• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Can we have Cooper & O'Conner @10/12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have to agree im an still more concerned about 13. Id be happy with either JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes, Gits at 12 as they all have valid arguements. JOC (James O'Connor)'s attack, Barnes defence, Gits is in better form this year and has load of experience. Even if all 3 were injured i wouldnt be disappointed seeing Fainga as wallaby 12. I am far more worried about 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Which of our centers are bad defenders exactly? JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes and Gits are all good enough in this regard.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
The argument for having two big centers seems to be, for the most part, that other countries have them. I don't think being B- versions of other countries is going to get us anywhere when we've got such promising points of difference in our smaller backs.

agreed
we must play to our strengths if we are going to be a chance
what has brought us glory in the past is being smarter than our opposition> not trying to beat them at their own game> the kiwis and saffas are naturally bigger anyways> u wont win that battle- lucky we are naturally smarter hehehe

A

Alex-A

It was surely a tactical decision to have JOC (James O'Connor) defend at fullback against the Tahs because they want their best runner to get as much ball as possible. The force could safely predict that Berrick was gonna kick it deep all day long.
If JOC (James O'Connor) was at 12 for the Wallabies (and I hope he is) then he wont drop back because his defense is good enough to not need hiding. QC (Quade Cooper) on the other hand NEEDS to be shifted back, which then begs the question what will happen to Kurtley? do Quade and Kurtley stay at the back together? They could have a pretty effective partnership for kick returns, and they both have a good boot on them if necessary.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
KB (Kurtley Beale)'s defence has improved quite a bit I think. His covering tackles at fullback in the last 12 months have been fairly effective.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Which of our centers are bad defenders exactly? JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes and Gits are all good enough in this regard.

JOC (James O'Connor) is the worst of the lot. He can make some good tackles but then he also makes poor decisions in defence. Barnes and Gits are solid but lack the ability the make a dominant tackle. An almost essential quality of a #12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The bottom line is that Gits and Barnes have been great servants of Australian rugby in the past but have most often failed at the last hurdle (the AB). They need to pass on the baton to the younger generation. JOC (James O'Connor) is now ready.
Sure they(Gits & Barnes) need to be in the squad and most likely one needs to be in each 22 picked this year, but we no longer are in the position of having a single playmaker in the squad and praying week in and out that they remain fit, as was the case with Larkham and then Gits after him.
Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale need to be in prominent positions from where they can be highly involved in the Wallaby play. They have to be 10, 12 and 15 respectively. JOCs defense is very sound.
The big question is who should be running off Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) at 13.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I never thought I would say this after Giteau's performances last year BUT; I think his form for the Brumbies in 2011 has been exceptional and I would have him as our starting 12 in the world cup.

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Giteau
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

Res:
Morahan
Mortlock
Burgess

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can't help thinking that Mortlock still has something to offer for the Wallabies, even if it is only for the first 50-60 minutes. I see him more as a 12 than 13 now, but he is so good at leading the Rebels defense and that is what we need for the wallabies.

How about:

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Mortlock
13 JOC (James O'Connor) or Giteau
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Morahan
15 Beale

I am sure that JOC (James O'Connor) and Gits could also play 13, and Morts would be a great leading hand between the inexperience of Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor).

Or

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Mortlock
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

Gits on the bench to sub in for Morts when he gets stuffed. Or Morahan on the bench to sub for JOC (James O'Connor) who moves in for Morts.

We don't need a ball playing 12 when Cooper is our flyhalf and Beale is our fullback. There is enough passing ability in those two to get the ball to the wings whenever required.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I still think one of the real highlights of last year for OZ was the combination of Beale and Rabbit in the back 3. They seemed to feed off each other in counter attack opportunities and cover the back very well. Both have good boots as well.

I'd think from a coaching perspective it would be tough to break up that sort of combination that brought quite a bit of success.

I still think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the one guy that will really help the defensive pattern at 12.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The real question is: who is the winger that is going to put his hand up to claim the number 14 jersey? I think Ioane is a shoe-in for one spot, but not sure on the other spot yet. This will determine whether O'Connor plays wing or inside centre.

What I'm worried about with Barnes is that there might be too many generals in the back line cramping Quade's style.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The real question is: who is the winger that is going to put his hand up to claim the number 14 jersey? I think Ioane is a shoe-in for one spot, but not sure on the other spot yet. This will determine whether O'Connor plays wing or inside centre.

What I'm worried about with Barnes is that there might be too many generals in the back line cramping Quade's style.

I think Quade would be given the reigns in attack, but the 12 will be a defensive leader. Barnes and Giteau fit the bill in that respect.

Giteau could be a perfect fit if his new found form sticks; defensive organiser, attacking threat, and an experienced head to curb Cooper's occasionally craziness (hate to bring it up again, but the late cross-field kick against the Canes as an example).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Reddy, Barnes and Cooper played together last year and it gelled nicely. If Berrick is OK health wise, I'd be happy to see him at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. JOC (James O'Connor) should be kicking too.

B

bgsreppin

Mate your on some serious stuff if you still have mortlock in the mix at starting twelve. The man is way past it

my suggestion

9 Genia
10 Quade
11 Ionae
12 Giteau
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
In the World Cup you cannot hide QC (Quade Cooper) in the defensive line the 12 needs to be the best defensive player available for that role. That for my mind is Barnes. Giteau's defense is stronger than JOC (James O'Connor) but Barnes is ahead of them both in this department.

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Barnes
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

I think the following three players should all be in the squad as well as the obvious names.
Mortlock still playing well and while he has lost something in attack he has lost nothing in defense.
Turner pace to spare and just does not make mistakes.
Gerrard still has the best boot in Australia and against Northern Hemisphere teams field position is critical.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So its pretty safe to say the backline will be:
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. ? / JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (poor form but their is no-one else)
14. ? / JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

So it pretty much comes down too who would you rather pick? Giteau, Barnes, Turner, Mortlock and to a lesser extent A.Fainga, Morahan, Davies, McCabe, Cummins. Realistically Gits and Barnes are the best option (experienced and playing decent enough), which only means JOC (James O'Connor) is on the wing. Unless Mitchell makes a recovery then we have a completely different story.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)

Excellent point Reddy. In some ways Barnes leaving the Reds was a good thing as he sort of cramped Quade's style. I think that is one reason why Cooper still kicks, and not Harris, in that Cooper has an ego and it actually pays to feed his ego and make him feel he is in complete control. Says a lot about Genia that he works so well with Cooper.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Excellent point Reddy. In some ways Barnes leaving the Reds was a good thing as he sort of cramped Quade's style. I think that is one reason why Cooper still kicks, and not Harris, in that Cooper has an ego and it actually pays to feed his ego and make him feel he is in complete control. Says a lot about Genia that he works so well with Cooper.

I doubt it. It hasn't stopped him at an International level, and from memory he didn't even kick for his club team when he makes his off-season appearances. I'd say Cooper over Harris for kicking duties is merely as to not disrupt either of them from their game. Cooper has established the kicking duties for the Reds over the years, whereas Harris has only had a total of something like 6 kicks in Super rugby ever, and until recently was not a guaranteed starter. Let Harris worry about his own game in his rookie season, and let the relative veteran keep the duties. Next year once Harris has established himself more with the Reds, reevaluate and let him take over from 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.