• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ok I'll bite.
615,000 participants.
230,000 participants took part in competitions or structured Rugby programs.

If 400,000 ish participants did not take part in competitions or structured programs,how the fuck did they participate?

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
from the explanation I saw
more than 0 and less then 5 attendances to try rugby or similar is participating
5 or more is taking part in a structured competition or program

I imagine by this wording, the question is asked of a sample of the population(survey) and numbers extrapolated from that, rather than counting everyone that attends these events and risking counting them twice. (this has been a point of discussion when these figures are trotted out each year) This avoids counting a club player playing at school and attending a "try Rugby" thing at north Sydney oval as two players and one "participant" or working out if this has occurred

Statisticians could tell us the ideal sample size and margin of error but I believe a survey sample of around 1000 reduces the margin of error to a level that isn't significantly improved until you sample a ridiculously expensive number or portion of the population. The cost of which blows out significantly if you live in WA where they forget where the samples were put.

Is there any explanation in the paper as to how the data was collected

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The participation figures include club and school competitions, irregular gala days, 7s, golden oldies, women's rugby, try rugby and on and on it goes. Boys who play school, club and go in a 7s gala day are counted 3 times

USA Rugger did a great analysis of the figures on the ARU participation thread and proved the statistics to be a work of fiction.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
What will SJRU/NSWRU do with the advent of 7's? Surely Commonwealth and Olympic gold will translate into $ but will this be just another dead-end or will they grab the nettle? Garling hardly asks, except in passing. Perhaps he fears the worst.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What will SJRU/NSWRU do with the advent of 7's? Surely Commonwealth and Olympic gold will translate into $ but will this be just another dead-end or will they grab the nettle? Garling hardly asks, except in passing. Perhaps he fears the worst.
Does the money for Olympic sports come back to the sport directly or through the AOC? And if the latter does the AOC take a clip?
According to Wikipedia the AOC funds attendance for all teams at the Olympics from which I would expect they take the income, which would probably not be differentiated between the various sports. But someone will know how it works.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We're making the dangerous assumption of course that NSWJRU/NSWRU will in fact grasp the nettle. 4 years since the Garling Report and no evidence of nettles being grasped by NSWRU as yet;).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Does the money for Olympic sports come back to the sport directly or through the AOC? And if the latter does the AOC take a clip?

My understanding is that the AOC gets the lot. Funds allocated to Olympic sports are through the Sports Commission.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

My understanding is that the AOC gets the lot. Funds allocated to Olympic sports are through the Sports Commission.

Which means there is not likely to be more money in rugby from participation in the olympics - and the commonwealth games have had rugby for some time and theres no sign of $$ trickling down.
meanwhile we tread water (at best) and the US catch up - little by little - working on their "youth":
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-of-americas-rugby-union-with-nigel-melville

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
The participation figures include club and school competitions, irregular gala days, 7s, golden oldies, women's rugby, try rugby and on and on it goes. Boys who play school, club and go in a 7s gala day are counted 3 times

USA Rugger did a great analysis of the figures on the ARU participation thread and proved the statistics to be a work of fiction.

so we are back to how many caught the Manly ferry last year, if you count the trips everyone in Sydney did and a few visitors, truth be known it was just the same 10000 twice a day
I will put the rose glasses away for another year then

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
so we are back to how many caught the Manly ferry last year, if you count the trips everyone in Sydney did and a few visitors, truth be known it was just the same 10000 twice a day
I will put the rose glasses away for another year then

I've tried to follow the content above, and what / why / how this post is relevant to people jumping on a ferry or jet cat to gods country:).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Just a quick question to save re reading pages.
League / Union / AFL - what day / age bracket do the kids play their weekend sport?
I know in mini's it's rugby on Saturday.
I know school sport is Saturdays.
but I thought I read sometime that rugby is on Sundays as they get older??

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rugby
  1. minis-sat
  2. juniors fri night/ sun
  3. school -Sat
AFL
  1. Sunday I think
League

1. little kids - Sat
  2. upto 15 -Sat
  3. 16 onward -Sun

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I've tried to follow the content above, and what / why / how this post is relevant to people jumping on a ferry or jet cat to gods country:).

Its a lies and statistics thing

clearly ARU see Rugby as a pathway or any other mode of public transport
one person making a trip counts as one the same person making the same trip three times counts as three, ( I saw a sign on the ferry once saying 5000000 passengers last year, or similar.)
I hope they don't start counting the empty seats as a journey as this is the potential for each trip.

A truer presentation of participation may take a study in the manner I noted earlier, a random sample of 1000 people may find 15-20 that have taken part in rugby, closer questioning would determine the level. this would avoid counting participants many times
that would mean having someone volunteer to make 5000-10000 phone calls at between 6pm and 7:30pm each evening in each capital city ('cause the sponsor really doesn't want to pay to know the truth)

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSWRU board

Rob MILLNER Sydney Rugby Union
Nick FARR-JONES Chairman, Independent Director
Tim GAVIN President
Arthur LAUNDY Independent Director
Michael MATHERS Vice President
Geoff GARLAND Youth Director (NSW Schools Rugby Union)
Paul TIMMINS NSW Suburban Rugby Union
Bruce WORBOYS Executive Director
Peter VEENSTRA NSW Country

somebody said before if you are not a member of an organisation you do not have to contribute to it.

references to schools are all over the ARU and NSWRU website

what umbrella does the SJRU come under ? who represents the SJRU on the NSWRU board ?

Who do we go to get things changed ? is it SJRU, NSWJRU, SRU, NSW Suburban RU.

why doesn't the NSWJRU have a seat on the board if schools do ? who looks after our interests aside from G&GR

Status
Not open for further replies.