• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bulls v Rebels Round 2 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Rebels gritted their teeth and got home over the Force in the face of some pretty horrible circumstances.

The Bulls got a touch up from the Stormers.

Rebels are yet to win away in Africa and are carrying a few injury and sickness concerns.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
If Debreczeni comes back, bring Placid to fullback, Hodge on the wing? Or do you put Hodge at fullback and spend 80 minutes kicking the shit out of the ball?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
If Debreczeni comes back, bring Placid to fullback, Hodge on the wing? Or do you put Hodge at fullback and spend 80 minutes kicking the shit out of the ball?

I thought he was going to take a coat of paint off the ball at few stages on the weekend. Mr Hodge has a decent boot on him.

I'm in two minds as to whether you keep him at FB and start Engo (as per revised starting team on the weekend) or start Placid at FB and leave Hodge on the Wing. Both would be good options IMO.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Placid just attracts injuries, doesn't he?

We're up in the rarefied high veld air - let Hodge rip on any penalty within 60m of the posts and kick the bastards to death.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the worst aspect of the Rebels game (Meehan aside) last Saturday was their field kicking. they looked best (as they always have) when they kept the ball in hand and played to their patterns. i would keep Hodge on the wing and English on the bench and play Placid.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
We're a big team. We're not going to lose the ball in contact. If one of Hodgey or Jacky D is in a good position, or we need to clear now, sure, but Ellison, Shipperley, Engo, Inman can just keep feet away from ball.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Its at the Bulls on the high veldt. Putting Hodge at 15 and telling him to kick is a no-brainer. Do you reckon the Bulls will run it back? Never in a million years, never in a thousand tears!

But instructions have to come down to Ellison to never ever kick. His field kicking was diabolical and his running/passing game was sweet.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Magic happens when Ellison straightens the line at 13. He's got a beautiful short passing game and draws a defender really well.

Hopefully Jack pulls up ok after the marathon flight. Having two big boots is always a good contingency, even if the first preference is to run it back with a bit of voodoo.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Its at the Bulls on the high veldt. Putting Hodge at 15 and telling him to kick is a no-brainer. Do you reckon the Bulls will run it back? Never in a million years, never in a thousand tears!

But instructions have to come down to Ellison to never ever kick. His field kicking was diabolical and his running/passing game was sweet.

The Bulls under Marais have a mandate for ball in hand rugby. Last season in the Currie Cup this reportedly impressed much of the time, albeit they had a habit of falling back to the conservative when under pressure.

Coach Marais has brought a large number of youngsters from Currie Cup, U20 etc. it's a rebuild year. I would see the lack of experience in the Bulls locks and loosies as a target. How good is the Rebels LO?

Bulls front row look like beasts to me, but the scrum will be hampered in the second and back rows. Reportedly did not scrum well last weekend. (Im yet to watch that game).

At the same time, Bulls will fancy their finals chances (Saffer conference is not strong). They play the "weaker" Aussie conference and a game like this at home will be seen as a must win.

If the Rebels can get the better of the set piece, kick the leather off the ball with accuracy, they have a chance at stressing the Bulls back to a conservative game. This could lead to broken combinations. As long as the Rebels fitness holds for the last 20, at altitude, this could be an interesting game. Bench will be key.

I'll be backing the Bulls here as they are "my African team" this season. But I wont be at all disappointed in a fine performance by the Rebels. May the best team win.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

It works in theory. In practice Hodge put two out on the full against the Force at sea level, and Debreczeni doesn't have fantastic control either. Hopefully they put in the hours when they get to the veld.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Screw out on the fulls. Drop goals from 60m, as long as solid contact is made, worst case scenario is that they run in back from deep in their own half.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
No worse case scenario is the ball goes dead in goal and we start with a Buils scrum from where the ball was kicked.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Pretty sure you can't go to scrum from a drop goal attempt. Either that or I've been taught wrong my whole life.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
cavalry on the way

"Rebels new recruit Kotaro Matsushima, who arrived in Melbourne for the first time on Thursday afternoon, along with Culum Retallick and Paul Asquith, will travel to Johannesburg and join the team in South Africa ahead of Round Two against the Bulls."

so a potential rejig of the back row, Cummins and Jones/Timani locks, Retallick or Jeffries reserve lock. Jones/Timani as back row, Jones at 6 or Timani 8 and Thomson 6, Reid on to bench to cover 6, 7, 8. or a combination of the above.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Personally I'd like:
4. Retallick
5. Timani
6. Jones
7. McMahon
8. Thomson

18. Cummins
19 Reid

We have excellent coverage off the bench with Jordy able to play both blind and open. I feel I'm a bit hard on Jordy, but I think it's for the greater good of the team. Jones is more than capable at 6 and Thomson is the logical 8 choice. I just think Retallick's a better all round lock over Cummins, love his offload game.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'd go unchanged from last week, with both Jeffries & Cummins on the bench. No need for Retallick IMO

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I agree OT, but I think Cummo should start. He's been closer to the starting side across the Preseason and is a better lineout operator.

Besides, with Fuglistaller, Fainga’a, Stirzaker and Harris all out, there's very little experience on the bench, he'd be a nice player to bring on.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I agree OT, but I think Cummo should start. He's been closer to the starting side across the Preseason and is a better lineout operator.

Yeh, I'd have to agree there. Cummins has been starting more matches in pre-season, so clearly TT and the Coaches are backing him at this point. Still, think a lost opportunity with Retallick. Can't really compare the two as I haven't seen a lot of jumping from Retailliack. I didn't think Cummis was a worldbeater jumper throughout the NRC, but that could have been related to the thrower at the time. I remember watching a few when the Rising played the Rams and there were a few horrible attempts to catch the pill.

Besides, with Fuglistaller, Fainga’a, Stirzaker and Harris all out, there's very little experience on the bench, he'd be a nice player to bring on.

Yep, depth will be handy of the bench against a somewhat green, but wounded Bulls team.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd have no problem with Jones at 6, or with Timani sliding straight out. Especially if we're going to be kicking, three actual lineout jumpers makes a big difference. Worth remembering that McMahon had a seriously hard day at the office on Friday, wonder if he might not play the full 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.