• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2024

Snort1

Stan Wickham (3)
I only saw half of the Trinity/Aloys game, and missed most of Aloys' comeback. Of what I saw, Aloys were at their best when they got pick-and-go drives going. Funnily enough, they had two surprisingly effective lineouts when the thrower missed the jumper and the ball fell unexpectedly to an unmarked player. Trinity rumbled out to a 24-0 lead and then perhaps relaxed a little, having a long stretch without possession. A word for winger Brock Prideaux who scored three tries, was a handful every time he saw the ball, and scored one great individual try chasing his own grubber.

Soupnasty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker v Knox undefeated for the final round.
What a great game to end the season.
2 Questions:
1) Who do you want to win?
2) Who do you tip to win?

There are interesting match-ups across the 2 teams

RugbyBot

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker v Knox undefeated for the final round.
What a great game to end the season.
2 Questions:
1) Who do you want to win?
2) Who do you tip to win?

There are interesting match-ups across the 2 teams
The match ups are interesting. Two of the best front rows in Sydney, though it looked like the Knox tight head got injured last week and without him the scrum may suffer. Knox has a gun back row and may edge it there, esp if TJ is out. Barker may have the better halves, but Jecks is getting better every game.

outside backs Poynton is the best player but if they can keep him quiet I think Knox will edge it.

so Knox and Knox

Soupnasty

Allen Oxlade (6)
The match ups are interesting. Two of the best front rows in Sydney, though it looked like the Knox tight head got injured last week and without him the scrum may suffer. Knox has a gun back row and may edge it there, esp if TJ is out. Barker may have the better halves, but Jecks is getting better every game.

outside backs Poynton is the best player but if they can keep him quiet I think Knox will edge it.

so Knox and Knox
Nice summary
But gee I reckon that Caswell might have developed to be at least the equal of Poynton now (maybe ahead)

rick waterhouse

Frank Row (1)
I was watching Trinity v Aloys 2XV and my word. That super sub Anton Dimento was on fire. Just how he controlled the game after Matthew Nasr had an unfortunate injury to end his season. Anton's defence intelligence was rather fantastic. Hope to see him in 2nds next weekend!

Along with their 3 Chris Webb these two bought Trinity over the line.

Soupnasty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Question to Waverley community.
You have played both Barker and Knox over the last 2 weeks, so you're uniquely positioned to give an opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of both teams going into this weekend?

simon_smith1972

Frank Row (1)
You have played both Barker and Knox over the last 2 weeks, so you're uniquely positioned to give an opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of both teams going into this weekend?
Barker have a very strong fit pack. Knox play a very good structured style of old school Rugby. Waverley could have won both but just fell short.

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Based on the 2 Waves games, it appears that both Knox and Barker rely on the pick and drive to score most of their tries.
It is an extremely boring style of footy, but effective, and that may have only been the case to combat a strong Waves backline.

In splitting the 2 sides, I would say that the Barker pack, led by Nick Hill, is stronger than the Knox pack.
It's not clear, based on the 2 Waves games, which backline is better, as both Knox and Barker didn't really use their backs.

It will be interesting to see if either side really use their backs, ie running rugby, that might lead 1 team to victory.
Aside from the forward match up, given that the game is at Barker, I predict that Barker will win comfortably.

However, given that Barker and Waverley have consistently shared the trophy since 2017, I hope Knox win, and it would be nice given it's their centenary year.

P.S. I am not a politician :p

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
From a Waves perspective, both teams could win it.

Both teams have weapons across the park.
Poynton and Hill are huge for Barker, Caswell and Turner the same for Knox.

I think each year Barker are a really well coached outfit- they always seem to have real knowledge about what they are doing and that is immensely helpful

There is a lot of pressure on Knox- so that may get the better of them too- but it may also help them lift.

Either way- both schools can be proud of their teams win or lose.

I hope the referee appointed is real quality because that may have the biggest impact on the quality of the contest and we just want the best team on the day to win.

james richards

Allen Oxlade (6)
Let's gather our final predictions for the 2024 CAS season:
Knox V Barker
Cranbrook V Aloys,
Wav V trinity

And for the sake of it let's get a final prediction ... will Aloys stay on 0 ladder points and can Cranbrook win by 40 Pts to put them in a -200 point difference for the season (possibly highest in history TBC)

My predictions:
Knox +3
Cranbrook +41
Wav 30+