• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Lions, 7:45pm Fri May 12 - GIO Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NTT

Godwin in between Hawera and TK just doesn't seem to suit the combination. More often than not Godwin was just running into 2 or 3 forwards isolated or just running sideways shoveling the ball. There was no real interplay between the 10, 12, 13 that was much more than starter play crash ball. No switches, cuts, loops, chips in behind, drifters plays, just a lot of easily tackled diagonal running.
Conversely, a lot of credit to the Lions defense. 3rd week of tour, most Saffer teams capitulate but the Lions hung tough and rode their defense to an important win. Whitely and Mostert were immense.

Reactions: mst

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some pretty staunch defence from the Lions in that final 10. Brumbies were going backwards and had no strategy to unlock it, create space or put the Lions under real pressure.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's encouraging to see the progress the Wallabies 'pre-anointed' next HC is making in his Super w-l ratios, attacking innovation and execution.

Him being the Wallabies Attack Coach and all.

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
So if the referee had asked for the review of the Dargaville disallowed try and said, "I thought it hit a boot at the back of the ruck before the half cleared it, can you find me any definitive evidence to suggest otherwise", the try would have been allowed?

Does the TMO get to make a judgement call when he chimes in?

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Fardy having a brow-furrowed roar at the ref after every single whistle blast is not a flash look.

STUPID BRUMBIES.

You had ONE THING you had to do.

ONE THING.

Now the eventual bedraggled NZ conf winners, after masticating upon each other’s bovine extremities for a few more rounds, will have to traipse over to Bokkeland for playoff matchess while the Lions get to now return back to their Lilliputian conference and a casual awfternoon canter past the Kings, Sunwolves etc en route to a gifted top seed berth without having to play a single fucking NZ team all season WFT HAPPENED TO THIS COMPETITION.

I think that whole Brumbies team must be virgins. Not one of those drongos could score in a brothel, even with 15 strap-ons strapped all over their bodies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's encouraging to see the progress the Wallabies 'pre-anointed' next HC is making in his Super w-l ratios, attacking innovation and execution.

Him being the Wallabies Attack Coach and all.

Some of that attack tonight was Foleyesque.

EDIT: And don't forget RH, there was some dew on the ground. And we know what that means for professional rugby players in Australia, don't we?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Some of that attack tonight was Foleyesque.

EDIT: And don't forget RH, there was some dew on the ground. And we know what that means for professional rugby players in Australia, don't we?

dew point
noun

1. the atmospheric temperature (varying according to pressure and humidity) below which water droplets begin to condense and dew can form.
  2. the point at which Australian rugby commentators start blaming the ineptitude of the players on a common and predictable event. Example - tonight the dew point was about 15 minutes before kick-off.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Godwin in between Hawera and TK just doesn't seem to suit the combination. More often than not Godwin was just running into 2 or 3 forwards isolated or just running sideways shoveling the ball. There was no real interplay between the 10, 12, 13 that was much more than starter play crash ball. No switches, cuts, loops, chips in behind, drifters plays, just a lot of easily tackled diagonal running.
Conversely, a lot of credit to the Lions defense. 3rd week of tour, most Saffer teams capitulate but the Lions hung tough and rode their defense to an important win. Whitely and Mostert were immense.
Brumby attack very poor tonight. TK walking into contact. None of the old backline flair.
Something very wrong at 10. Camnot fet the back going

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
dew point
noun

1. the atmospheric temperature (varying according to pressure and humidity) below which water droplets begin to condense and dew can form.
  2. the point at which Australian rugby commentators start blaming the ineptitude of the players on a common and predictable event. Example - tonight the dew point was about 15 minutes before kick-off.
Clark also said drought again about the lions winning something in a previous game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
dew point
noun

I think that this now forms part of the Foxtel commentators standard pre-game script.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
dew point
noun

Must be immediately lodged with the Australian English Standard Dictionary.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I just wonder if it has crossed either the collective or individual minds of super rugby coaches in Australia to have some training sessions at night? i.e. when there is dew on the ground.

Would this not be a prudent approach to a playing condition which is experienced in most games?

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oh my God. It just goes on and on and on. The Brumbies blew a chance to win that game as the Lions won't make that many mistakes again.
It's not that the Brumbies didn't give it all - I think they are seriously lacking between the ears. The back line relies on Kuridrani too much. There was zero creatvity (except from Toua when he gifts the ball to the opposition). Godwin was quite poor. He's fallen a long way since his early years at the Force. Toua is a goddamn nightmare. He's worse than Quade Cooper (at least Quade can do something brilliant to get back some of the points he leaks - maybe not this year). I usually would be happy with someone trying something different but he makes far too many stuoid mistakes.

The hassle from the Brumbies was good and forced the Lions into lots of mistakes but the attack is labored and stodgy.
The Lions defense was brilliant. How many times did they hold up the high Brumbies runners. Fantastic. Obviously something they train.

Good games from Speight and Powell and the 1st half front row.
Hawera is solid but that's it. He'll never win games for you. But I guess beggars can't be choosers - he's probably number 13 standoff in NZ. I was surprised he couldn't run down Kwagga Smith.

I am starting to believe what some others are saying. Larkham can't coach and this worries me now that he is moving into the Wallabies structure. Ok, he doesn't make the bone head mistakes but his team are predictable in attack. If they are not doing what he wants then he needs to get in people who will. If they are doing what he wants then that begs the question. Just because he was a great player doesn't mean he's a good coach (obviously I you say).

The Brumbies didn't make a huge number of mistakes. It's the timing of mistakes. Two early mistakes cost two tries (assuming Fardy would have got there). I am starting to wonder if they lack fitness. How players act under duress is usually a of fitness. This may be a problem across the board in Australian teams. I can't think of any other reason why Australian teams have dropped so much in just two years (No, it's not the grass roots thing that everyone goes on about. This is obviously a problem but it doesn't explain the massive gulf that has appeared in just the last two years)

Come on Aussie teams. END THIS NIGHTMARE !!!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am starting to believe what some others are saying. Larkham can't coach and this worries me now that he is moving into the Wallabies structure. Ok, he doesn't make the bone head mistakes but his team are predictable in attack. If they are not doing what he wants then he needs to get in people who will. If they are doing what he wants then that begs the question. Just because he was a great player doesn't mean he's a good coach (obviously I you say).

I think that we all need to accept that this paragraph is an accurate representation of the current ability of SL as an elite level coach.

It goes to everything that is wrong with Australian rugby. Short term decision-making and taking short cuts without a long-term strategy.

IMHO, no one should be appointed to coach at either super level or even state/national U20 level unless they have coached a first grade club team for a minimum of 2 years. It's proven time and again that the best players aren't necessarily the best coaches and that the best coaches work their way through the different levels. Coaching is more than knowing how the game runs. You've got to manage men, plan short-term, medium-term and long-term, you've got to be able to react to all sorts of situations at short notice. The ability to do these things comes from experience at having done them at lower levels where the pressure and intensity is less and mistakes can be made and learnt from. (I would also make a similar point in relation to players being funnelled straight from schoolboy rep teams into the professional game)

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I just wonder if it has crossed either the collective or individual minds of super rugby coaches in Australia to have some training sessions at night? i.e. when there is dew on the ground.

Would this not be a prudent approach to a playing condition which is experienced in most games?

Quick Hands do Aussie Super Rugby teams actually hold training sessions in any conditions. Wow it isn't obvious.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Hawera is solid but that's it. He'll never win games for you. But I guess beggars can't be choosers - he's probably number 13 standoff in NZ.

It really hard to be anything when you have a 12 that provides nothing, is past it and should never have been recruited, a 13 that has become such a one dimensional one trick pony that his predictably is ridiculous (but that stem from the way he is used), a 15 that should never be on a Super Rugby field except to run water, a winger who is better at centre of full back but is not to shabby as we don't have any better options, and a cumbersome second row with Carter and Butler not offering much and just slow.

There were multiple phases where where the structure was brilliant but the whole Brumbies line was static as Powell was passing the ball.

Larkham is playing players due to either favouritism, sentimentality, wishful thinking or complete incompetence.

Right now if there was a choice between the Larkham and the Georgian backs coach I would go with the I would go with the latter as it least it better than the repetitive rubbish that is being served up game after game.

Congratulations to Rhino Ryan for getting the defence sorted. Maybe he should be HC as he appears to have a clue what going on and what to do.

I feel sorry for Hawera. He is a good distributor and creative player that has had everything good stifled by over structured rubbish by a coach that doesn't not get attacking or unstructured rugby whatsoever.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I understand people wanting to pile hurt on the Brumbies, but they are the only side in the Aus conference that looks like being able to consistently put pressure on the NZ and top SA sides. Six bonus point losses now is a lot better record than any of the other franchises can boast.

I agree with the critical comments about Larkham, however, and have been saying those things now for a couple of years, as have quite a few other Brumbies' fans here. Just a little creativity and imagination in the attack would see them over the line in some of those close losses. Remember also that the side this year was being planned around Christian Lealiifano at No 10 before he was diagnosed with leukemia. Haweara was a last minute pick up, and is unfortunately one of the weaker links in the side atm.

Despite the lack of a threatening attack, I would still rather be a Brumby fan than any other at this stage of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.