• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Would anybody else like to see Tomane play 13 this year? More from curiosity point than anything, that's why it probably won't happen.

keep Joe as a winger he is a natural finisher... I'd like to see more of Kuridrani, I also think Andrew Smith got a lot of confidence out of a great season, he'll be better again in 2013... the big Brumbies backs were a handful for many teams last year... I'm not sure were Rathbone will fit in but if he can get his speed back his is also a natural finisher and knows where to be come try time. McCabe is solid he has to start again at 12. Could cover a13 in a White> To'omua> Leo> McCabe> Tomane/Speight/Mogg back 3 combo...

I think we will continue to see a forward dominated bench in 2013 at the Brums... I must say if Jake goes a 5-2 forwards - backs split it could be difficult for To'omua to get a run... To'omua will have to study fullback to have more versatility… because you’d imagine the first backs spot will go to a scrum half…

Jakes bench a: Prop, Hooker, Lock, Flanker, No.8, Scrumhalf, Winger/Fullback

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Tomane would need a bit more time on the wing and exp in Union before he'd be ready to try 13. Did Rathbone ever play in the centers?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No doubt here, the Aussie conference will be far stronger on average with the Tahs squad likely to play closer to the level they are on paper, the Reds to show similar form to last year, the Brumbies to have a year more experiance, and the Rebels/Force to have a much better rounded outfit.

Still, but we're seeing a talent vacuum in the Kiwi conference and SA conference. The Blues and Kings have very week squads, far weaker then any Aussie squad on paper. Now the Brums and Canes showed anything can happen last year but it's still unlikely they'll be good.

The Bulls, Stormers and Sharks will all be better on paper than in 2012 (part recruitment, part having injured players returning) so not sure why you are saying that? I am happy to elaborate...

Forget the Kings. They are not even worth the discussion.

And to suggest a talent vacuum in Kiwiland, you clearly did not watch ITM cup. They have ridiculous depth, more than I can ever remember.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tomane would need a bit more time on the wing and exp in Union before he'd be ready to try 13. Did Rathbone ever play in the centers?

Rathbone played a game or two at outside centre in 2005 for the Brumbies.

His test debut was also at outside centre against Scotland.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Bulls, Stormers and Sharks will all be better on paper than in 2012 (part recruitment, part having injured players returning) so not sure why you are saying that? I am happy to elaborate.

Forget the Kings. They are not even worth the discussion.

And to suggest a talent vacuum in Kiwiland, you clearly did not watch ITM cup. They have ridiculous depth, more than I can ever remember.

Perhaps I misused the term 'talent vacuum'. I meant that the talent in these nations is spread over 3 or 4 squads rather than the full 5.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Rathbone played a game or two at outside centre in 2005 for the Brumbies.

His test debut was also at outside centre against Scotland.

And he captained SA under 20's under White from 13. Only started playing winger here in Aus.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)

Captain of the Junior Springboks and won the U21 RWC
Yes started as a centre at the brumbies... excelled on the wing in professional wing

Quote: "A bustling centre, Rathbone was frustrated by injury in his first season at the Brumbies, but like Gerrard, performed beyond expectation in 2004 after finding a new home on the wing."

http://www.factbites.com/topics/Clyde-Rathbone

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I am finding it very hard to believe that the Clyde Rathbone story won't be like Ian Thorpe's comeback. I would like to see him be as good as he was but at 31 and having had many bad injuries and several years out of the top level, he just won't be good enough to play Super Rugby.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I am finding it very hard to believe that the Clyde Rathbone story won't be like Ian Thorpe's comeback. I would like to see him be as good as he was but at 31 and having had many bad injuries and several years out of the top level, he just won't be good enough to play Super Rugby.

The plan is to play him against the Kings, score a hat trick and then look like a genius*

* = not true

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I sincerely hope you're wrong E&E, but it does look like a massive challenge for him.

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)

Thanks buzz kill but even if he fails what is lost. What is failure.
Not getting game time or getting injured. That he does not live up to an image you have set for him. Three broken tackles a game and a try a game.

At the moment he is training the house down and providing a great role model. We do not have many Wallaby backs .
If injury strikes we move onto the next soldier in Gillespie or Foley and bring them into the EPS and upgrade Stepan.
He does not get a game in the 22. Well last year with the injuries we had two backs without game time Cox and Sitauti

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Clyde is probably pencilled into a bench spot covering wing and 13 (maybe 15 in an real pinch).

Outside of that he's an excellent influence on the squad as a mentor of how to be a professional rugby player, how to recover from crushing injuries, and how to adapt from life in SA to life in Aus.

Tomane is looking the goods are a future Wallaby starting winger and Speight will be a real chance of the same honour when his residency comes through (will he be ready by the June internationals?). Unless Clyde plays 13 over the very reliable journeyman Smith he's the go to benchman and a GREAT one at that.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
On another note, imagine how Jake White's emphasis on South African-Australians would go down if it was in WA for the Force. Obvious SA-Aussies are a rapidly growing demographic there.

It would of been a match made in heaven. Oh well, all retrospect.

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
On another note, imagine how Jake White's emphasis on South African-Australians would go down if it was in WA for the Force. Obvious SA-Aussies are a rapidly growing demographic there.

It would of been a match made in heaven. Oh well, all retrospect.
Maybe there is to much made of the SA connection
Rathbone former Brumby
Ruan Smith was in the National Academy and played for Oz schools
Swanepoel Oz 20 and Force. Oosthizen right place to be when the Lions folded.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe there is to much made of the SA connection
Rathbone former Brumby
Ruan Smith was in the National Academy and played for Oz schools
Swanepoel Oz 20 and Force. Oosthizen right place to be when the Lions folded.

There's also the EPS centre and there's Poey and Prior who have that 'Southern African' link (rather than literally South African).

South African-Australians are a very real part of the fabric of Australian rugby and I have no problem with the Brumbies recognising that and playing to their strengths. I mean, they are all obviously Aussies at heart (bar Oostheizen, but he's just a clever signing).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Clyde is probably pencilled into a bench spot covering wing and 13 (maybe 15 in an real pinch).

Outside of that he's an excellent influence on the squad as a mentor of how to be a professional rugby player, how to recover from crushing injuries, and how to adapt from life in SA to life in Aus.

Tomane is looking the goods are a future Wallaby starting winger and Speight will be a real chance of the same honour when his residency comes through (will he be ready by the June internationals?). Unless Clyde plays 13 over the very reliable journeyman Smith he's the go to benchman and a GREAT one at that.

Speight has been eligible since August.

Deans is a dunce for not taking him on the EOYT.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
There's also the EPS centre and there's Poey and Prior who have that 'Southern African' link (rather than literally South African).

South African-Australians are a very real part of the fabric of Australian rugby and I have no problem with the Brumbies recognising that and playing to their strengths. I mean, they are all obviously Aussies at heart (bar Oostheizen, but he's just a clever signing).

Sounds like the Off White Card's report was correct

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rathbone would be down the pecking order, if he was to appear I'd expect to see him covering for an injured winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.