• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last year it was the Brumbies' forwards winning them games with solid set piece and good breakdown work...

Obviously missing George Smith, and to a lesser extent Rocky Elsom and Stephen Moore doesn't help...

But other players have dropped off... Ben Hand has been disappointing... and Chisholm, aside from his lineout work and the odd run, is also absent from the hard work...

It's appearing as if going from Finegan to Harrison was definitely a backwards step...

The set piece is fine, although the lineout last night was below par... but that will improve when Moore returns...

But the work at the breakdown is just absymal... soft... can't secure our own ball and not putting any pressure on the opposition...

Although, it doesn't help when certain players isolate themselves...

The only consistent performers in the pack are the young guys (aside from Moore when he was fit) - Vaea, Fainga'a, Hooper, Kimlin, and Palmer's amazing effort in the scrums...

Alexander has actually scrummed pretty well the past couple of weeks... always good with ball in hand but need to see more clearout work at the ruck...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I also missed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s injury last night...

Anyone know how serious?

Bench next week?

Last week he was anonymous...

Last night he didn't look the least bit interested when he casually strolled onto the field behind the rest of the team...

I'm a big fan of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and have defended him against the criticism of his supposed 'out of form' nature in the early rounds but he certainly hasn't been very good since being shifted from outside centre...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just looking at the ladder...

If they had of closed out those matches against the Rebels, Reds and Tahs they would be placed pretty well...

Obviously goal kicking cost them against the Highlanders, but those other matches should've been won... or rather drawn in the case of the Tahs game...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Hooper is a turnover no. 7 while Coby is more a ball running no. 7. like what I've seen from both this year.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Be lovely if Colby was another 4 inches or so... 7's should be out and out scavengers first and foremost. It's like having a halfback
who can't pass, but is a lovely runner.

That said Colby has done really well this year, a great young talent. The scavenging is an art, he will learn it in time I'm sure..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee remember that it is not the size of the dog, but the size of the fight in the dog. Unless the dog is a shitsou taking on Ron Jeremy or Dirk Diggler.

P

Paradox

FatProp said it best with regard to backrow and balance. The brumbies need a 7 who can win ball from the deck. Vaea carries the ball whilst Kimlin is a workhorse and lineout option.

I was at the game and Kimlin was outstanding. He hits very hard in defense and carried the ball all night. Got through a mountain of work and actually led the forwards around. If and when the Brumbies get Rocky, Holies, Chapman and Moore back they will have a very competitive pack. Kimlin to lock with Chisolm. An in form Holies would still edge out Vaea IMO.

Valentine and Phibbs should be shot - White should be at 9.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Personally, I would go with a Kimlin/Chisholm locking partnership with Elsom at 6, Vaea at 8, and Hoiles on the bench with Chapman...

Hand and Salvi to drop out of the squad... possible Fainga'a too unless they go for a 5/2 split...

Vaea is playing much better than Hoiles has for a long time...

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Kimlin
5. Chisholm
6. Elsom
7. Hooper
8. Vaea

16. Edmonds
17. Maafu
18. Chapman
19. Hoiles
20. Fainga'a?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
that's a shame as speight was starting to look more like a rugby player and less like a chicken missing a head.

he was on my shit list to start the season but he's improved.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Huia Edmonds' scan on his hamstring had a favourable result and will be given every chance to make the game on Sunday.

If he doesnt recover in time Anthony Hegarty will start and Elvis Levi will be brought into squad from the academy.

S

sportsfan

unless Penrith are warehousing him, Elvis may also be injured as he does not appear in the playing lists for Saturdays SShield games. Whos next?

Status
Not open for further replies.