• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Can we have Cooper & O'Conner @10/12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I doubt it. It hasn't stopped him at an International level, and from memory he didn't even kick for his club team when he makes his off-season appearances. I'd say Cooper over Harris for kicking duties is merely as to not disrupt either of them from their game. Cooper has established the kicking duties for the Reds over the years, whereas Harris has only had a total of something like 6 kicks in Super rugby ever, and until recently was not a guaranteed starter. Let Harris worry about his own game in his rookie season, and let the relative veteran keep the duties. Next year once Harris has established himself more with the Reds, reevaluate and let him take over from 2012.

Possibly, but surely after kicking 6/6 (or thereabouts) so far Harris is the better kicker.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Firstly, don't know where this idea came from that O'Connor is a liability in defense. He is a solid defender.

secondly, disagree with those supporters who think the Wallabies should be going with the biggest centres they can muster simply because some other countries have imposing centre combinations. We should play to our strengths. players like Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale are a point of difference for us.

Coopers tackling is definitely a weakness but apart from a poor game against the canes, it hasn't stopped him from steering the Reds to consistent wins.

Deans backline for the World Cup IMO will be

10 - Cooper
11 - O'Connor
12 - Barnes/Giteau
13 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Fainga'a
14 - Ioane
15 - Beale

This is essentially the same backline that Deans used against france, however Ioane will take mitchell's position for the time being.

Mitchell will definitely be in the WC squad. apparently his recovery is ahead of schedule and Deans knows he is one of the worlds best wingers. he'll allow him to play into form. If mitchell is fit, then there might be scope to move O'Connor closer to the action.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not in great form but he has always played best at international level.

I just think that with Barnes and Gits we already have two guys with years of experience playing inside centre at test level, both top quality. O'Connor can always shift in later in the game if we are looking for extra attacking spark, but if there is one thing our backline is not lacking it's attacking spark.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I kinda like the idea of Fainga'a in the backline. He's tough as nails and solid in defense. I imagine he'd happily put his well being aside and play a kamikaze role at the world cup if deans asked him to.

T

tranquility

brilliant argument there Slim, as we've come to expect from you. So thoughtful, so erudite, so insightful.

I value your contribution to the board.

Good word! I would be happy to have Ant in my centers any day of the week. Yes, he is better than Tom Carter.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The form Aus Outside Centre, in the form and top placed Aus Super team; I'm gonna say there is a chance.

He's in a competition with...?

He's doing a decent job slotting into the position to make way for Harris in the starting lineup but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire either...

I think he was in much better form last year at inside centre...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
He's in a competition with...?

Exactly! And you still don't think he has a chance?

He's doing a decent job slotting into the position to make way for Harris in the starting lineup but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire either...

Fainga'a is clearly their first choice centre, in either position. If that isn't obviously then I think you need to go back and watch a couple of the Reds games this year.

Anyway, speaking of O'Connor and Fainga'a, here's an article reported earlier today. Looks like O'Connor is finally set to decide on his future this week. http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8247208

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Despite AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being dumped on the wing I would rather have him at outside centre and Deans is still likely to play him as well...

If Horne is fit he'll also play ahead of him...

I also get the feeling that while Ioane will be picked for the wing he'll be used as another backup for the position...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We will all know if Fainga actually has a chance after the Blues and Saders games coming up. If he goes well IMO he should definitely be in with a chance!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We are screwed completely if the the best Wallaby 13 we can come up with is Fainga'a

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Many have been saying that we're only allowed to pick excellent defensive players and must only consider attack after this. Surely this people would select Fainga'a if Horne isn't fit - He can shore up a defensive line from 12 or 13 remarkably well.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
If Tom Carter isn't seen as good enough to be a Wallaby, then I don't see why a player in Anthony Fainga'a, who really is quite similar in ability, should be selected for the Wallabies (I don't think either are good enough to be honest).
Both are solid in defense, bend but don't break the line often, work hard off the ball, but lack pace (this was exploited by the All Blacks in Fainga'a's solitary test against them if I remember correctly).
Solid, dependable Super Rugby players - nothing more, nothing less. Only difference is, each plays for a different favoured team of some posters, and some people see the need to promote Fainga'a especially (I cannot remember anyone suggesting Carter) to a level of rugby that I think he isn't ready for and might not ever be.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Many have been saying that we're only allowed to pick excellent defensive players and must only consider attack after this. Surely this people would select Fainga'a if Horne isn't fit - He can shore up a defensive line from 12 or 13 remarkably well.

In my opinion the list of 13s would be

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Iaone

Cummins/McCabe/Inman

Fainga'a
Delit/Kingston
Cross

All the players above Fainga'a in my pecking order are quality defenders and some threat in attack

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We are screwed completely if the the best Wallaby 13 we can come up with is Fainga'a

Out of the current starting 13s in the oz super teams - who is obviously better? At the moment it looks like our 13 will be picked from someone not playing 13, which in itself is a concern.

Brumbies, sort your shit out and put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back at 13. And, please keep Giteau at 12. Stop changing back and forth.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In my opinion the list of 13s would be

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Iaone

Cummins/McCabe/Inman

Fainga'a
Delit/Kingston
Cross

All the players above Fainga'a in my pecking order are quality defenders and some threat in attack

Exactly. Out of the 6 guys you have ahead of him, 2 are injured and the other 4 are playing wing or fullback.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They are still all better suited to being a test match 13, no matter where they are playing in the S15.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was stuck on the wing for the ponies most of last year as well, but he was still the best option for 13 for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.