• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bulls v Rebels Round 2 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think keeping Reid as a finisher in this game is a good idea, Rettallick on the bench also, for some much needed smarts at the end. Snowden, Hawkins (who looked OK in his cameo against the Force, much better than against Samoan XV) and probably Asquith as reserve backs. Matushima has the size requirement of a TT back though.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Glad we have all that back row depth now.

Thought Jordy had a good game and would be a bit harsh to drop him. At the same time would like to see Jones given some time at 6 and bring in an extra jumper.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't get why so many want to see Jones & Timani in the backrow. Sure they have the right physiques for a decent 6 & 8 but, IMO both these guys are simply not athletic and or skillful enough to fulfill the roles of those spots. Timani is simply not quick enough nor does he possess the ball skills to be an effective No.8. Likewise, Jones simply does not have the pace to be the damaging ball runner/ nuisance at the breakdown you like a 6 to be.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Totally agree regarding Timani. Jones has always played his best rugby at 6 in my opinion, much more athletic than he's given credit for. It just doesn't show up the way McGahan seems to want his locks playing.

It is interesting to see how effective it's possible to be with only two jumpers though. Well, two and a half if you count McMahon. When was the last time we actual stole some lineout ball?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i don't have a lot of love for either timani or jones playing regularly in the back row, but we are down to the last three fit back row forwards and so needs as must. i also thought Jordy Reid was one of the Rebels best last Saturday, but for the balance of the side for this game this weekend, then he will imo suit the team needs better as a reserve rather than starting.
but we will see what TT and his brains trust come up with.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
If Fugs or maybe even Fox was fit, we wouldn't be discussing it, but with Colby down, needs must. I'd prefer to have one of Timani and Jones training all week in the Backrow rather than being forced into subbing both of them, or having one move back there with 15-30 minutes to go.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
For the 30 seconds of coverage that the Rebels got on Rugby 360 tonight Greg Martin talked about the Rebels V Sharks game this Saturday in SA.....how does that guy get the job of presenter/commentator??

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
you think the first time a producer would correct him. but, no. He does it. AGAIN!

Still, highlight of the night was Cheika's standout (breakthrough?) player - Rycee Hodge. Clearly they tried to line up a Tahs player because they had the footage cued for Dave Horwitz. but no, Cheika said 'FUCK YOU CONVENTION, I'M PICKING A REBEL!".

dru

David Wilson (68)
For the 30 seconds of coverage that the Rebels got on Rugby 360 tonight Greg Martin talked about the Rebels V Sharks game this Saturday in SA...how does that guy get the job of presenter/commentator??

Yep. I had to go back and check whether or not I had made a goose of myself on this thread. Not me, Marto. And his mate concurred with "Sharks are a good team" (or similar).

dru

David Wilson (68)
Kriel out, Bulls back line swaying into inexperience. Hattingh 50th on the weekend.

Reckon Rebels have a chance here, even with the i juries.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Ahh, good ol' Burger is back. Anyone remember his two disallowed tries from the last time he played us? Bet he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The team (with Super Rugby caps) is: Warrick Gelant (1), Travis Ismaiel (7), Jan Serfontein (37), Burger Odendaal (11), Bjorn Basson (87), Francois Brummer (6), Rudy Paige (22), Arno Botha (34), Jannes Kirsten (1), Nic de Jager (1), Grant Hattingh (49), RG Snyman (1), Marcel van der Merwe (34), Adriaan Strauss (119, c), Trevor Nyakane (59). Replacements: Jaco Visagie (4), Lizo Gqoboka (1), Hencus van Wyk (2), Jason Jenkins (1), Roelof Smit (4), Piet van Zyl (55), Tian Schoeman (8), Dries Swanepoel (0).

dru

David Wilson (68)
Take care with getting dismissive regarding cap numbers. The starting front row are capped Boks. Most of the "youngsters" have been part of the broader Bulls squad for some time, playing with the Blou Bulle. Certainly Currie Cup is not Super Rugby standard (Southern Kings shows this) but coach and youngsters have come through together with well formed partnerships.

Bulls are there to be taken, but not if taken lightly.

Reactions: Tex

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Cap numbers were just part of the copy. If I found it in list form I would have copied that.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Looking at the team sheet, the first reaction I have is "who the heck are these people?"

This is the most inexperienced Bulls side ion at least ten years. They will struggle a bit but still be hard to beat at home.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking at the team sheet, the first reaction I have is "who the heck are these people?"

This is the most inexperienced Bulls side ion at least ten years. They will struggle a bit but still be hard to beat at home.

I agree they'll be tough but with the inexperience in the backline if the Rebels play field position and use their two long kickers they could well force an error or two. The key thing the Bulls have got is their very, very good front row. It will be a long day at the office for Smith and Co if they don't front up.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
FWIW, I'd go with Jones at 6, Reid to the bench and Cummins to start. It's less disruptive than moving Lopetti to 8 and Thomson to 6, Jordy to come on as the back row "finisher".

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I agree they'll be tough but with the inexperience in the backline if the Rebels play field position and use their two long kickers they could well force an error or two. The key thing the Bulls have got is their very, very good front row. It will be a long day at the office for Smith and Co if they don't front up.

Hopefully Jack D and Hodge stick to kicking for field position and don't get too carried away trying to see how far they can kick at altitude. Hodge put a couple out on the full last week and Jack often misfires when he tries to bite off a bit too much.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Steve Cummins
6. Adam Thomson
7. Sean McMahon (captain)
8. Lopeti Timani
9. Ben Meehan
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Reece Hodge

Reserves
16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah Nau
18. Jamie Hagan
19. Sam Jeffries
20. Jordy Reid
21. Mick Snowden
22. Jonah Placid
23. Dan Hawkins

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This is a fantastic opportunity for the Rebels to break their drought in SA. That's a very good side with consistency in selections and some excellent bench cover. Up against a very inexperienced Bulls' side, the Rebels should have a comfortable win.

Status
Not open for further replies.