• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I think you'll find the current sponsor had a helping hand in the neogtiations.
The Brumbies should be sponsored by the company that has prospered from building the thousands of roundabouts that dominate the ACT.
You've got no chance of getting a cracker out of traffic lights installers.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pocock is definitely a superb player to sign, no doubt about that. What will be very interesting though is how he will fit in with the Brumbies team that have been built on the basis of being an effective until rather than on the back of star players.

On the captaincy issue. Mowen is doing a good job as captain so why make a change to someone who is going to need time to settle in and get used to the squad and the culture at the Brumbies. In addition making Pocock the captain just because he's the Aus captain might not be beneficial. BOD gave up the captaincy of Leinster due to his injuries and wanting to focus on Ireland and getting himself right.

Leo Cullen has been an excellent captain for Leinster since but I wouldn't put him forward for Ireland captain as they are two very different roles. Pocock would probably be better served focusing on settling in at the Brumbies and being captain of Australia.

On top of that how would the players already at the Brumbies react to a player being signed and then handed the captaincy? In some cases it can work for a team where they want a new direction, say like at the 'Tahs where they might benefit for a leader who isn't one of the boys. But the Brumbies are a tight unit and it was one of their strengths this year. In time Pocock might be the captain but it's something he should earn in the eyes of the coach and the other players. Mowen's already done that so let him keep it.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
welcome to the Brumbies David Pocock... a great signing , he'll fit in well in Canberra... a good career move by Pocock...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
In terms of the squad status for 2013, Jake says there are 2 spots open in the 30 player squad, plus the EPS to sort out with a hooker, halfback and prop the priority.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Considering the game strategy in 2012, what would really add value to the team is a high percentage goalkicker.
A good kicker is worth at leat 10 points per game. Not easy to find though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Canberra rugby back on the up.......

Marist in Waratah Shield's top eight

August 1, 2012
Chris Wilson

ACT schools were indignantly dumped from the Waratah Shield in 2005, but Marist College is just three wins from bringing the prestigious knockout rugby title back to Canberra in its return year.

Marist College will host Sydney's Hills Sports High School in the quarter-final of the Waratah Shield today, seven years after ACT schools were excluded from the NSW statewide competition amid claims they were too successful.

The decision caused a massive backlash in Canberra.

St Edmunds College was the most successful team in the competition's history with 14 titles.

While St Eddies declined an invitation to return to the competition this year because of a pre-arranged tour of New Zealand, Marist is carrying Canberra's flag.

Marist last won the Waratah Shield in 1993, led by future Wallabies great Joe Roff.

Roff said the original decision to cut ACT schools from the Waratah Shield had been short-sighted and he welcomed the return of the ACT, which was represented this year by Marist, Canberra Grammar, Daramalan, Trinity College and Burgmann College.

''It's good for the kids to get exposed to it and it's good for the Waratah Shield competition because the ACT teams have traditionally done well and that builds the quality of the competition. It has a great history,'' he said.

''It becomes a stepping stone for those who want to pursue a high-level rugby career.''

Brumbies Rugby development co-ordinator Russell Ingram said the Waratah Shield had been restructured since 2005 under the co-ordination of NSW Rugby Union.

''NSW Rugby and their competition's manager thought it was a no-brainer that we coordinate our programs with them and roll back into the Waratah Shield for this year.

So the invitations went back out for the ACT to be part of the competition,'' Ingram said.

''Commonsense has prevailed.''

Starting among more than 80 schools, Marist is now down to the final eight. Its opponent today, Hills, won the Shield in 2010.

Marist coach Paul Mead, who played alongside Roff in the 1993 Shield victory, said it was a boost to the school's aspiring players.

''Obviously it's got a lot of tradition and prestige about it and it provides our boys with another style of rugby and opportunity to test their skill level,'' Mead said.

''It adds a lot of our rugby program at the school.''

''With our first year being back in it it's very hard to tell [who is the school to beat].

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/marist-in-waratah-shields-top-eight-20120731-23dck.html#ixzz22Er63Hqy

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Considering the game strategy in 2012, what would really add value to the team is a high percentage goalkicker.
A good kicker is worth at leat 10 points per game. Not easy to find though.

Lealiifano was kicking at 85% until he was injured.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
South-African born prop Ruan Smith who had a 3 game contract with the Force to finish 2012 and plays in the Brisbane Premier Rugby competition just announced via Twitter that he has signed a 3 year deal with the Brumbies. No official story to link yet sorry.

Will be interesting to see if the Brumbies will bring his brother and fellow prop JP Smith along on some type of deal as well, as far as I know they have always been together throughout their careers (Toowoomba Grammar, Stormers, Reds) similiar to the Faiinga twins.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, 5 props in the senior squad then?

I wonder if the Brumbies are letting go another player.......

I was under the assumption they only had one more spot left for an outside back, unless they've given up that spot?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Replaces Jerry Yanuyanutawa in the main squad. Jerry is off to London
-Irish, not wasps as first thought.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought I'd taken Jerry's departure into account but obviously not.......

Just one outside back spot to fill then?

Back on the EPS, I would assume we've got a full 5 spots to fill there?

Aside from Hegarty, who is off to France, Sigg was the only one not to get promoted to a full time contract and I again have to assume he wouldn't want to stick around?

Status
Not open for further replies.