• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What goes around comes around. It is what it is.

I have had that feeling in Canberra before. Look it is parliament house but just from a different angle. I think I have already been past here before. I always find it easy to get disorientated in that town.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
One thing that excites me about the Brumbies this year is hoping Leleafano kicks off the way he was playing before breaking that leg. I really hope he can kick on with that form.
I think there are a lot of things to be excited about in 2013. I want to continue to see the tight 5 destroying the opposition's scrums. I'd like to see Vaea really make a mark and to see Colby get plenty of game time. I want to see Pocock in a Brumbies shirt. If McCabe is not going to be fit for a while I'd like to see Matt To'omua at 10 with Lealiifano at 12 and see how two playmakers can set up the outside backs. I want to see more of Kuridrani running at the oppostion at 13. Tomane and Speight are the best pair of wingers in the Australian competition and I am excited to see them in action again. I would like to Robbie Coleman getting game time at 15 or 12.

And also Santa, (if injuries permit) I'd be excited to see quite a few of those players in action against the Lions ...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think there are a lot of things to be excited about in 2013. I want to continue to see the tight 5 destroying the opposition's scrums. I'd like to see Vaea really make a mark and to see Colby get plenty of game time. I want to see Pocock in a Brumbies shirt. If McCabe is not going to be fit for a while I'd like to see Matt To'omua at 10 with Lealiifano at 12 and see how two playmakers can set up the outside backs. I want to see more of Kuridrani running at the oppostion at 13. Tomane and Speight are the best pair of wingers in the Australian competition and I am excited to see them in action again. I would like to Robbie Coleman getting game time at 15 or 12.

And also Santa, (if injuries permit) I'd be excited to see quite a few of those players in action against the Lions .

To me, the jury is out on To'omua. He plays too deep too often and just plays pass the parcel (like Barnes).

Lealiifano played really well when he got his chance, he attacked the gain line stick Coleman at 12

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Reading that also makes me optimistic the Wallabies aren't as far off the ABs as you would sometimes think. For various reasons Fardy, Carter, Lealiifano & Speight never got a start, White never made it on the field & the input of Palmer and Tomane was very limited. I doubt there will be any moves to throw in multiple newbies against the Lions, but if these guys all back up last years performance you would have to think at least 2-4 of them would feature in the series.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Brumbies have announced former Easts coach Brian Smith has joined the Brumbies coaching staff in a defensive role.

Now Smith isn't part of a current NRL side so this appointment will go beyond lunchtime.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...e=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#.UMZOLqyePSg

I am a little bewildered by this appointment. I guess he might add something in defence, as the SMH article says is the purpose of his appintment: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/b...mer-nrl-coach-brian-smith-20121211-2b6da.html

But one of the huge differences between League and union is the lack of structured possession whereby defences are able to set themselves - anyway that's for another day and another debate.

They have one hell of a coaching team down there - i do have a good felling about the joint.

At least the Brums are certain to make the semis in 2013 - they just wont win with Smith there!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think he's more a defensive technique coach because he does reference a couple of times the fact he needs to "work within Jake's existing structures".

If that is the case, good call. The reality is rugby union defence has always been 100% about winning contact, but that's not the game today. Today, we need to have an eye for defending the offload too, which leaguies are VERY adept at.

This means changing our focus just a little and modifying our technique accordingly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think he's more a defensive technique coach because he does reference a couple of times the fact he needs to "work within Jake's existing structures".

If that is the case, good call. The reality is rugby union defence has always been 100% about winning contact, but that's not the game today. Today, we need to have an eye for defending the offload too, which leaguies are VERY adept at.

This means changing our focus just a little and modifying our technique accordingly.

It also seems to have the attraction of giving the mungoes the shits

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be more of the collision type of defence like Buderus was set for rather than body positioning wouldn't it. Still it's hard to see a crossover of thinking.

League is all about the ball carrier staying upright and on their feet and the defender taking them to the ground. Union is all about getting low and to the ground and the defender holding them up where applicable.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the idea is to try and make the brumbies more physically dominating in defence, win the collision, drive other teams back and let pocock have a crack at the ball. Seems like a good idea.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the idea is to try and make the brumbies more physically dominating in defence, win the collision, drive other teams back and let pocock have a crack at the ball. Seems like a good idea.

For all of SOME leaguies brag about how tough their sport is, it's not about dominant hits in defence.

It's about mitigating the offload and slowing down the play of the ball.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
On the local news they said that Brian Smith is employed on a "month to month basis" for 2 sessions a week, and they would review his appointment when the season started, and decide then whether he would continue.

In the footage they showed of Smith at the Brumbies training he seemed to be coaching on controlling the ball carrier, much like the wrestling the NRL uses.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully he can add something.

Very impressive list of coaches at the franchises this season, best i can remember. Would be great if the increased skills can be translated to the national setup in the coming years.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
On the local news they said that Brian Smith is employed on a "month to month basis" for 2 sessions a week, and they would review his appointment when the season started, and decide then whether he would continue.

In the footage they showed of Smith at the Brumbies training he seemed to be coaching on controlling the ball carrier, much like the wrestling the NRL uses.

I heard its 10 sessions over the course of the season and would be reviewed at the end of the season.

T

tranquility

Brian Smith is notorious for being a meticulous analyser of the game, his downfall always comes with his lack of ability to communicate and create rapport with players ala Steady Eddy. I think having him in an advisor role is a great idea, as it taps into his knowledge while keeping him at arms length from the day to day running of the club. There is always things to be learned from League, and vice versa - which is what makes the development of our two codes so unique.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Regardless of whether Smith will be a success or not, it is great that White wants the Brumbies to be more lethal in defence - agree 100%. IMHO, defence wins games - greater focus on defensive play would possibly also benefit the current Wallaby group.

Status
Not open for further replies.