• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm sure ALL sporting organisations would like that... But it is never going to happen, nor should it...

You do know that sport production and news are separate departments?
and current affairs/new is a seperate department from marketing for a stations promos. All the interesting news about the Block and the Voice are news content and not promotions:)

seriously though, dont you ever see a link between what is considered sports news and what sports are shown on a network? They may be seperate departments but they share the same adgenda

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and current affairs/new is a seperate department from marketing for a stations promos. All the interesting news about the Block and the Voice are news content and not promotions:)

seriously though, dont you ever see a link between what is considered sports news and what sports are shown on a network? They may be seperate departments but they share the same adgenda

I work at one of the networks, and for the most part sport helps drives the news ratings...

Also, Channel 9 news in Melbourne favour the AFL over the NRL... because that's what people want to see...

Channel 7's Today Tonight do stories that tie in with the Block and Masterchef...

The news departments do what they do for the ratings...

The news department at Channel 9 is irrelevant to the ARU's arrangement with Channel 9 and Wide World of Sports...

I'm not saying there isn't cross promotion, but "guaranteed news coverage" would never come up in negotiations, and no commercial news network would ever guarantee rugby one news story every night...

If Channel 9 lost the rights to the NRL their news department would still run a story every night about the sport in their Sydney/Brisbane markets because if they didn't then they would be caned in the ratings...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Well nine is showing the Wallabies vs. Scotland at 11:15pm because.... They couldn't get the paperwork done in time to get it moved to GEM. How bloody convienient... Useless pricks.

CHANNEL 9 are relying on Scott Cam and an 86-year-old grandmother to tackle their network rivals in prime time and have given the Wallabies the boot.

While Will Genia and co are playing a live Test against Scotland in Newcastle on Tuesday night at 8pm, Nine - rugby's free-to-air broadcaster - will screen The Block and the Queens' Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

The Wallabies Test be on delay at 11.15pm.

Given the huge ratings of The Block, the decision came as no surprise to ARU officials yesterday but there was disappointment that legislative red tape prevented the first Test from being shown live on Nine's digital channel Gem.

The original broadcast deal signed by Nine in 2010 did not include the extra mid-week Test against

Scotland, given it was only added into the Wallabies' schedule last year.

Nine were therefore only due to begin their 2012 rugby coverage with the three-Test Wales series on Saturday week, but after pressure from the ARU the network recently picked up the rights to also show the Scotland Test.

Anti-siphoning laws stipulate all Wallaby Tests on free-to-air must be shown on the primary channel but it was hoped Nine could get dispensation from the Federal Government to show the Scotland Test live on a

digital channel.

Nine sports boss Steve Crawley said because of the 11th hour rights deal for the Scotland Test, however, there wasn't enough time to process the paperwork in Canberra.

"We initially didn't have the rights for the Scotland game and once we had acquired those, we ran out of time," he said. "There was thought it could go on Gem but that's not allowed, so it has to appear on the primary channel."Fox Sports will screen the game live, and Nine will use their commentary and broadcast in the 11.15pm replay.

"Going live would have been our preference," an ARU spokesman said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ns-and-the-block/story-fn8ti7yn-1226375699922

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I've asked Iain Payten on twitter if it's due to Conroy's office holding it up.

I don't care who it is, give me a target.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
More reasons to get Foxtel, live and no ads

If you look at any of the NRL forums you will see the same type of complaints from that much more successful sport - they can't even schedule games for the season.

Why would anyone think Channel Nine would offer a decent service on minor games that would affect their regular programming

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Channel 9 also knows that they will get better overall ratings on the night by having The Block on at the normal time and showing the rugby at 11:15.

Putting the rugby on live on their digital channel just cannibalises some of their own ratings.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Channel 9 also knows that they will get better overall ratings on the night by having The Block on at the normal time and showing the rugby at 11:15.

Putting the rugby on live on their digital channel just cannibalises some of their own ratings.
Well that's easy, if you want NIne to show rugbyh live in future don't watch the block this Tuesday!

An email bombardment of Stephen Conroy's office may yield some results (they need all the popularity they can get).
email: mailto:senator.conroy@aph.gov.au
phone:
(03) 9391 4952 or 03 9650 1188

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So I guess those who don't have Fox in Aus will be avoiding G&G during the game so they can avoid knowing the score for the delayed coverage. I always hated having to do that because even if you didn't find out the score someone might make a comment like "great win" or "we were unlucky" that would give away who won.

At least for this one it's only a few hours delay, but still it's not the same as watching live and some part of your subconscious believing that what you shout at the TV might have an effect on the outcome of the game.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
So I guess those who don't have Fox in Aus will be avoiding G&G during the game so they can avoid knowing the score for the delayed coverage. I always hated having to do that because even if you didn't find out the score someone might make a comment like "great win" or "we were unlucky" that would give away who won.

At least for this one it's only a few hours delay, but still it's not the same as watching live and some part of your subconscious believing that what you shout at the TV might have an effect on the outcome of the game.
That and the fact it is on a Tuesday night and people have to get up for work early in the morning. So chances are most people won't be able to watch it until after work the next day - good luck avoiding the score / comments in that regard. I am ticked off as there are only a handful of opportunities to watch top class rugby at home in a year (don't have FOX) and due to this decision won't be able to watch it as I have to be up for work early.

Tez T

Bob McCowan (2)
For the many clubs in the 3rd Tier that can't afford to pay the exorbitant cost to subscribe to Fox Sports, it would be great to be able to have the test live on FTA in their venues.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
11.15?!?!?

What is happening to Survivor that night...

This action by Channel 9 is making it harder to use free-to-air TV to get any meaningful and useful entertainment from them.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'm typing up an email to Conroy now, I'll share here when done and can be used as a template.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Well that's easy, if you want NIne to show rugbyh live in future don't watch the block this Tuesday!

An email bombardment of Stephen Conroy's office may yield some results (they need all the popularity they can get).
email: mailto:senator.conroy@aph.gov.au
phone:
(03) 9391 4952 or 03 9650 1188

It would be more effective if the email campaign is directed straight to Channel 9. I have a friend who works in the broadcasting area of Conroy's department and he's the poor bloke who will have to draft the letters responding to the emails - he said to me that there's nothing much the government can do if Nine is operating within the regulations.

There was a recent example where Channel 10 was planning to delay coverage of a Formula 1 race and Mark Webber tweeted something along the lines that it was poor form and it generated a flood of responses. Ten ended up reversing the decision, so it might be worthwhile if some of the well-known Wallaby tweeters like Quade Cooper make similar comments about Nine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was a recent example where Channel 10 was planning to delay coverage of a Formula 1 race and Mark Webber tweeted something along the lines that it was poor form and it generated a flood of responses. Ten ended up reversing the decision, so it might be worthwhile if some of the well-known Wallaby tweeters like Quade Cooper make similar comments about Nine.

I think this is a really good idea.

If you could get Quade and Steph Rice to tweet (in an Olympics year with Channel 9 the Olympic broadcaster), plus a few other Wallabies (maybe the injured ones JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) lamenting that they can't watch it), it would surely help the cause.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm typing up an email to Conroy now, I'll share here when done and can be used as a template.
Some ammo for ya;
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/nrl-games-to-air-on-gem/story-e6frg996-1226312738178
And the "facts", that go against what I thought re the main channel and being allowed to show it on a secondary channel;
http://www.keepsportfree.com.au/content_common/pg-the-facts.seo
and another about Conroy;
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...sports-codes-on-freetoair-20120322-1vmx8.html

Status
Not open for further replies.