a post on TSF that without Carter, there is not a single member of the AB starting back line that has experienced the pressure of the knock-out stages of a Rugby World Cup. NZ teams have a history of not performing up to their abilities in such moments and one wonders how they will perform with Carter's guidance when the pressure comes on.

It's a question for every team. How will they perform with a deficit, time running down on the clock and facing elimination? Some teams know because they have players in leadership that have lived through it, but NZ has more to contend with than just finding a replacement for the best 10 in the game. Without Carter, NZ will have to simplify their game-plan.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
He will only be fast tracked in say the next year or so if there are injuries, because with Slade and Cruden the ABs have two very young players. There's a couple of other young players in Anscombe and Sopoanga floating around as well.
You forgot Tom Taylor (son of Warwick) - I rate him as the best 10 prospect of the lot of them

J

Jay

Read a post on TSF that without Carter, there is not a single member of the AB starting back line that has experienced the pressure of the knock-out stages of a Rugby World Cup. NZ teams have a history of not performing up to their abilities in such moments and one wonders how they will perform with Carter's guidance when the pressure comes on.

It's a question for every team. How will they perform with a deficit, time running down on the clock and facing elimination? Some teams know because they have players in leadership that have lived through it, but NZ has more to contend with than just finding a replacement for the best 10 in the game. Without Carter, NZ will have to simplify their game-plan.

I hadn't thought of that - it's a fairly experienced backline, but Weepu & Nonu didn't go to the 07 WC and Smith was not selected for the 1/4 final as he was recovering from injury.

Having looked at the Wallabies lineup in Marseilles, only Barnes & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were involved and neither is guaranteed a start for the Wallabies, so both teams may well be in the same boat there, should they face each other in the semi.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Having looked at the Wallabies lineup in Marseilles, only Barnes & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were involved and neither is guaranteed a start for the Wallabies, so both teams may well be in the same boat there, should they face each other in the semi.

At this stage I'd say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is pretty much guaranteed.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I think the AB backline will pretty much operate the same (I even rate Slade as slightly more dangerous with ball in hand; great acceleration, great draw and pass), but they'll lose a lot from their kicking game, and potentially a lot from their composure under the pump. There's a little bit of me trying to say that Slade has been winning big Ranfurly Shield games for Canterbury since he was 19/20, but then a much bigger bit is accurately noting that Ranfurly Shield is like subbies colts compared to a WC knock-out.

I just hope Dagg pulls up alright after the weekend; we're going to be needing a couple of free linebreaks.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Geez us Aussies are a top bunch, everyone here is genuinely saddened to see the loss of Carter. Wonder what the reaction would be in NZ be if our number 10 was suddenly out? lol

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Geez us Aussies are a top bunch, everyone here is genuinely saddened to see the loss of Carter. Wonder what the reaction would be in NZ be if our number 10 was suddenly out? lol

Probably very similar.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'm sure someone would say that Cooper had only been injured because he was arrogant. It would probably be an Australian saying it though.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
All depends on the player. If you guys lost Genia I'd be pretty gutted as I love watching the guy play. He's a real master and I really wish he played for NZ. However, I wouldn't give two sh1ts if Cooper was injured out of the tournament. Just don't like the guy.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think with Quade the Kiwis will reap what they sow.

They can't stand being disrespected. Quade is both misjudged in this and underestimated. The guy has a strong heart and a good mind. The home of his people have turned their back on him for having the temerity to challenge an icon, the treachery to play for a rival, and the fortitude to continue in the face of this hostility while mustering a smile. The self belief of the man!

All this will do is forge him to greater heights, to drive longer and play harder, to burn to prove himself. He's come a long way in the last 2 years. Kiwis think he'll implode. I think he'll get better. A lot better. But right now I'll happily settle for a few more percentage plays and a few less pushed plays when you are playing some of the best in the world.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I think with Quade the Kiwis will reap what they sow.

They can't stand being disrespected. Quade is both misjudged in this and underestimated. The guy has a strong heart and a good mind. The home of his people have turned their back on him for having the temerity to challenge an icon, the treachery to play for a rival, and the fortitude to continue in the face of this hostility while mustering a smile. The self belief of the man!

All this will do is forge him to greater heights, to drive longer and play harder, to burn to prove himself. He's come a long way in the last 2 years. Kiwis think he'll implode. I think he'll get better. A lot better. But right now I'll happily settle for a few more percentage plays and a few less pushed plays when you are playing some of the best in the world.

Nah...its because he's a knob.

Adam Thomson and Jimmy Cowan are probably knobs too.

Knobatude is a universal trait cutting across cultural barriers.

Reactions: BPC
Status
Not open for further replies.