• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Can we have Cooper & O'Conner @10/12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I would be disappointed if we did not see this combination tried as the first choice pairing for the tri nations.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have to say I feel the combination of Delit and JOC (James O'Connor) was as good at containing SBW and Fruen as the much more heralded combo of DeVilliers and Fourie.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s tackle technique is very very good. Last year I was highly critical of playing him the wing because he was getting caught out of position so often which directly led to a number of tries. It was never about his tackle technique or is application which is a damn sight better than some forwards that can be named. I detest the "two player maker" set up but name a 12 in Oz who is playing better than JOC (James O'Connor) at the moment.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
De Villiers and Fourie also went through SBW and Freuan more than any other centre combo, why?

Size (well power from size+speed)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
De Villiers and Fourie also went through SBW and Freuan more than any other centre combo, why?

Size (well power from size+speed)

Also a decent supply of front foot ball helped. Show me a side that has got that as much as the Stormers did. Don't get me wrong, JDV and Fourie are IMO one of the best centre pairings in the world, but this debate started by criticising JOC (James O'Connor) for not being able to handle SBW in defence and now he is unable to attack effectively? WTF.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Never suggested Carter. I am very worried about the Wallabies centres. I don't rate any of them atm. The Kiwis and Saffers are miles ahead of us in that position currently.

Fair point. I still think JOC (James O'Connor) can excel at test level at 12. 13 is more of a concern for us.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Never suggested Carter. I am very worried about the Wallabies centres. I don't rate any of them atm. The Kiwis and Saffers are miles ahead of us in that position currently.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) last year was one of the best 13s in the business. ANd I think when he gets back into the Wallaby setup as opposed to the Brumbies then he will be back to his best. And JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau and Barnes are all very capable at 12. I think any of those three will be up to standard. Centre isnt my concern, its the front and second row. If Sharpe or fatcat go down, its a big step down.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Who's the hard hitting defender we're exchanging into 10 for QC (Quade Cooper) anyway - Kurtley?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Who's the hard hitting defender we're exchanging into 10 for QC (Quade Cooper) anyway - Kurtley?

Whoever replaces QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't have to be a hard-hitter....they just have to realise that they can't play touch footy on both offense AND defense.....

T

tranquility

Hopefully, then Deans will realise what a disaster it would be in the WC.

Spoken like a true waratah supporter. Maybe we should play Tom Carter at 10? you gotta have good defense to win the world cup.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hopefully, then Deans will realise what a disaster it would be in the WC.

And who are these big powerful to fill those positions? Is there anyone in Australia playing better at 12 than JOC (James O'Connor) right now? The other thing is if you have two block busting centres, who will pass the ball?

The theoretical options at 13 would be (i.e. blokes who are playing OC now or have done so recently):

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Morts
A. Finger
Chambers
Gerrard
Ioane
Dellitt

Not many of those blokes have any kind of effective passing game. We even had a crack at AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (the best performed centre in Australia over the last couple of seasons) for not passing enough last year and he was one of the better ones.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And who are these big powerful to fill those positions? Is there anyone in Australia playing better at 12 than JOC (James O'Connor) right now? The other thing is if you have two block busting centres, who will pass the ball?

I really don't know. Like I said I'm worried about our centres. All I do know is that our backline should be built on it's defense and not attack. Pick the blokes who can defend first, then pick the best attackers from that lot. This is a WC we're trying to win, not a Super rugby game. Majority of the points in WC games are scored from penalty goals, not tries. Backs need strong defense. I'm going to be pissed off when Quade concedes the winning try from a shocking attempt of a tackle.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I really don't know. Like I said I'm worried about our centres. All I do know is that our backline should be built on it's defense and not attack. Pick the blokes who can defend first, then pick the best attackers from that lot. This is a WC we're trying to win, not a Super rugby game. Majority of the points in WC games are scored from penalty goals, not tries. Backs need strong defense. I'm going to be pissed off when Quade concedes the winning try from a shocking attempt of a tackle.

I will be rejoicing when he executes a 20 m in goal kick pass to Ioane to run in for a 100m try to clinch the wc (surely it will work on the second attempt).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Qwerty, I think your concerns are valid ones, but I guess you have to weigh it all up. Our attack is average without QC (Quade Cooper) and brilliant with it. Our defence in the midfield is greatly improved by Berrick at 12, but then again JOC (James O'Connor) has been good there this year too and is devastating on attack from that close to the ruck. Our problem area is OC and that's only because AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form has been a concern. Our goalkicking has lost us games in the last couple of years too and to be honest, I'm probably a bit more concerned about that in the knockout stages.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Qwerty, I think your concerns are valid ones, but I guess you have to weigh it all up. Our attack is average without QC (Quade Cooper) and brilliant with it. Our defence in the midfield is greatly improved by Berrick at 12, but then again JOC (James O'Connor) has been good there this year too and is devastating on attack from that close to the ruck. Our problem area is OC and that's only because AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form has been a concern. Our goalkicking has lost us games in the last couple of years too and to be honest, I'm probably a bit more concerned about that in the knockout stages.

As you suggest, JOC (James O'Connor) addresses the goal kicking problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.