• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Chiefs v Reds 7/6 QF

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
As soon as I saw O'Qweef was the ref I thought "GAGR is going to go to town on the poor bastard, hometown ref, reason we lost, couldnt get a call etc. Shiggers will be having an aneurysm in his gruds by halftime....."

.....and yet even to me the ref did actually seem totally biased against the Reds. They could not get a call. Maybe it was cos they were getting flattened but as the game went on I thought "oh shit the GAGR ref gripers have actually got a case here ffs....."
Out with one Colour next up scratching of the Blue... Who would name there team after a stupid colour anyway

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Tate and Lynahh stuff is a bit academic. That first half was lost in a landslide in the forwards and general contact. With the whistle in the pocket it was a carve up. Were Daly and Blyth injured? I’d have had one of them in, Uru at 8, and Bryant bench. More starch in at lock, bigger back row. Not that it’d have made much difference.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Guess which team is which, and guess the obscured numbers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240608-120428.png
    Screenshot_20240608-120428.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240608-120526.png
    Screenshot_20240608-120526.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 48

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ I think if you isolated those stats by Half you'd find Chiefs utterly dominant in the first & Reds ahead but not dominantly so in the second. Chiefs did the damage early then went into @Dismal Pillock "keeping the powder dry" mode.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Deckchairs on the Titanic stuff but I thought it was strange to start Lynagh this week when Creighton was very good last week at 10 and Creighton is more physical and more experienced.
Creighton was certainly not perfect last night but the Reds seemed to play a lot more effectively after he came on.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
O’Keefe refereed the way he always does and, as happens too much, the Kiwi sides took advantage and we didn’t. I don’t think O’Keefe’s style suits us, but it surely couldn’t have been unexpected by the players.

It did have a big bearing on the result but I don’t think that is O’Keefe’s fault.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Creighton was certainly not perfect last night but the Reds seemed to play a lot more effectively after he came on.
I thought Creighton went well, but I thought our forward pack was a lot more competitive in the second half so he had a much easier platform.

I’ve been very impressed with Lynagh this year. I think he’s been as good as any of the Aussie 10s who have all been inconsistent. But I’ve also said previously that I don’t think we should be trying to put guys like Lynagh or Ryan (and there are a couple of others from other teams) into test rugby yet. If they keep improving their time will almost certainly come but let’s stop throwing these young guys in before they are ready. I think last night supports my view.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Chiefs deserved to win that, I don't think anyone is actually questioning this. They came out fired up, physical and clinical.

What I will say about referees, specifically regarding the breakdown, is that their correct or incorrect interpretation in the first 5/10/15 minutes has a massive impact on the game.

BOK's interpretation of the breakdown last night was overwhelmingly more in favor of the Chiefs(for most of the game). Allowing that sloppiness, not supporting bodyweight, diving over the ruck, constantly in the 9/10 channel, not knowing when a ruck is actually formed, offsides, clearing out past the ruck etc took away the Reds gameplan. The Chiefs then knew they wouldn't get pinged for these infringements, so they just kept doing it. While the Reds were expecting it to get called up and were clearly frustrated.

Like I said, Reds didn't deserve to win. They ended up building nicely into the game about 30 mins too late. Had they converted a couple of those scoring opportunities at the end of the first half it would have been a really exciting game but I have no doubt the Chiefs would have put their foot back on the accelerator. I don't know how, but there needs to be more consistency in reffing the breakdown. It's probably the single most important aspect of the modern game. We can't have every ref seeing it differently.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah and it’s on us to be wise enough to see this early and adapt our own game accordingly. We clearly did not until far too late. A few people rightly highlighted us waiting for penalties that never came a few times - we were in a dockyard brawl and just needed to scrap right back.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Should clarify too Purce, I absolutely agree with you re: lack of consistency in refereeing. When you think about it it’s kind of insane how you could watch two games of rugby back to back and almost see two different sports.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah and it’s on us to be wise enough to see this early and adapt our own game accordingly. We clearly did not until far too late. A few people rightly highlighted us waiting for penalties that never came a few times - we were in a dockyard brawl and just needed to scrap right back.
I absolutely agree with this however when the calls seem soo obvious and they don't come, then it's impossible to not get frustrated when you're on the receiving end. They probably should have taken matters into their own hands but they seemed to continue to play within a certain set of rules... which didn't work out for them.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I have to say credit to the Reds though this season for really cleaning up their act on the field. I've been really impressed with this group of young men in '24. Led by an impressive leadership group. I genuinely think they could do something special in the next couple of years.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I missed this one live, but it was a hard watch on replay. I always thought it would be a hard ask for the Reds to win this one, but it was a shame to see them blown away so early in the game.

I like this current iteration of the Reds, but I think like a lot of the Australian SuperRugby teams, they are just a handful of players short of the quality the top NZ teams have.

This Reds team has always looked their best of clean, quick ball. The Chiefs going hard at the breakdown was hardly surprising and while I do agree they do push the envelop at times (and have probably been the more thugish team this season) at the end of the day I don't think they or BOK were much different to how he has been this season so it was hardly unexpected.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon this game showed the difference in pecking order of the sport in the respective countries quite a lot. Super Rugby distant fourth for available athletes and it showed. Smaller and less athletic than the Chiefs boys across the park.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
It was apparent pretty much everywhere
I reckon this game showed the difference in pecking order of the sport in the respective countries quite a lot. Super Rugby distant fourth for available athletes and it showed. Smaller and less athletic than the Chiefs boys across the park.
It was apparent pretty much everywhere across the park especially centres, back 3 and loose forwards.

And this is why all the calls from people for Josh Flook to play 13 or wing for the Wallabies frustrate me. He will be playing against equally good footballers but significantly better athletes.