• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I say we get rid of both Phibbs and Valentine...

OK, but who would you suggest the Brumbies recruit to replace them (apart from Nic White)? Are there any scrumhalves from the other Australian provinces coming off contract or should it be a foreign marquee player?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, but who would you suggest the Brumbies recruit to replace them (apart from Nic White)? Are there any scrumhalves from the other Australian provinces coming off contract or should it be a foreign marquee player?

I'm pretty certain that despite the fact that I'm out of shape, never played professional rugby, and was a backrower, I could probably do a better job than Valentine...

I do like the fact that there is only one scrumhalf position available with White having the other...

I'd like to also see the Brumbies ship out Salvi too... but it probably won't happen...

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm pretty certain that despite the fact that I'm out of shape, never played professional rugby, and was a backrower, I could probably do a better job than Valentine...

I do like the fact that there is only one scrumhalf position available with White having the other...

I'd like to also see the Brumbies ship out Salvi too... but it probably won't happen...

Yes, I understand that you think Valentine is useless but you didn't answer my question. (you're not a politician are you?) Who would be your choice for a scrumhalf?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic White would be first choice for the moment...

The Brumbies should be looking around to see what other scrumhalves are off contract, or wait and see if there are any foreign players interested to come in with Jake White...

Valentine has been useless... and Phibbs has been somewhere between occasionally reliable to just downright terrible...

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Nic White would be first choice for the moment...

The Brumbies should be looking around to see what other scrumhalves are off contract, or wait and see if there are any foreign players interested to come in with Jake White...

Valentine has been useless... and Phibbs has been somewhere between occasionally reliable to just downright terrible...

I'm not going to pass judgement on either of them but I will make an observation that at the last home game the supporters around me in Bay 27 were getting noticeably frustrated at the length of time Valentine was taking to clear the ball from the back of rucks.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Valentine's play is easy to follow by the opposition.. He is taking 2 steps after picking up the ball at each maul before passing. He needs to mix it up a little more to keep the defence guessing. Phibbs first halve last weekend was one of his best this season. Brumbies need to sign another srum half for next season and young White needs some bench time before the season is over. Frankly the scrum half has been a weakness this season for the Brumbies, neither valentine or Phibbs have been any good and were not impressive last season either. Just being a great guy isn't enough to get a contract, I wish them both well.

In the times Chiz has been offered something for next season with the Brumbies... They'll need his experience... AS for the backs, Hopefully Clinton Sills will be available and ready for a rookie wing spot in 2012.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not going to pass judgement on either of them but I will make an observation that at the last home game the supporters around me in Bay 27 were getting noticeably frustrated at the length of time Valentine was taking to clear the ball from the back of rucks.

How much is the time taken part of the game plan devised by the current coaching staff. In comparison to other teams the Brumbies with either half this season haven taken considerably longer than their opponents. How much is by design and how much is by execution is something the coaching staff have been silent on till SA trip when Rea came out with an expressed desire to now move the ball wider and then chose IMO the slower of the two halves available to deliver. Phibbs took his opportunity well in attack but for mine was still found wanting in defence.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's wait for frther confirmation...

The French media have made a load of claims lately regarding player transfers that turned out to be false..

And recent reports suggested Chis had no offers as yet aside from the Brumbies...

According to the crimes white will be trimming down on assistants and Laurie Fisher is being considered for forwards coach... Hmmmm...

D

daz

Report just in from the Republic:

Jake White has phoned the Brumbies board and reneged on his contract. He further announced he is taking up a job as water boy for the Lions.

Witnesses recall seeing White sitting alone at a table in a SA sports bar yesterday afternoon, and report hearing him exclaim "Fuck that!" at the conclusion of the recent S15 fixture held in Canberra.

"He just seemed to get angrier and angrier with each passing minute", says Mr E. Jones, who was serving White drinks at the time. "I have seen him like this before and usually I take his matters into my own hands, but today he wanted none of that".

Another patron at the bar, Mr P. De Villiers, is also considering legal action after having a drinks coaster thrown at him by White. It is not known what caused this to occur, or if it was intentional.

"Ja, that guy was crazy" said De Villiers, "and I know crazy when I see it! That guy must be a ballerina 'coz a real man would have thrown a chair".

However, bar staff have mentioned on condition of strictest confidence that there is a quota of drinks coasters that must be thrown in each happy hour period. "No big deal" said one staff member. "If the coaster was not thrown at this bar, we would have to ask another bar to throw one extra to even things up".

Brumbies admin were not available for comment, pending player approval to speak to the media.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The politics here is like Kindergarten compared to what Jake White has had to endure in South Africa in regards to issues such as the 'quota system', so I don't see it being a problem for him.

The fact that there was a period of time between when Friend got the arse and White being appointed leads me to think that he would have said what he wanted in place and how he wanted to run things if he was to become the coach from 2012. I don't think he will sit back and take no for an answer and should command (and demand) the respect from the playing group since he has won a World Cup and none of the current players have. It will be interesting to see if this actually happens.

I believe that, to some degree, this decision will make or break Brumbies CEO Andrew Fagan's job since the appointment of White is the second biggest decision he has had to make this year (Friend getting the boot being the first), especially with appointing a foreign coach,

Back in the day there the players who ran the show were mentally tougher and had the experience (Gregan, Larkham, Roff and co.) and if you compare that to what will be in place it's almost the complete opposite, especially with Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Chapman (and possibly others) leaving and White could be very well what's required to keep the younger brigade interested and motivated.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The politics here is like Kindergarten compared to what Jake White has had to endure in South Africa in regards to issues such as the 'quota system', so I don't see it being a problem for him.
The fact that there was a period of time between when Friend got the arse and White being appointed leads me to think that he would have said what he wanted in place and how he wanted to run things if he was to become the coach from 2012. I don't think he will sit back and take no for an answer and should command (and demand) the respect from the playing group since he has won a World Cup and none of the current players have. It will be interesting to see if this actually happens. I believe that, to some degree, this decision will make or break Brumbies CEO Andrew Fagan's job since the appointment of White is the second biggest decision he has had to make this year (Friend getting the boot being the first), especially with appointing a foreign coach. Back in the day there the players who ran the show were mentally tougher and had the experience (Gregan, Larkham, Roff and co.) and if you compare that to what will be in place it's almost the complete opposite, especially with Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Chapman (and possibly others) leaving and White could be very well what's required to keep the younger brigade interested and motivated.

BJ: Agree with you overall - I would be staggered if JW has not formally contracted to have virtually carte blanche wrt all selections and his entire support staff. He would be mad to do otherwise, given the history.

As I have noted prior, I congratulate Fagan and the ACTRU Board on this JW decision - from the dark catharsis they had to have and that has virtually broken them, they have shown (at last) courage and a strategic sense in appointing JW.

Subject to his choice of support coaches and few selection challenges, I would predict that JW will have the 2012 Brumbies making major improvements in playing outcomes by about Rnd 6-8 of the 2012 S15 (roughly what it took Link with the Reds in 2010). If Fagan shows he can now act like a decent CEO, and the thus far lilly-livered ACTRU Board permit he and White to restructure fully and correctly, I would predict a solid new phase of Brumbie pride for 2013 +. And for code viability in Aus, we will always need at least 2 S15 teams each and every year credibly vying for S15 Finals.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
If Valentine is cut at season's end the Brumbies should sign Dewet Roos from Southern Districts to replace him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I get criticised for being critical of managers and coaches, and i have been very critical of players especially Chis at times, but that cyclo just highlights the points i and others have been making for more than 12 months. A total lack of thought about why a player underperforms, Chis has at times playered very well in tests. Ask why he faild and why this year his usual solids super level performances have been abscent. Truly great players like Eales can rise above the poor environment.
Don't get me wrong i dont want him to play tests again, but that comment is poor, true "white noise".

T

tranquility

Harsh... Chis has for the most part been great for the Brumbies, but has failed to step up to test rugby...

He's been a good servant and wish him well...

I remember when Chis has the breakout season and was scoring these ridiculous long range tries, and he truly looked to have the world at his feet. I remember being particularly bitter because he was a West Bulldog as a junior, it's a real shame that he never harnessed that potential. But in saying that he always tried hard, and play some good footy for the Brumbies and Wobblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.