• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Dan Carter out of cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Nah...its because he's a knob.

Adam Thomson and Jimmy Cowan are probably knobs too.

Knobatude is a universal trait cutting across cultural barriers.

The common view of people who actually know Cooper, or have come across him in rugby, is that he's very far from a knob: rather, that he's a quiet and genuinely humble kind of guy.

What leads you to think he's a knob, FrankLind? Is it the way he 'comes across' on camera at games? Or is it his 'feud' with McCaw?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The common view of people who actually know Cooper, or have come across him in rugby, is that he's very far from a knob: rather, that he's a quiet and genuinely humble kind of guy.

Have you met the guy before, that is certainly not the description I would give him.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes, but I have met the guy numerous times. Ran into him at Churchie whilst spectating a few times and my son was in the same school house as him for 2 years resulting in hearing many opinions of him and talking to the guy first-hand long before he became the player he is now.

What does this have to do with the thread?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Did this thread really need to go down this direction?
Was inevitable MR. If any two or more of Dan, Richie, Carlos, the Duck, nobs, dickheads, dirty play, cheating, invisible cloaks, chips on shoulders, or cocky Aussies get mentioned, it's like Quade bingo, on pretty much any rugby comments forum between Darwin and Invercargill.

For myself never met Cooper but liked what I have seen off pitch in the last year or so, big contrast to his first year at this level.

No Kiwi is going to love him tho, he's like the malfoy to their potter in their minds.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, but I have met the guy numerous times. Ran into him at Churchie whilst spectating a few times and my son was in the same school house as him for 2 years resulting in hearing many opinions of him and talking to the guy first-hand long before he became the player he is now.

What does this have to do with the thread?

You seemed to think it did since you asked Groucho if he had met him.

I've only done so once after the Reds v Tahs at Suncorp. He came across as quite genuine and self deprecating.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Can I raise a salacious rumor - with the disclaimer that I have nothing but a (well-connected) Kiwi expat's tenuous link to a certain Hurricanes administrative person - that McCaw will also soon be ruled out. Apparently the NZ S15 medic community all know each other and the word is ABs are waiting to make the announcement shortly - and that McCaw's injury is worse than they've let on thus far. Happy to cop it when he trudges out against Argentina. How's that for hedging.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I read that he is booked for surgery in relation to a pin he had inserted in his foot for a stress fracture during the s 15 season...hell of a stress fracture that needs a pin!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Was inevitable MR. If any two or more of Dan, Richie, Carlos, the Duck, nobs, dickheads, dirty play, cheating, invisible cloaks, chips on shoulders, or cocky Aussies get mentioned, it's like Quade bingo, on pretty much any rugby comments forum between Darwin and Invercargill.

For myself never met Cooper but liked what I have seen off pitch in the last year or so, big contrast to his first year at this level.

No Kiwi is going to love him tho, he's like the malfoy to their potter in their minds.

the best thing about QC (Quade Cooper) is his chick - although she needs a nose job

R

ripper868

Have you met the guy before, that is certainly not the description I would give him.

So you're basing this opinion formed by your kid while at high school 5 years ago - bravo. If people were to judge everyone based on how they were at high school we'd all just be testosterone charged little shits with no regard for authority.

I have met Cooper a number of times and found him to be nothing but humble and genuine, especially in the last couple of years. It's called growing up and Cooper is doing just that.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Can I raise a salacious rumor - with the disclaimer that I have nothing but a (well-connected) Kiwi expat's tenuous link to a certain Hurricanes administrative person - that McCaw will also soon be ruled out. Apparently the NZ S15 medic community all know each other and the word is ABs are waiting to make the announcement shortly - and that McCaw's injury is worse than they've let on thus far. Happy to cop it when he trudges out against Argentina. How's that for hedging.

Heard this rumour as well, but it doesn't make sense to delay these things as you need to wait 48 hours before a replacement can start training with the squad. So if he is out, then best to get his replacement into the squad ASAP.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Heard this rumour as well, but it doesn't make sense to delay these things as you need to wait 48 hours before a replacement can start training with the squad. So if he is out, then best to get his replacement into the squad ASAP.

Agree, I cant think it is more than a rumour. No doubt he is booked in for some post RWC running repairs and this is where the rumour has begun.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Agree, I cant think it is more than a rumour. No doubt he is booked in for some post RWC running repairs and this is where the rumour has begun.

Yes, dare I say it, I think the loss of RMC wouldn't be as huge as many would think. Kaino, on the other hand....

T

tranquility

Let talks business shall we.

I just dont think the All Blacks can win the cup without Carter. My opinion, and I am sure many disagree. The reason for voicing this, is that the All Blacks are still the short priced favourites and the next group of contenders all come in at $8. That means there is alot of money ready to be won by those who have the marbles to have a dig.

As a very very rough diamond, the Argies are paying $12 to beat them in the quarters. Worth a tena' I reckon.

P

pete88

I'd disagree MR, I rate McCaw above Carter for what it's worth, he's incredibly important to the All Blacks being psychologically able to keep it together. And McCaw's importance without Carter is multiplied by about a million. The ABs definitely have quality backrowers itching for a start, but no captain to replace Sir Richie. It concerns me, I really hope if it's an England vs New Zealand final, which is likeliest, that the ABs don't blow it. And without McCaw there they probably will.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If this is true, then that would be like the second Christchurch earthquake, with DC withdrawal being the first.

While there are plenty of capacity in the squad phyically to cover Sir Richie absence, it the the intangibles that are not easily replaced:

The respect he receives from others, leadership skills, masterful referee manipulation, detailed knowledge of the rules about what he and the Darkness can get away with and what they cant. You can't buy that off the shelf. That would really screw the Darkness if he was ruled out, and while probs still a decent candidate to win nonetheless, it would make it a very very even playing field.

Anyone seen John the Bookie in NZ? There would be a lot of maney changing hands if you could get in on the action early enough.

Wow. No DC, No Sir Richie. As plenty of others have stated, the tournament would be a lot poorer with RMcC and DC out, and feed the conspiracy and choke theorists.

If the Darkness didn't get up, if would leave plenty of What if's, If only's unanswered and unresolved. "24 more years boys"?

T

tblackadder

it sux thats carters out

but surely now it gives the abs a chance to revert to type and make a wacky selection in their backline like they usually do in world cups

bringing cruden into the squad is a smokescreen

is leon mcdonald still playing somewhere...i think he played a game at 5/8 once........

my prediction...kill two aces with one selection and bring dagg into 5/8 with mills at the back...thereby nullifying a genuine attacking threat that is dagg.....

other great moments in ab wold cup selections:

kieran crowley (aka the worlds slowest full back) in 91 (while inga tuigamala sat on the sidelines....until theey gave inga a game in the 3/4th play off - yes we won that !)
cullen at centre and wilson at full back in 99
leon macdonald at centre (in for umanga) at 03 (hello nonu)

Status
Not open for further replies.