• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Can we have Cooper & O'Conner @10/12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This weekend we had two of our real attacking threats hidden in defence by their respective teams.

Cooper was, as usual, pushed back to 15 or to the blind side wing in defence but what I hadn't realised was JOC (James O'Connor) was receiving the same treatment from the Force.

Aus to me, Aus can't carry both these guys in those spots.

G

GC

Sorry, don't buy it.

Are they being hidden in defence or is it better to have a combined runner, ball distributer and good kicker at the back? Changed rule interpretations this year mean more kicks from the oppn backs to around the 22. They have more space too as the interpretations are preventing oppn forwards moving forward until the kicker has come through. Having someone with all options means game plans like the Bulls' aren't effective.

Only the coaches know why they do it, but I very much doubt it's to solely to hide players in defence. In Cooper's case, defensive deficiencies would play some role; in JOC (James O'Connor)'s, not so much.

Anyways, I doubt JOC (James O'Connor) will be 12 anyway. Gits will be, with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Robbie Deans would be silly not to go with a 10/12 combination of Quade Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor). Quade Cooper is your best first five. So it's a no-brainer that he wears 10. And JOC (James O'Connor) has shown that he is the best Australian no.12. And as you correctly point out, he is wasted at fullback where the play can bypass him. As an All Black fan a Cooper/O'Conner combination would scare the hell out of me. And I don't think for one minute that they are too small a duo to be combined. Merthens and Mauger were a very successful 10/12 duo. JOC (James O'Connor) may be small, but I can't remember the last time he missed a front on tackle, or was beaten for pace on his outside.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I don't buy it either. O'Connor isn't a defensive liability, look at how he fronted up to Sonny Bill only a week ago and how he has defended for the season so far. It seemed more of a more strategic move than an effort to hide him from the front line. His goal kicking will definitely increase his chances of getting the 12 jumper too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Mitchell wasn't injured a Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) combination would be a no brainer...

However, with Mitchell unlikely to make the RWC JOC (James O'Connor) could get pushed out to the wing and Giteau come into inside centre...

That doesn't concern me too much as Giteau has actually been playing really well at 12 this year...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't buy it either. O'Connor isn't a defensive liability, look at how he fronted up to Sonny Bill only a week ago and how he has defended for the season so far. It seemed more of a more strategic move than an effort to hide him from the front line. His goal kicking will definitely increase his chances of getting the 12 jumper too.

If he isn't deemed a defensive liability by the Force, why is he being pushed off to the wing

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didn't watch last night's game (tahs v force) but the week before I was very pleased with JOC (James O'Connor) in defensive & felt confident that he could step up for the Wallabies at inside centre.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He wasn't pushed to 15 in any previous games FP. Have a look at what happened in this game before you make the decision he is being hidden away.

The specific change in this game was that Shepherd was out that left only one of the back three who could kick somewhat OK in Dellit and even he isn't really a noted long kicker of the ball. Smith is a poor kicker and Cummins not much better. Therefore if you expected a kick (and that is about all the Tahs do) you need to drop somebody back who can kick as well as run the ball back. I thought it was a good tactic myself.

The Cooper case is totally different with him really being hidden and the opposition trying to get power runners at him at every turn. The Blues game will be intriguing because how can he hide on a wing against Ranger and Rocks?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
If he isn't deemed a defensive liability by the Force, why is he being pushed off to the wing

The game was a kick-a-thon, as another poster noted, there was a kick every 26secs where the ball was in play. For the Force back 3, all of Cummins, Dellit and Smith are not noted kickers. The Force needed to move O'Connor to accommodate and to get into a position to receive the ball to either develop a counter or to clear the ball for field position taking up the kicking duties in Shepard's absence.

Edit- Teaches me to get distracted by the TV while posting, Gnostic beat me to it above.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
SBWvsJOC? I don't think so.

I reckon that if Wayne Bennett has a say, he will be looking for the two biggest centres in Australia for the world cup.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I reckon that if Wayne Bennett has a say, he will be looking for the two biggest centres in Australia for the world cup.

Well, he would get confused because 12 and 13 are reserved for backrowers in rugby league...

Thankfully he is not a rugby union coach or selector...

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

And why would Wayne Bennett have a say? He might be invited to have an inspiring chat but I doubt very much that he will be asked on his opinion on the team make up.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Based on the way they are currently being used, perhaps Cooper and O'Connor could stand together at the back and hold hands when the Wallabies are defending.

Just trying to be helpful.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
The argument for having two big centers seems to be, for the most part, that other countries have them. I don't think being B- versions of other countries is going to get us anywhere when we've got such promising points of difference in our smaller backs.

Absolutely top post. Agree 100%.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was disappointed in JOC (James O'Connor) last night.; he never fired a shot. maybe that was tactics but if so, they were poor. The force never looked like scoring a try and the one player who could have have opened things up for them was being kept away from the ball by his own team WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.