• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Lions, 7:45pm Fri May 12 - GIO Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbrando

Bob McCowan (2)
I will always be brumbies fan but that was hard to watch. The inability to turn pressure into points in the first half and two stray passes by the full back...

I had some hope after the brumbies dismantled the reds but nothing since. We will limp to the finals (I think) but it will be a hollow achievement.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
This may well be the last time I post.

That was disappointing no doubt, but I'm not sure that I can continue to endure the constant heavy hitting negativity of the supposed 'die hard' criticism from those who would be fans.

Most posters had relegated the Brumbies to conference wooden spooners before the season started. The fact that they still lead the Aussie conference is more an indictment on other Aussie teams rather than their own performance.

One game aside, each one they have lost has yielded a bonus point.

Raspberries to all you pricks who continue to throw barbs at a team and coach who you wrote off anyway.

Rant over... see ya

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
It really hard to be anything when you have a 12 that provides nothing, is past it and should never have been recruited, a 13 that has become such a one dimensional one trick pony that his predictably is ridiculous (but that stem from the way he is used), a 15 that should never be on a Super Rugby field except to run water, a winger who is better at centre of full back but is not to shabby as we don't have any better options, and a cumbersome second row with Carter and Butler not offering much and just slow.

There were multiple phases where where the structure was brilliant but the whole Brumbies line was static as Powell was passing the ball.

Larkham is playing players due to either favouritism, sentimentality, wishful thinking or complete incompetence.

Right now if there was a choice between the Larkham and the Georgian backs coach I would go with the I would go with the latter as it least it better than the repetitive rubbish that is being served up game after game.

Congratulations to Rhino Ryan for getting the defence sorted. Maybe he should be HC as he appears to have a clue what going on and what to do.

I feel sorry for Hawera. He is a good distributor and creative player that has had everything good stifled by over structured rubbish by a coach that doesn't not get attacking or unstructured rugby whatsoever.
you are a prolific poster and I respect your right to comment. Were you once at this level?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This may well be the last time I post.

That was disappointing no doubt, but I'm not sure that I can continue to endure the constant heavy hitting negativity of the supposed 'die hard' criticism from those who would be fans.

Most posters had relegated the Brumbies to conference wooden spooners before the season started. The fact that they still lead the Aussie conference is more an indictment on other Aussie teams rather than their own performance.

One game aside, each one they have lost has yielded a bonus point.

Raspberries to all you pricks who continue to throw barbs at a team and coach who you wrote off anyway.

Rant over. see ya

I apologise it I have contributed to the way you feel, but some of the comments from supporters emanate from frustration and disappointment that a bunch of good players are being let down by a few; and some of those maybe should have moved on for the befit of the team.
Most who make comments here (who are supporters) are not attacking the team, rather attacking the issues that are dragging down and hurting the team that they support and feel unhappy with the currant state of affairs. It not unusual for people to vent on here and be at the game the next weekend supporting the team.

You also need to consider that some of the comments are factual and people are calling it the way they see it.

Most here will have seen me (we) make similar comments before about the issues with the team; in fact right back to the pre-season. I am happy to eat humble pie anytime for my team, but alas its not the case atm based on the evidence this season.

I ask that you also may want to consider that passionate supporters will be passionate in their comments and views because they are passionate about their team.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Fardy having a brow-furrowed roar at the ref after every single whistle blast is not a flash look.

STUPID BRUMBIES.

You had ONE THING you had to do.

ONE THING.

Now the eventual bedraggled NZ conf winners, after masticating upon each other’s bovine extremities for a few more rounds, will have to traipse over to Bokkeland for playoff matchess while the Lions get to now return back to their Lilliputian conference and a casual awfternoon canter past the Kings, Sunwolves etc en route to a gifted top seed berth without having to play a single fucking NZ team all season WFT HAPPENED TO THIS COMPETITION.

I think that whole Brumbies team must be virgins. Not one of those drongos could score in a brothel, even with 15 strap-ons strapped all over their bodies.

Lions remaining fixtures:

Bulls at home
Kings at home
Sunwolves at home
Sharks away

Crusaders remaining fixtures:

Hurricanes at home
Chiefs in Suva
Rebels away
Highlanders at home
Hurricanes away

So, yeah, hard to see Crusaders not dropping at least one & as many as three of those to finish at best second overall. That said, if they have to travel to SA for the GF having played home QF & SF, I'd rate them a better than even chance of doing it. Same goes for the Hurricanes who I still think will be the top NZ side (& yes, my flight to Pitcairn leaves shortly, pretty sure I can make it to the airport without these guys catching up with me)

IMG_0714.JPG

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Most of my pals and I had a feeling the Lions would lose this one so I am glad they did not.

Yes, the Lions have not played a kiwi side but you cannot lay the blame at them. You can only play what is in front of you. They have not played great rugby this season but you'd be hard-pressed to find many, if any, Saffa sides returning from Australia unbeaten in 3 matches.

It's not such a great achievement considering, but at the end of the day the history books will tell Lions 5 - 0 Australia.

Nobody seems to take into consideration that the Lions may very well lose a game or two, particularly against the Sharks who they barely got the better of by 5 pts at home.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I ask that you also may want to consider that passionate supporters will be passionate in their comments and views because they are passionate about their team.
The thing is MST, while I'm happy for other passionate supporters to be passionate in their comments, and certainly respect what everyone else has to say, what @glass half full says is correct. The Brumbies had been written off before the season commenced. Were they expected to pull a first choice 10 out of their arse? Would you prefer that they didn't rotate players and have a massive injury toll like the Force and Rebels have had? Yeah some things frustrate the hell out of me, i.e. Toua, but FFS, these guys continually give it a good crack, and while admittedly they've come up short, only the Hurricanes have racked up big points against us.

It's all very well to say that people should consider the views of passionate supporters, however, you also need to realise that not all passionate supporters have the same view as you, and shouldn't be chided for expressing their opinions. Some of us just love watching our team.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Despite the farcical, almost unbelievable amount of serious incompetence, negligence, ludicrous legal fights, sacked CEOs, alleged illegalities, vast wasted financial resources, loss of good sponsors, all as induced or executed by the truly hapless, poorly governed ACTRU............

..........seriously, it's actually a credit to the strengths of the 2017 Brumbies rugby department that they can put out a quite competitive Super team that is (just) doing better than all other of the typically mismanaged Australian Super teams.

We often forget the horrendous state of the ACTRU board. It's self-centred delinquencies must have had many negative impacts upon the Brumbies rugby playing arm that would have been hard to work around and overcome.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
First up, well done to the Lions. They aren't as terrible as people are making out and doing pretty well in 2017 , were finalists in 2016 and have now beaten all Australian sides in 2017.

They barely had the ball and used their defence and a stroke of luck to win them that game. Brumbies were too side-to-side but when someone did find a gap (Powell for one) there just wasn't the support or a dropped ball in space (Fardy).

There were a few instances if there was support, no one was looking for support (Godwin on a few occasions).

I'm not sure what to do about flyhalf. Hawera stands too deep at times and defences like the Lions will just stand there and wait for you and then probably hold you up in the tackle.

This now makes the tour even more important.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I had been thinking that Toua could be tried at 10 to give Hawera a bit of a rest but his atrocious passing that directly led to last night's loss has put an end to that bit of cogitation. I really do think that Banks must come in to 15 to not only reduce the number of errors but to add a bit of spark to the attack as well.

Joe Powell again had an eye-opening performance last night. He has added a sniping/running aspect to his game and is consistently putting in performances that will see him in the Wallabies' squad this year.

Reactions: mst

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oz sides seem to have forgotten how to win games as brumbies had plenty of opportunities to win the game but poor execution and ball control at critical moments let them down.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
One errant pass that resulted in a try against the run of play certainly turned the game, but teams should bounce back from those things. The greater frustration was lost line outs at crucial times when there was good field position, and the number of times the Lions managed to turn over possession in the tackle.

I will also say that the tuning down of a gift three points at an early point in the game beggars belief. I think it is the fourth time the Brumbies have done it this season from memory. One resulted in a try and much high fiving and back slapping, three yielded no points and an eventual turnover of possession. The oft quoted cliche comes to mind, "take the points".

Reactions: mst

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Lions.

Even though they played terribly, they did enough to win.

Defence on the line was great and they got outa jail a few times.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It's all very well to say that people should consider the views of passionate supporters, however, you also need to realise that not all passionate supporters have the same view as you, and shouldn't be chided for expressing their opinions. Some of us just love watching our team.

:confused:??? . Righto.

I apologise it I have contributed to the way you feel......
Most here will have seen me (we) make similar comments before about the issues with the team; in fact right back to the pre-season. I am happy to eat humble pie anytime for my team, but alas its not the case atm based on the evidence this season.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not sure what to do about flyhalf. Hawera stands too deep at times and defences like the Lions will just stand there and wait for you and then probably hold you up in the tackle.

I thought was was playing a lot closer to the line (at the line) when he first arrived (pre-season games) and then in the first few rounds but has dropped deeper as has the whole line.

IIRC correctly it was one of the attributes Larkham lauded when they decided to signed him.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I thought was was playing a lot closer to the line (at the line) when he first arrived (pre-season games) and then in the first few rounds but has dropped deeper as has the whole line.

IIRC correctly it was one of the attributes Larkham lauded when they decided to signed him.
He was awful last night. Couldn't get the backs going

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.