• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think the Brumbies showed some real foresight in signing him for 4 years. If they had only signed hime for 2 years, and the Boks don't go so well at the worldcup, there would be tons of Boks supporters screaming for the SARU to re-employ him, and the brumbies would loose him right in the core of a rebuilding phase.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pleased he's coming over to Canberra in just a few months...

It'll provide him with plenty of opportunities to eye off talent in the John I Dent Cup...

This should hopefully attract some good player signings...

The Brumbies are also without an international marquee signing so it'll be interesting to see if there will be any Bok players, or SA players who are just outside the test XV who might want to follow him over...

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm pleased he's coming over to Canberra in just a few months...

It'll provide him with plenty of opportunities to eye off talent in the John I Dent Cup...

This should hopefully attract some good player signings...

The Brumbies are also without an international marquee signing so it'll be interesting to see if there will be any Bok players, or SA players who are just outside the test XV who might want to follow him over...

Yeah - hopefully a halfback and a lock or two.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alright, let's get it started...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...rget-oconnor-for-brumbies-20110427-1dw6c.html

White to target O'Connor for Brumbies

Newly-announced Brumbies coach Jake White faces an early challenge trying to lure young Wallabies star James O'Connor to Canberra.

White, the 48-year-old South African who guided the Springboks to 2007 World Cup glory, was confirmed on Tuesday as Brumbies coach for the next four Super Rugby seasons from 2012.

The two-time IRB world coach of the year will be called on to work some magic much earlier, with the struggling Brumbies in a battle with the four other Australian franchises to sign 20-year-old O'Connor, who is coming off contract with the Western Force.

Advertisement: Story continues below With three-quarters of their roster for next year locked in, Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said O'Connor would be a target for White.

"He will definitely have a chat with James O'Connor," Fagan said.

White could also face a battle to retain Wallabies skipper Rocky Elsom, who is reportedly talking to the NSW Waratahs.

Fagan was non-committal about whether Elsom would be retained by the Brumbies at the end of the current campaign.

"He (White) will want to ensure there is a balance of senior and upcoming players in that squad," Fagan said.

"He knows he has got a decision to make on people like Rocky and he will make that decision."

Fagan said White would bring a harder edge to the Brumbies, who have failed make a Super Rugby finals series since their 2004 title win.

"He wouldn't have come here if he did not think he and this team and this town were capable of becoming a powerhouse again," Fagan said.

"He wants the Brumbies to be playing an attacking brand of rugby.

"He was very clear about that but he obviously brings a hard edge as well that you pick up in Test football.

"He will put together some of the strengths of his history in South Africa together with the game you need to play to win Super Rugby tournaments and to enthuse our fans."

Fagan said White would be in the nation's capital "in a few weeks" to begin his planning for the 2012 Super Rugby season.

White's capture was described as a major coup by Fagan given his international pedigree.

As well as the 2007 World Cup in France, White won the 2004 Tri Nations title during his 54-Test reign with the Springboks.

He also claimed the 2002 under-21 rugby world cup title as South Africa's coach.

White has never coached at Super Rugby level but was assistant coach with South African franchise the Sharks in the 2000 campaign.

AAP

R

Red Rooster

ABC Online is reporting that Eddie Jones and George Gregan are to be involved with White along with other former players - 4 years will be good?

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
His role has to include mentoring talented Australian assistant coaches,

Sure they want to win but I get the feeling this is the No.1 criteria in picking him as the new coach.

Bringing in Eddie would be deflate this argument unless Eddie is desperate for a Job, any job closer to home.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I would highly recommend to Brumbies fans to read Jake White's book that was published after the RWC win; "In Black and White"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-White-Jake-Story/dp/1770220046
(MODS delete this link it it's not allowed)

It will give you insight into him as a person, character, history, coaching philosophies etc. and of course all the crap he dealt with.

For those who don't know, Jake was the Boks technical analyst under Nick Mallet. He also ran a TV program with Joel Stransky for some time in SA in the early 2000's. Still the best rugby TV program I have ever watched. The whole thing was like "Kafe's chalkboard." It was brilliant.

Very focused bloke. I am sure he will be open to working with the incumbent assistants but he will be a tough schoolmaster (he is a trained teacher by the way). One of SA's most successful schools coaches. He understands grass roots having been a development manager early in his career.

I'm excited for the Brumbies. This could be great and I hope it is.

Some good info Blue.

Why's he been jobless (or has he?) for the past few years then?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Looks like 'Fast Eddie' and 'Gorgeous George' may be back at Brumbyland.

White targets Gregan, Jones for Brumbies

New Brumbies coach Jake White has hit the road running, sizing up George Gregan and former coach Eddie Jones amongst a number of former stars to get the Canberra side back to the top of Super Rugby.

The former World Cup-winning Springboks coach has already made calls to a number of Brumbies old boys before even officially starting his role as coach, with his contract set to start in the 2012 season.

And he says any future successes will have roots in the past, with ex-Wallabies captain Gregan and close friend Jones key to rebuilding a winning culture.

"Im going to make sure Eddie Jones is part of it. At the end of the day you'd be crazy [not to consider him] ...Eddie Jones has been a very successful Brumbies coach," he said.
White was coy on potential signings, but says he would consider the opportunity to pick up Western Force gun James O'Connor if it came up.

"The whole world would love to sign James O'Connor," he said.

"He's got a South African mum and a New Zealander dad, so maybe he'd feel a bit more allegiance coming to a South African coach playing for the Brumbies.
While Brumbies legend Larkham is now the current assistant coach, White says he will try and get the best he can out of the current backroom staff before considering changes.

"Everyone's in the job and I don't want to create uncertainty. The fairest way of doing it would be to first assess and see what they've got, see who does what and what added value they bring to the team," he said.

"At the end of the day it's not just the assistant coaches, it's the support staff and everybody at Brumbie-land needs to make sure they can add value to the Brumbies set up."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/27/3201708.htm?site=sport&section=all

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I was under the impression he's been acting as a coaching consultant for various teams since the last RWC...

He's had commercial interests and acted as a consultant to Saracens, Suntory and others.

Jake and Eddie Jones are close. Won't be surprised to see Eddie pop up as a consultant. Unless he is banned in Canberra or something. :)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's had commercial interests and acted as a consultant to Saracens, Suntory and others.

Jake and Eddie Jones are close. Won't be surprised to see Eddie pop up as a consultant. Unless he is banned in Canberra or something. :)

Well, he's only one of two Australian coaches to win the comp...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think a consultancy kind of role suits Eddie perfectly and he's actually rather good at it. I never really liked him as a head coach, but he does have a very good rugby brain.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So far?

I'm pretty certain the following are all signed on for next year:

Ben Alexander
Dan Palmer
Salesi Ma'afu
Jono Owen
Jerry Yanuyanutawa (although I'm not sure if he'll be wanted)

Stephen Moore

Ben Hand

Colby Fainga'a
Michael Hooper
Julian Salvi
Ita Vaea
Fotunuupule Auelua (was this officially confirmed?)
Stephen Hoiles (but has a get out cause he'll most likely exercise)

Nic White

Matt To'omua
Christian Lealiifano
Robbie Coleman

Ed Stubbs
Andrew Smith
Pat McCabe

Henry Speight
Francis Fainifo

Status
Not open for further replies.