• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I've had a theory for a while (which has probably been expressed by others elsewhere in this thread) that the Brumbies are a really good chance to beat the Lions this year, which would just be amazing to see.

They're a good team, without a stack of superstars who are going to be poached by the Wallabies, so the team to play the Lions could easily be something approaching the first-string Brumbies side (minus 2/3rds of the front row, which is admittedly a big loss). While the calibre of those remaining players won't be individually as high as the Lions mid-week side, the benefit of combinations should be enough to see them launch a very compelling challenge.

This latest signing almost seals the deal for me. I'm booking my tickets.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've had a theory for a while (which has probably been expressed by others elsewhere in this thread) that the Brumbies are a really good chance to beat the Lions this year, which would just be amazing to see.

They're a good team, without a stack of superstars who are going to be poached by the Wallabies, so the team to play the Lions could easily be something approaching the first-string Brumbies side (minus 2/3rds of the front row, which is admittedly a big loss). While the calibre of those remaining players won't be individually as high as the Lions mid-week side, the benefit of combinations should be enough to see them launch a very compelling challenge.

This latest signing almost seals the deal for me. I'm booking my tickets.

It's certainly possible but I think the Lions will be prepared for the Brumbies.

I think the Force or Rebels will probably be the more likely because the Lions will run a weaker line-up, probably not taper their training as much, etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that Deans will likely snub a lot of in form players for guys who were fit and available for the RC and EOYT last year......

Therefore I expect the Brumbies to field a near full strength lineup with the exception of Moore, Alexander, McCabe and maybe 1 or 2 others at most.........

P

Paradox

Possible Brumbies side V Lions:

1. Murphy/Sio
2. Siliva
3. Palmer (maybe)
4. Fardy
5. Carter
6. Kimlin
7. Smith/Fainga'a
8. Mowen
9. Prior
10. To'omua
11. Rathbone
12. Coleman
13. Smith
14. Speight
15. Mogg

Tomane, Alexander, Moore. McCabe, White, Lealiifano to Ws squad.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think that Deans will likely snub a lot of in form players for guys who were fit and available for the RC and EOYT last year..

Therefore I expect the Brumbies to field a near full strength lineup with the exception of Moore, Alexander, McCabe and maybe 1 or 2 others at most...
The great thing about the Brumbies is the next man up attitude. You saw it last year when To'omua was injured, then Lealiifano. You saw it when Mowen was injured. In fact, if there was a player out, you had a new player slot in quickly and effectively.

This makes the Brumbies the best suited to face the Lions. You could lose Alexander, Moore, Palmer, Fardy, Pocock, Kimlin, Mowen, White, To'omua, Lealiifano, McCabe, Tomane and Mogg to the Wallabies and while the ability of the team would drop slightly, you'd still have a good team on the field.

Imagine the Tahs lost Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Douglass, Dennis, Hooper, Palu, McKibbin, Barnes, Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell and Folau. Would you have high hopes for the team? Imagine the Reds without Holmes, Hanson, Slipper, Horwill, Quirk, Gill, Schatz, Genia, Cooper, Tapuai, Ioane and Harris. Do they still look strong?

The Brumbies are built to operate with or without the huge impact players because it is a team without stars. They will not be as good without the names I listed above, but they will be able to threaten any Australian team that had their big names, maybe even knock them off.

Come on Lions, give us your best!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
As an example, the Brumbies without the names I just listed:
1. Scott Sio
2. Siliva Siliva
3. Rory Murphy
4. Leon Power
5. Sam Carter
6. George Smith
7. Colby Fainga'a
8. Fotu Auelua
9. Ian Prior
10. Zack Holmes
11. Clyde Rathbone
12. Andrew Smith (Yes, he has shown himself to be a capable 12)
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Tom Cox
15. Robbie Coleman

T

tranquility

1. Daley
2. Anae
3. Jono Owen
4. Ed O'Donoghue
5. AWH
6. Butler
7. Beau Robinson
8. Samo

9. Ben Lucas
10. Jono Lance
11. Shipperley
12. Ant
13. CFS
14. Morahan
15. Aidan Toua

Rodney Davies carrying the oranges.

T

tranquility

I tend to think that Deans selects players the following year, after they have made the grade. So by those calculations, I would say Mowen will make it this year. However, the Dingo is unpredictable.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Of course he will. He'll also select McCalman, Palu and Schatz above Mowen.

Schatz is a younger player than Mowen who is cut from exactly the same ilk. Mowen's form is better but Schatz is younger and playing okay. There are rational reasons to go each way.

McCalman hasn't impressed me since pre-WC but Palu is a completely different player. Deans like big booper No8s, if he was coaching the Brums no doubt Fotu would be starting and Mowen would be a 6.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Possible Brumbies side V Lions:

1. Murphy/Sio
2. Siliva
3. Palmer (maybe)
4. Fardy
5. Carter
6. Kimlin
7. Smith/Fainga'a
8. Mowen
9. Prior
10. To'omua
11. Rathbone
12. Coleman
13. Smith
14. Speight
15. Mogg

Tomane, Alexander, Moore. McCabe, White, Lealiifano to Ws squad.

The strength and depth of the Brumbies' backup players is one reason they will continue to be competitive and go well this year. Very little diminution of the team even with the Wallabies out. Reds are also strong in this regard.

Based on form I would hope there will be a few more Wallabies coming out of the Brumbies, like Palmer, Mowen and Mogg, but I suspect there will probably be fewer.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It boggles my mind that Carter and Fardy haven't even had a look in at the wallabies, seen as sitaleki timani and kane douglas seemed to get a run, and cheika had to dump timani to the bench as they where woeful in the lineout... Matter of fact the brumbies lineout dominated the Rebels as well.

Guess they need to wear sky blue..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
There are 4 locks in your average Wallaby squad. Both are solid, but are they top 4?

I would say that only really Sharpe and Horwill were in front of them and Sharpes gone now and Big Kev's been injured for ever. Who would you put in front of them ? I think it's really anyone's game and in the first 2 weeks the brumbies lineout and scrum beat the reds and smashed the rebels (I know they are not solely responsible for that but..)

I think Carter should be in with a massive shout to partner Horwill for the Lions, if his back playing well (Horwill that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.