• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

The only 'issue' he could be having with the ARU is whether he is offered a ARU top-up... Considering there are only about 30 players on ARU top-ups i think it's quite fair that he isn't one of them..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be more bothered by Palmer if he could finish a season on the paddock

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I would be more bothered by Palmer if he could finish a season on the paddock

Fair enough - but if we cull every potential Wallaby that is injury prone we won't have many guys left.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fair enough - but if we cull every potential Wallaby that is injury prone we won't have many guys left.

True, but he hasn't finished a season on his feet

In the end to be a potential wallaby you have to be able to turn up

He is a good prop but he needs to demonstrate some durability

T

TOCC

Considering there are roughly only 2 Wallaby top-ups per position, is Dan Palmer really considered in the top 4 props in Australia, or more specifically is he more deserving then Kepu / Slipper / Alexander / Robinson of earning a ARU Top-up...

I think until he adds more caps to his name he should be content in knowing that he needs to compete for his contract against the other props.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, all true. Based on the last year though I think I am going to wait until someone has actually flown out of the country before I believe most of the rumours of players signing elsewhere.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Alexander played rather well in the last tour, pity he's often singled out for shortcomings in the Wallabies pack.
For all the talk around, Alexander has 40+ Wallabies caps (maybe 50?), vs zero (?) for Palmer.
Palmer has to deliver in 2013, he has to stamp his authority in the scrum and make to jump from greatly talented player to S15 top prop.
Talent is a great thing but it has to be realised.
Personally, I think that moving to France at this stage of his career would be a mistake for his development.

Agree with all the points made here. But assuming Palmer realises his potential and makes the grade at 3 for the Wallabies, I would be content to see Benn R and Benny A compete for the No 1 spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lets not forget that ARU top ups are only reserved for the top 30 Wallabies.........

218723-izzy-running.jpg

P

Paradox

I expect Cian Healy will be at #1 for the Lions and he took Ben Alexander apart in the RWC 2011 match between Ireland and the Wallabies. The Wallabies scrum going backwards in that match started the rot.

That scrummaging performance was also due a poor Kepu at LH.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Well the Brumbies aren't going to be mucking around during the trials and will put out the best possible teams.

There are 2 trials - Feb 1 against the Force in Darwin and then on Feb 8 against an ACT XV in Canberra.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
And then halve that again for some - it's not a lot of money for the amount of commitment/work/travel etc.

It is though a path to bigger and better things, as one like Henry Vanderglas experienced - sevens was intrinsic in him getting his overseas gigs at Bristol and more importantly Grenoble.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speaking of Vanderglas, he's killing it over in the Top 14 at 7 which I have to say is a surprise to me. I always thought he wasn't up to it physically but he's been one of the best 7s this season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to White in today's Crimes only McCabe and Rathbone are unlikely for round one but both are on track for round two against the Rebels......... excellent.........

Status
Not open for further replies.