• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2024

Nevergiveup

Frank Nicholson (4)
Based on the 2 Waves games, it appears that both Knox and Barker rely on the pick and drive to score most of their tries.
It is an extremely boring style of footy, but effective, and that may have only been the case to combat a strong Waves backline.

In splitting the 2 sides, I would say that the Barker pack, led by Nick Hill, is stronger than the Knox pack.
It's not clear, based on the 2 Waves games, which backline is better, as both Knox and Barker didn't really use their backs.

It will be interesting to see if either side really use their backs, ie running rugby, that might lead 1 team to victory.
Aside from the forward match up, given that the game is at Barker, I predict that Barker will win comfortably.

However, given that Barker and Waverley have consistently shared the trophy since 2017, I hope Knox win, and it would be nice given it's their centenary year.

P.S. I am not a politician :p
Defence wins comps and Knox contained Waves “Strong backline” well last weekend. I’m predicting Roach to be a handful and the back row of Orr, Haslam and Turner to be the difference. It will be a packed house with Knox getting it done by 7

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Defence wins comps and Knox contained Waves “Strong backline” well last weekend. I’m predicting Roach to be a handful and the back row of Orr, Haslam and Turner to be the difference. It will be a packed house with Knox getting it done by 7
Waves were missing two of their best against Barker too - both returned against Knox. So make of that what you will.

Redtilldead24

Frank Nicholson (4)
If Knox can speed up the game and get quality ball out to there edges I think they can pip barker.
However, doing that will be tough, as I do believe barker have the stronger forward pack by a way, especially if TJ is playing.
My guess is goal kicking will decide the game

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Well the Waves backline scored all 3 of their tries and just missed a fourth with the last forward pass.
Knox scored all 4 tries through their forwards, which I think supports my comment.

Doesn't matter now, so Best of luck to both Knox and Barker, may the best side win.
I think Barker by 10+. But would like to see a Knox win!

Nevergiveup

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well the Waves backline scored all 3 of their tries and just missed a fourth with the last forward pass.
Knox scored all 4 tries through their forwards, which I think supports my comment.

Doesn't matter now, so Best of luck to both Knox and Barker, may the best side win.
Incorrect. Caswell scored in the corner??? The try scored by the Waves 9 was very opportunistic to say the least and the try scored by the 13 was a dive over the line from an inside ball 2 metres out…..

Soupnasty

Allen Oxlade (6)

The game is on NSW Rugby TV.
Waverley's first 2 try's were from isolating and skinning props out wide (the 2nd one included 2 clear knock-ons)
Knox Try 1 - Forwards pick and drive Try
Knox Try 2 - Forwards pick and drive Try
Knox try 3 - Fullback out wide
Waverley Try 3 - Centre crash over close to ruck inside ball
Knox Try 4 - Lineout, 10m, Maul and score

Waverley's final try attempt, after camping on Knox's try line and repeated attempts to crash over, Knox's defence held them out - Waverley spread wide in a final attempt and the pass goes forward

Last edited:

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Incorrect. Caswell scored in the corner??? The try scored by the Waves 9 was very opportunistic to say the least and the try scored by the 13 was a dive over the line from an inside ball 2 metres out…..
Well aside from the fact that the Waves backs did score all their 3 tries, as I said, in general play they also used their backline more than Knox.
All of the Waves tries were backline plays!!! and an opportunist try still confirms how much more dangerous the Waves backline proved on the day.

I stand corrected that 1 of the Knox 4 tries was scored by a back, the other 3 were all pick and drives 5 metres out by the Knox forwards, a game plan I have seen for over a decade now by Knox, backs rarely sighted against Waves, maybe different against other schools.

I think if Knox continue to use pick and drive as their main weapon against Barker then the Barker side will have more strike power across the park.
Barker deserved to win at Death Valley, overall they lead all the way and looked the better side but it still could have gone the other way,
and as you know it's very hard to win at DV.
Waves had a solid lead against Knox 17-3 at Knox, but got run down and still again could have won at the death on Knox turf.

I would like to see Knox win, as it's their Centenary year, but I think on Barker turf, Barker will win well.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Waverley's first 2 try's were from isolating and skinning props out wide (the 2nd one included 2 clear knock-ons)
Interesting point to highlight- but you didn’t highlight any issues with the Knox tries?

Blue glasses painted on? Came off the Knox kids hand anyway pretty clearly on the footage.

If your highlighting things like that- should we highlight that 2 Knox tries were preceded by lineouts that the ref eventually penalised Knox for with their illegal set up?

I have a couple more too if you want that you can see on the footage.

Last edited:

Soupnasty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting point to highlight- but you didn’t highlight any issues with the Knox tries?

Blue glasses painted on? Came off the Knox kids hand anyway pretty clearly on the footage.

If your highlighting things like that- should we highlight that 2 Knox tries were preceded by lineouts that the ref eventually penalised Knox for with their illegal set up?

I have a couple more too if you want that you can see on the footage.
Yeah, that'd be great. I didn't see any issues with the other Waverley Try's or the Knox Try's but happy to check the footage again. Ultimately none of it matters of course.

For interest, Knockon 1 in Waverley's second try occurs at 15.39 in the footage, or 13.03 on the game clock, and Knockon 2 occurs at 15.59 in the footage and 13.23 on the game clock. Only if you're interested, all good fun in the lead-up to the last round,

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah, that'd be great. I didn't see any issues with the other Waverley Try's or the Knox Try's but happy to check the footage again. Ultimately none of it matters of course.

For interest, Knockon 1 in Waverley's second try occurs at 15.39 in the footage, or 13.03 on the game clock, and Knockon 2 occurs at 15.59 in the footage and 13.23 on the game clock. Only if you're interested, all good fun in the lead-up to the last round,
Easy.

Knoxys first and second tries preceded by Knox setting up with two halfbacks in the lineout.

So turn those ones over and the Waverley knock on and Waves still win.

Whatsthatcall

Bob McCowan (2)
Very excited for this weeks game and agree postmortems aren’t really productive.
IMG_7401.jpeg

Knox_to_win

Frank Nicholson (4)
A bit disappointing our boys are on here complaining about a try after they win a game instead of focusing on this weekend.

How embarrassing.

Referee calls both ways impacted that outcome. Knox got lucky calls as well. Can we get our heads in the game please Black and Blue?

Whatsthatcall

Bob McCowan (2)
A bit disappointing our boys are on here complaining about a try after they win a game instead of focusing on this weekend.

How embarrassing.

Referee calls both ways impacted that outcome. Knox got lucky calls as well. Can we get our heads in the game please Black and Blue?
If you’re referring to me I can assure you I’m not one of the boys. I can also assure you my focus is entirely on this weekend. I just find it frustrating that people talk up things that they know nothing about.

Nevergiveup is 100% correct that defence wins games. Whoever said the first two tries were scored because the Waverley backline isolated two props is very wrong. The first try yes. The second one was scored from an overlap 4 on 2 a great ball from Patea to get around a compressed defence BUT Knox defence rallied and the prop (who was injured) chased hard. The play was shut down by the winger holding wide and trusting the Prop and Jecks to take the inside player. The ball from Waverleys centre was NOT controlled by the winger (knock on) and the defensive effort of Knox should have been rewarded. Alas it was not. That kind of defence (especially that shown from the injured prop) will prove the difference this weekend.

Knox by 12
(Play to the whistle Lads)

Last edited: