• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Is there not a rule about how much time there should between boys playing two collision games? Saturday for school and Sunday for Village is within 72 hours. Or is it different because one is school and the other village?

No its a simple 70 minutes per day - whether school or club. If a parent was silly enough to allow a child to participate on Friday, Saturday & Sunday - then that would be an adult making a foolish decision for the child.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That overlooks a couple of things.
For season 2013 there was zero recruiting done apparently owing to administrative oversight.
Also, that u17s team would have been coached by Tony Dempsey (I think) who is the colts coach this season together as was this season's assistant.
Players like Matt Dixon and Mitch Hardy came from public schools into gordon colts but they were playing colts when they were still under 18. That was late 80's.
In the early 80's the place had a lot of public school kids. In 79 CHS toured Japan and half the Colts had CHS kit in 1980.
There hasn't been much change in the numbers of kids enrolled in the north shore private schools in the decades since so i think, yet again, there's a strong case for attributing this fall off to a decline in the playing of rugby in the public schools and a massive change in the demographics in and around Chatswood: a clue lies in the name of the centre where the club house once stood!
Presumably the concern you express is the reason for abolishing the grandfather clause: but don't expect to necessarily improve the quality or quantity of rugby, on the contrary.
There are quite a few Gordon juniors,who play Oz Schoolboys last year,playing elsewhere this year.
Had they retained those players,that attracts other players etc etc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And let's not forget that Gordon have a huge catchment area and are about the only place in Sydney that have little or no league opposition. IIRC there is a junior league club at Willoughby and another at Asquith (and maybe one at Hornsby?).

Those who are after an elite pathway will often go where they sense an opportunity, but in my experience the average everyday rugby player will stay with his local club if he feels an attachment to it. If Gordon are struggling to retain these players then it's probably a reflection on how they have been treated by the club over a number of years.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Those who are after an elite pathway will often go where they sense an opportunity
That's true, and it may work the other way as well - those who want elite players establish the pathway for them.
My example is not from SJRU but country - similar problems. From the u15 Illawarra team a few years back;
3 to Kings
2 to Joeys
2 to Scots
1 to Knox
1 to Newington
1 to Riverview.
10 or more lost to the local competition. Local comp struggles. No local comp = no more opportunity to become "elite".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Those who are after an elite pathway will often go where they sense an opportunity, but in my experience the average everyday rugby player will stay with his local club if he feels an attachment to it. If Gordon are struggling to retain these players then it's probably a reflection on how they have been treated by the club over a number of years.

They've lost 4 oz schools players and NSW schools player.
That's a fair hole in any junior program in one year with, no doubt, mates following the elite.
But just to take a step back: this supposed to be the heartland of rugby in Sydney, whatever the reasons its a bit of a worry.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
They've lost 4 oz schools players and NSW schools player.
That's a fair hole in any junior program in one year with, no doubt, mates following the elite.
But just to take a step back: this supposed to be the heartland of rugby in Sydney, whatever the reasons its a bit of a worry.
Where did they go?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I am suggesting that part of the "reason" is the very idea of players being elite. FFS most of them will NOT play Super Rugby and might make some money in Europe. The values associated with elite are wrong. They are held out to kids so that various teams or interests can attract the better (not elite) players. Reminds me of JOC (James O'Connor) talking about developing his "brand". He was just a kid then - he learned that from the grown ups. Irony of course is that with all the emphasis on elite pathways - we may be looking at a post apocryphal age where you just play rugby because you enjoy the game, and you won't get paid because the whole elite pathway dies in the arse.

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
apocryphal - a story or statement of doubtful authenticity although widely circulated as being true

there's a couple minutes out of my life that I'll never get back looking up the meaning of that bloody word !

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am suggesting that part of the "reason" is the very idea of players being elite.

Surely if you play oz schools for 2 years your entitled to be considered elite?
I mean out of all the kids who play the game each year only about 30 get called that.
Its no big deal - I have my doubts as to any of these guys making it to pro rugby - but they've reach the pinnacle for their short lives so far!

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
No its a simple 70 minutes per day - whether school or club. If a parent was silly enough to allow a child to participate on Friday, Saturday & Sunday - then that would be an adult making a foolish decision for the child.

I think you will find it is actually 90 mins per day. That is why the State Champs have 22.5 min halves.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And since 2010 junior club rugby has declined alarmingly. Tends to vindicate what Garling was saying in many ways and makes NSWRU look rather foolish in comparison.

Interesting that many on this thread have come to the same conclusions as Garling, although he is far more forensic and articulate in reaching those conclusions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And since 2010 junior club rugby has declined alarmingly. Tends to vindicate what Garling was saying in many ways and makes NSWRU look rather foolish in comparison.

Interesting that many on this thread have come to the same conclusions as Garling, although he is far more forensic and articulate in reaching those conclusions.
Forensic might be stretching it: he showed his background by talking up the refs

Status
Not open for further replies.