• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Tomane combines massive size with above ordinary athleticism. If his head is in the right space he might be anything.

Agreed. Also for those that havent seen him here's a few clips

No 4 that features prominently in the first few minutes
[video=youtube;KE7_mNzc1B8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7_mNzc1B8&feature=fvwrel[/video]

[video=youtube;dCFS7Z2XhTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFS7Z2XhTI[/video]

Also this one where he wears no.11 but plays right wing

[video=youtube;a78_o7Z9QxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a78_o7Z9QxQ[/video]

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Memberships renewed, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is and getting behind the team.

The initiatives that Jake White has put in place already look promising, and the fact that he is getting them up and running indicates that they are taking positive steps to address the underwhelming results that we've had of late. Left field initiatives like the chef, sleeping room as well as local commitment sealed the deal for me.

Speaking of Tomane, when he played for Uni this season, he was much hyped, but not that impressive. Junior Rasolea (spelling?) was by far the most impressive player - does anyone know where he has ended up?

That said, Tomane didn't look anywhere near fit, so I'll assume he'll be a lot more impressive next year... I hope for the Brumbies he comes good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He'll certainly want to perform, otherwise there are plenty of other guys competing for that outside centre/wing spot...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Speaking of Tomane, when he played for Uni this season, he was much hyped, but not that impressive. Junior Rasolea (spelling?) was by far the most impressive player - does anyone know where he has ended up?

Haven't heard that name in a while, was he playing at 10 or 12? He was quite good in his schoolboy days, from memory made QLD I but not much further.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Memberships renewed, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is and getting behind the team.

Good to see Empire!!

The initiatives that Jake White has put in place already look promising, and the fact that he is getting them up and running indicates that they are taking positive steps to address the underwhelming results that we've had of late. Left field initiatives like the chef, sleeping room as well as local commitment sealed the deal for me.

I'm excited about the Super Rugby season and am looking forward to the Brumbies showing some ticker. The thing that has been really disappointing over the past few seasons has been the lack of heart show by these guys. I think that's why Git's "Captain" call to Moore was such a highlight for me, because it showed some passion (whether it was the right thing to do or not has been discussed a million times!).

I just want to watch my footy team playing their hearts out for the full 80mins and not dogging it when things get too tough for them. It looks like Jake has them on the right track.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Ok, I'll bite...

Why would I want one of our best, and sole backline test representative out injured?

Particularly when we have essentially a new team, and our best combinations preferably sorted sooner rather than later?

Why would I want our potential 13 or 12 not to have the training time honing and improving his skills?

As for him strangling the Wallaby attack... There were other players in the field too...

Based on his world cup perfoances, we could say Genia strangles our attack with all the kicking... But we shouldnt let a few performances at the RWC be a definitive indicator of a players worth...

But is he?

This is the thing. If rugby was like NFL, and we could pause the play and run on the defence, he'd be the first Wallaby, let alone Brumby, I picked, followed by Pocock and then Fainga'a (x 2)

But its not. People talk about metres gained, but where were those metres gained? He took a lot of returns from fullback....so if there was no one within 25m of him (quite likely at the back) and he ran it back, there's 25m. But that doesn't mean they were effective. It may have been a better option to kick it.

Or, more likely, draw and pass it on to someone like Lealiifano or Coleman, who have the pace, and elusiveness to not just get it back to the defending line, but actually break through that line, OR put someone else through a gap, and actually counter-attack.

Yes we could argue that other players were not up to their best (Cooper/Genia), or that there was not even a semblence of a gameplan for them to play to, but playing McCabe at 12 buggered our attack. He hardly passed, and was not effective enough in contact to actually BE a decent crash baller. Its one thing to attempt to break every bone in your body on someone elses shoulder, its a completely different thing to run hard AND intelligently, eg into the SPACE between two men, or at the inside shoulder of a rapidly moving cover defender, so that they're unbalanced in the contact, rather than the OUTside shoulder, with which they're directing all their force.

I'm not happy he's injured, its a great shame, and i'm pissed off at Robbie Deans for (among countless other things) playing him after he was clearly in a bad, bad way, when it would have made far more sense to....I dunno...play someone else...who isn't a rookie in that position?

For the Brumbies though, it means that we have a lot of rookies, who will then be looked at in their respective positions. Plus, JW wont be tempted or pressured into playing McCabe at 12 by Deans, and hamstringing our own potentially excellent attacking structure.

He's a fantastic defender, and has huge balls, but unless he learns to be more of a link man (like Fainga'a has done over the last few years) and do just enough to give a platform for more naturally gifted attackers, OR he becomes more intelligent with his crash balls, and starts making metres from them, then he doesn't warrant a position for the Brumbies, let alone the Wallabies, however harsh that sounds. I'm a huge fan of aggressive defence, but not at the total cost of attacking/counter-attacking backline play.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would say that Fainga'a is a lesser version of McCabe...

Fainga'a's defence is nowhere near as good, and he certainly doesn't provide anything more in attack.

McCabe can become an excellent outside centre, or with some improvement can become a better inside centre.

It's only his second year of Super Rugby, and only just switched to 12 a few weeks before the test season.

Having gone back and watched the earlier tests he actually looked a lot better, and varied his game up moreso than in the later tests during the RWC.

Forgetting the Irish game, McCabe generally made excellent metres crashing it up. And unfortunately the gameplan that was set out didn't call for him to pass very much (I think he passed more in the Samoa game than in the entire RWC).

The idea that he cannot 'draw and pass' and put people away is a myth, and he's displayed that ability with the Brumbies.

It was also a gameplan that didn't see Genia pass very much. Or the backline run any backline moves... or... or... or...

Our attack was hampered by Dean's plan to have us rely on random acts of individual brilliance.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Slim,

Really? Have you actually watched him? Or did you just assume Cooper threw all those little inside pop passes to Davies?

Eg: [video=youtube;ZK6y1zEuxqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6y1zEuxqo&feature=related[/video]

Watch Morahan's try here:

[video=youtube;Fw_vgVqR3L4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_vgVqR3L4&feature=fvst[/video]

Beautiful dummy to delay the pass by half a second, just enough to force Cummins to commit to taking Fainga'a, and then a great pop to Diggers to set Morahan up.

Plsu his two tries, and smashing the Fullback at the end, forcign the spilled ball for Higgers try.

2:20:

[video=youtube;9gfpFDoj5Mk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gfpFDoj5Mk&feature=related[/video]

Twats off the Crusaders 7 and goes for 45m by himself

Perfect curling grubber to put Davies away:

[video=youtube;BwJMgqQrQsk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJMgqQrQsk[/video]

Reds/Blues 2011:

[video=youtube;M5QUJlCsAy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QUJlCsAy0&feature=related[/video]

35s, Robinson-Fainga'a-Cooper for a try.

But I would completely agree with you regarding Deans, and the lack of a plan to work from. I'm sick of the kiwi bastard, he can FOH ASAP IMO.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
mmmmmmmm... I do remember the brumbies handing the Reds their asses this season at home....
[video=youtube;y6zDHXOPGxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6zDHXOPGxs[/video]

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gotta get the spite in early...

[video=youtube;CjnPnQCB6vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnPnQCB6vI[/video]

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Vaea has a solid forearm; Digby dipped and found it… nothing malicious… Greg Martins vitriol was grossly over stated, as was most of his Reds commentary last season.

Ita Vaea had a great rookie season… he has a big future… just envisage what JW will turn him into now he has a seasons experience behind him...

I'm looking forward to seeing more... just renewed my membership/s...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Mudskipper,

There will be a 3 way battle for the number 8 spot in 2012 with Vaea going up against Stephen Hoiles and Fotu Auelua. Last year Vaea basically got thrust into the spotlight due to the injury to Hoiles and I thought he did quite well give the circumstances but he is benefiting from being in a full time professional environment.

I think Auelua will be behind the 8 ball since he's not due back from Japan until the end of January.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think Auelua will be behind the 8 ball since he's not due back from Japan until the end of January.

It could be. Never had a great work rate for Toulon as I remember him playing in the forwards, which was not all the time. Skilful though for a guy who didn't look like a great physical specimen.

He could struggle with the fast Super game and be an impact player from the bench, but let's see what happens.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And with White's preseason training trimming a lot of fat off the players Vaea should be looking in good shape...

Personally, in a fully fit squad Hoiles no longer has a place in the XV.

His versatility will make him great off the bench, but the no 8 spot is deservedly Vaea's.

Status
Not open for further replies.