• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2024

Lachie Goon

Allen Oxlade (6)
All this to lose to Pius and Kinross?
firstly, it's lose champ, obviously that Waverley education has been working wonders

secondly, the criticism of the loss to Pius is fair, although there were some officiating decisions in that game that made me wonder if the boys from Oxford Falls had employed the same tactics Knox basketball use when selecting referees for their games

thirdly, Kinross may have beaten us on the pitch, but who gets the view of Sydney Harbour???

The only view Kinross gets is a few cows and a couple of sheep if they're lucky

I'd rather go to school in Somalia than Orange

Keep up this pointless, puerile crap, LG, and you'll find yourself on the sidelines for a spell. With a good view of Sydney Harbour thrown in! Lindommer

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevergiveup

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Waverley will get pumped against a much better Cranbrook side this week. Their performance against Aloys was definitely a let down and perhaps indicative of a lack of a winning culture. I wouldn't be too chuffed to be one of the Queens Park Princesses this week.
Cranbrook certainly has the biggest forward pack in CAS but are lacking Rugby technique..Queens Park could be interesting

scrumhead99

Ted Fahey (11)
Knox vs Cranbrook

The scoreline did not do this game justice. Cranbrook were very competitive especially in the first half, going into the break the score was 7-5. Knox's defence was very good, as Cranbrook in the second half built up to 20 phases in the Knox 22, they weren't able to break through, whilst Knox strong in the middle, their edge defence wasn't so strong, but the same goes for Cranbrook's edge defence. Allowing both Cranbrook and Knox centres to be able to make easy metres on the edges. My standouts from the Knox forward pack would be, Tom Haslam (6), Jarvis Orr (7), and Heath Turner (8). Haslam and Turner, were strong runners and able to make good metres, whilst Orr and Haslam were defensively very good, with strong tackling and good in and around the ruck area. From the Knox backs their standouts were Max Roach (13), and Reilly Caswell (15), Roach unfortunate with continuous drop balls, was still able to take hard carries and make lots or metres, whilst Caswell's kicking game was very good and was a very evasive player. Now the standouts from the Cranbrook forward pack were, James Jackson (1), Jed Smith (7), Cameron Mackenzie (8), both the prop and the number 8 with strong carries and making good metres. Smith with not only strong carries, but great defensive display. Cranbrook's 9, and 10, Tom Marchant and Joey Tagg, were also very good. Tom Marchant with a good kicking game and great tackling on displays, and Joey Tagg, taking good carries to the line and making strong tackles too.

Congrats to Knox, who ultimately outplayed Cranbrook with a bit of help from the referee too. Waverley should not be complacent of this Cranbrook team. My best player from Knox would be the 8, Heath Turner, and my best player from Cranbrook would be Jed Smith (7).

PlaytheWhistle

Frank Row (1)
Knox vs Cranbrook

The scoreline did not do this game justice. Cranbrook were very competitive especially in the first half, going into the break the score was 7-5. Knox's defence was very good, as Cranbrook in the second half built up to 20 phases in the Knox 22, they weren't able to break through, whilst Knox strong in the middle, their edge defence wasn't so strong, but the same goes for Cranbrook's edge defence. Allowing both Cranbrook and Knox centres to be able to make easy metres on the edges. My standouts from the Knox forward pack would be, Tom Haslam (6), Jarvis Orr (7), and Heath Turner (8). Haslam and Turner, were strong runners and able to make good metres, whilst Orr and Haslam were defensively very good, with strong tackling and good in and around the ruck area. From the Knox backs their standouts were Max Roach (13), and Reilly Caswell (15), Roach unfortunate with continuous drop balls, was still able to take hard carries and make lots or metres, whilst Caswell's kicking game was very good and was a very evasive player. Now the standouts from the Cranbrook forward pack were, James Jackson (1), Jed Smith (7), Cameron Mackenzie (8), both the prop and the number 8 with strong carries and making good metres. Smith with not only strong carries, but great defensive display. Cranbrook's 9, and 10, Tom Marchant and Joey Tagg, were also very good. Tom Marchant with a good kicking game and great tackling on displays, and Joey Tagg, taking good carries to the line and making strong tackles too.

Congrats to Knox, who ultimately outplayed Cranbrook with a bit of help from the referee too. Waverley should not be complacent of this Cranbrook team. My best player from Knox would be the 8, Heath Turner, and my best player from Cranbrook would be Jed Smith (7).
Cheers for the writeup @scrumhead99

Must say I agree. After reffing one of the lower grade games I had the pleasure of watching what was for 90% of the game, a very tight contest. The other thing I would comment on is the level of support at the game. Knox, for what was meant to be their centenary game, put up a very poor showing in the stands. Very quiet throughout most of the game and really it seemed like most of the boys didn't want to be there. I don't think the weather was poor enough to be that discouraging to the Knox contingent so I think it was very disappointing.

On the other hand, Cranbrook, although small in number, were very vocal. Consistent chants which were delivered with passion and volume. There were keen to rip in to the Knox players and yell encouragement to their own. I think that the other CAS schools could learn a lot.

I think that with Cranbrook going up against Waverley, another school renowned for their passion in the stands, this game looks to become very interesting. Can't wait to see the Eastern Suburbs rivalry play out on the historic Hordern oval.

TheBoogieMan

Frank Nicholson (4)
We get it, the Aloys try was diabolical, caused carnage in the stands but thats footy. At the end of the day we are not the ones paid to make decisions and whatever the man on field decides is the correct score. Good on Waverley for maintaining composure and ultimately going home with the win.

Nevergiveup

Frank Nicholson (4)
Knox vs Cranbrook

Knox played poorly with a lot of unforced errors and lost their 9 after 15mins which didn’t help continuity but still won comfortably by 5 tries to 2..Cranbrook showed a lot character with some long passages of play in attack and will definitely push Waves & Barker

PlaytheWhistle

Frank Row (1)
We get it, the Aloys try was diabolical, caused carnage in the stands but thats footy. At the end of the day we are not the ones paid to make decisions and whatever the man on field decides is the correct score. Good on Waverley for maintaining composure and ultimately going home with the win.
End of the day Waverley were the worse quality team and I think they got lucky to scrape by with a win. I know there was that one Aloys try that probably shouldn't have been allowed be really they were the better side 90% of that game. Again I'll say that they are about to get pumped against Cranbrook at their home. Embarrassing that the reigning champs have been reduced to this. A disgrace to the memory of the Waverley College of old.

JQ-Alos4ever

Frank Row (1)
I'm keen to hear about the forthcoming development of yr 12 Waverley player Mackenzie Singh, he's been clinical in his performances leading up to the opening of the CAS competitions, this continued on Saturday when he played pivotal roles in both the 2s and 3s walk-over wins. One to watch out for I think

Yours truly, JQ

Lachie Goon

Allen Oxlade (6)
End of the day Waverley were the worse quality team and I think they got lucky to scrape by with a win. I know there was that one Aloys try that probably shouldn't have been allowed be really they were the better side 90% of that game. Again I'll say that they are about to get pumped against Cranbrook at their home. Embarrassing that the reigning champs have been reduced to this. A disgrace to the memory of the Waverley College of old.
Waverley rugby was in trouble the second Reuben Stock graduated, he was the heart and soul of that program and he's off doing even better things now, as much as I dislike Waverley wish we could've had a player like that last year