• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Can we have Cooper & O'Conner @10/12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In my opinion the list of 13s would be

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Iaone

Cummins/McCabe/Inman

Fainga'a
Delit/Kingston
Cross

All the players above Fainga'a in my pecking order are quality defenders and some threat in attack

The Brumbies really need to play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or McCabe at outside centre... for everybody's sake...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You're asking the Brumbies to do something sensible?

Seriously though, isn't it pretty clear that:

a) we have massively depleted stocks at 13 in Australia
b) fit and in-form, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne are our best option
c) Fainga'a is in contention for the position for a range of reasons, but is not the best option in an ideal world and there may be more enticing bolters (McCabe?) who leapfrog him, despite his solid all-round play
d) we won't know much of anything until injuries, Brumbies selections and other such variables play themselves out

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Deans will be making too many left field selections this year with the World Cup and a reduced test schedule...

I think a couple of backrowers will get an opportunity depending on Elsom's injury status... and Kepu and Morahan should find themselves back in the squad... but otherwise we'll continue to see the same names that have dominated the squad in the past couple of years depending on who's fit...

Where it will really get interesting is that 4th lock position with Sharpe, Horwill and probably Simmons the 3 certainties at this stage...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They are still all better suited to being a test match 13, no matter where they are playing in the S15.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was stuck on the wing for the ponies most of last year as well, but he was still the best option for 13 for the Wallabies.

I'll give you AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but I won't give you Cummins, McCabe and Inman, who have never played test football, so you would have no idea if they were suited or not.

And because of lack of distribution and possible defensive issues, I'm not even sure I can give you Ioane.

M

Maroon Army

Both Cummins and Inman would walk into the Australia A team.

I must say that the lack of love for Turner is quite disappointing.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Both Cummins and Inman would walk into the Australia A team.

I reckon I've seen him 'miss' 2 or 3 tries this year that someone like JOC (James O'Connor) would have scored.

That one against the Blues sticks out most in my mind....that should have been a try all day.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

He is a good player, makes little errors and a solid defender but IMO he is a winger that struggles to beat a man one on one. Sure he has pace but I have never ever seen him use it. Its great to have good defending players (especially in the centres) but I want my wingers to be attackers first. As mentioned by Bullrush he probably has missed a few tries that others would have scored... and others not only being wallabies like JOC (James O'Connor) but Davies, Morahan, Fainifo, Vuna, Speight, etc. all probably would have scored a few more if they had the same chances Turner had. NSW should look at moving Turner too the centres or fullback where I appreciate a more solid but less spectacular player more. Or since he lacks the one v one skills I think he might as well beef up and start getting some crash balling skills.

Although having said all that, he may lack attacking ability but he definitely won't let anybody down and some solid players is just what the wallabies need. It would give some nice balance to the likes of Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale. With Mitchell out I would not be disappointed seeing him in the wallabies but I cant see myself fighting for him to get a spot either. Digby I will fight for!

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Out of the current starting 13s in the oz super teams - who is obviously better? At the moment it looks like our 13 will be picked from someone not playing 13, which in itself is a concern.

Brumbies, sort your shit out and put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back at 13. And, please keep Giteau at 12. Stop changing back and forth.

brumbies need to recognize their season is over and start positioning players not whats best for them but whats best for the wallabies
thie means alexander, giteau and ashley cooper

W

waves

brumbies need to recognize their season is over and start positioning players not whats best for them but whats best for the wallabies
thie means alexander, giteau and ashley cooper

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) i'd imagin would have first crack at the 13 spot does anyone know when Horne is back ?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Going back to the idea of playing Fainga'a at 13...

He's currently ranked 13th in missed tackles with 25 missed tackles in the competition so far... equal with Ioane...

Obviously that doesn't mean a lot until you compare with tackles made and form a percentage of tackles completed in total, but it's still an interesting stat considering the main praise of his game is his defence (although it was pretty woeful in his only test start)...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stats I've taken from various web sites (ruggastats a big one)

Ant Fainga'a tackles made = 125
Ant Fainga'a tackles missed = 11

Interestingly since moving to out side centre in Rnd 8 he's missed only 2 tackles (both v Rebels) whilst making 51. This doesn't include Blues stats yet.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is what Rugbyheaven have put up... and to be honest I was surprised to see his name there:

Most Missed Tackles

1. Danny Cipriani (Rebels) 38
2. Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs) 35
2. Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs) 35
4. Julian Huxley (Rebels) 34
4. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 34
6. Nasi Manu (Highlanders) 33
7. Cooper Vuna (Rebels) 32
8. Brett Sheehan (Force) 31
8. Quade Cooper (Reds) 31
10. James Broadhurst (Hurricanes) 28
10. Stephen Brett (Blues) 28
12. Sias Ebersohn (Cheetahs) 27
13. Anthony Fainga'a (Reds) 25
13. Digby Ioane (Reds) 25

13. Jamie Mackintosh (Highlanders) 25
13. Robert Ebersohn (Cheetahs) 25
17. Bjorn Basson (Bulls) 24
17. Pekahou Cowan (Force) 24
17. Richard Brown (Force) 24
17. Victor Matfield (Bulls) 24

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Anthony Fainga'a Tackles 2011

Blues- Tackles Made 14, Tackles Missed 1
Rebels - Tackles Made 10, Tackles Missed 2
Hurricanes- Tackles Made 4, Tackles Missed 1
Waratahs - Tackles Made 13, Tackles Missed 0
Bulls - Tackles Made 11, Tackles Missed 0
Stormers - Tackles Made 17, Tackles Missed 0
Lions - Tackles Made 11, Tackles Missed 1
Cheetahs - Tackles Made 7, Tackles Missed 2
Rebels - Tackles Made 10, Tackles Missed 2
Brumbies - Tackles Made 14, Tackles Missed 1
Waratahs - Tackles Made 16, Tackles Missed 0
Force - Tackles Made 12, Tackles Missed 2
Total - Tackles Made 139, Tackles Missed 12, 92%
Average - Tackles Made 12, Tackles Missed 1
http://www.ruggastats.com/steams.aspx?T=9

So his stats at Outside - Made 69, Missed 4 or 95%

Could you link that Rugbyheaven list Slim? I cannot find it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sydney Morning Herald? Surely no one takes anything Rugby related from SMH seriously?

I'd say ruggastats.com is much more reliable.

As I said, the data is actually from Sports Data which supplies media agencies such as Fox Sports, Channel 9, various newspapers etc.

However, it's possibly a mistake...

Fox Sports have him listed as missing 19 tackles...

Status
Not open for further replies.