• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sent this to customer.service@ninemsn.com.au:
Channel 9,

I'm writing to inform you that your poor performance in terms of broadcasting Australian Rugby Union tests live over the course of the 2011 Rugby World Cup and again with tonights match against Scotland have left me dumbfounded. As a result, I am removing all channel 9 presets from my television and boycotting all channel nine programs. I know I am only one viewer, however you should know that this has occurred.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Just sent this email to that customer service email address.

Your delayed telecast of this Rugby International at Midnight is a disgrace. Your failure to arrange for the permission required to broadcast it on an additional digital channel like GEM is pathetic. Using anti-siphoning laws as an excuse for this woeful and inadequate planning and to mask your obvious indifference to the game of Rugby Union is as transparent as it is insulting. Prioritising a concert for an elderly and irrelevant royal figurehead from the other side of the world is a cynical and shallow decision.

Your performance with the RWC Broadcast rights should have prepared all Rugby fans for just such a display and yet I am still surprised by the utter disdain and lack of respect you display for a National Sporting Team representing our Country and for the many Australians who support the Wallabies.

You should know that your conduct is being widely discussed and that the already tarnished image and reputation of Channel 9 in sports broadcasting has been further damaged, along with your Brand and your station’s credibility and integrity as a whole. The hypocritical lip service you pay to being a supporter of Rugby Union is shown to be a lie by your conduct. You should be aware of the consequences decisions like this have on your Brand and your goodwill in the community.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
not one Union story on CH9 Brisbane again, what is Andrew Slack doing as sports director? Surely he is aware of the game being on?

I guess there may be a preview on the late news before the game tonight

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
No one seeing this game has probably done wonders to the reputation of rugby in Australia

I know right?

If that HAD gone live on FTA it would have caused a lot of damage to Brand Rugby and Brand Wallabies.

How ironic.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The only people jumping ship in Newcastle recently was when that boat parked on the beach a few years back.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
So only Lions supporters when they have their NSW/QLD Country combined tour game nextyear?

L

LMSmith

Spectacular

Just tried to watch the Wallabies vs Scotland on TV here in Perth.
Given that it was delayed until 11.45 (!) I recorded it to watch this morning.
Channel 9 managed to show the first 15 minutes, followed by 6 versions of the national anthems, about 30s towards the end, and then a Guns and Roses video.

How exactly are they planning on growing the game in WA with this level of coverage?
If I was more conspiracy minded..........

BTW The Wales game is also listed as starting at 11.45 on Saturady. So much for Gem!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think that the following should occur:

Any commercial FTA network (I don't that ABC nor SBS would have the money to bid) that has the rights to show Wallabies tests must show it live on their main channel.
If they can't or won't show it live on their main channel they must show it live on one their other digital channels (preferably their HD channel) and they must show it on delay on their main channel.

I wonder if the ARU would have the balls to demand that this occurs.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
"You have purchased the rights to broadcast the game live"

"If you have not organized to play the game live within one week of the game, we reserve the right to allow a competitor broadcaster to air it"

I wonder if the model could be changed, so anyone could broadcast the game, if they give a % of advertising revenue to the ARU.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Obviously it's shit for those without Foxtel that the game wasn't shown live and we can, and should, push this point with the 9 Network.

That being YOU could have gone to your local with your mates, ordered a parma, and enjoyed the game of rugby at a decent hour. The issue of 9 not showing it is a speed hump for fans, not a stop sign.

The bigger issue is not for fans like us but more for lay people who won't come across our game channel surfing and give it a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.