• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

Maybe from Morahan's perspective thats the problem - he has been on the fringes for a couple of seasons and performed solidly with any opportunities, but has never looked like becoming a regular starter. Maybe the next couple of games will make his career at the reds.... or make his mind up re his future.

Certainlt this week will be definitive for him and the Reds - Hynes crook - Morahan has opportunity to cement 15

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. All Giteau is saying is that whatever combinations are chosen, they should be persisted with to allow them to develop. He is exactly right. Nowhere does he say where he should play, or anyone else for this matter.

And as much as some of you come on here and bag the shit out of Giteau he is still one of the Brumbies best week in, week out. Without him the team would be completely rudderless. He is the only thing separating the Brumbies from the wooden spoon at the moment.

How long do we persist I understand the tri system was only played last week but assuming Giteau will again wear the 10 jumper it will be the same 9/10 combination which has played all season with only 1 win against an inept Chiefs who if they had taken their opportunities would have won. Giteau certainly did look better last week when playing wider so why not just make the change and give him the 12 jumper. The outside backs have changed almost as much as the 6/7 so I am just not sure what it is that we need to persist with is it ACC at 13 ,14 15.
This group does not appear to be playing as a team and they need to discover that soon and I do not see a show of faith in 30 year old halfbacks who come off the bench for 4 mins as inspirational.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies hang onto McCabe... chase Fitzpatrick...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...attling-brumbies/story-e6frg7o6-1226036245209

Pat McCabe opts to re-sign with battling Brumbies

WALLABIES utility back Pat McCabe is poised to re-sign with the Brumbies in a boost for the struggling Super Rugby team.

McCabe, who will return via the bench against the Hurricanes in Canberra tonight, was the Brumbies' best player before he sustained a minor hamstring injury prior to the side's 29-22 loss to the Waratahs in round three.

With Wallabies backs Matt Giteau (Toulon) and Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs) leaving Canberra, the Brumbies could ill afford to lose McCabe.

The retention of McCabe will send a positive signal about the future of the Brumbies, who have won only one of their first six games this season, which has been clouded by the sacking of head coach Andy Friend after only two rounds.

McCabe, who made his Test debut against Italy in Florence last November, can play every position outside the halves, making him as versatile as he is valuable.

His hard, straight running has been missing from the Brumbies' attack in recent weeks.

With South African World Cup-winning coach Jake White set to take over the coaching reins, the Brumbies will be looking to get active in retaining and recruiting players for next season.

The Brumbies are talking to Waratahs back-up hooker Damien Fitzpatrick as a replacement for Wallaby Huia Edmonds, who has signed with English club Saracens.

Fitzpatrick is playing behind Test hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau at the Waratahs, but would have to sit on the bench in Canberra as the Brumbies have re-signed Test hooker Stephen Moore until 2013.

But it is understood Fitzpatrick believes he would learn more playing behind Moore, who is Australia's most experienced and technically proficient hooker.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Get your hands off him!

Who could blame him though. Hickey (and TPN) seemed determined to play TPN until he drops or breaks, and then Ulugia gets thrown in ahead anyway. I would rather he stay for selfish reasons, but can understand him looking elsewhere.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Fitzpatrick hasn't done a thing on the field to prove he will be a good senior hooker.

He hasn't hurt his case either but really... why are people so impressed by him? I mean he as pretty good in the U20 world cup but no better then Siliva.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Fitzpatrick hasn't done a thing on the field to prove he will be a good senior hooker.

He hasn't hurt his case either but really... why are people so impressed by him? I mean he as pretty good in the U20 world cup but no better then Siliva.

He hasn't really had a big chance to shine either. He has potential at the moment. That won't get better playing 5 minutes a match. But you're right, he has a way to go.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Apart from that one Crusaders game I've been impressed. More impressed than any other hooker except Hanson.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Fitzpatrick plays too loose for mine. I want a Hooker to do the hard yards up the front. This free running "work rate" rubbish is why our set piece, maul and ruck work have been de-powered. Give me back a tight 5 that runs and hunts as a tight 5 and dominates the set piece and rucks as a unit.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Which one of our hookers (besides the obvious 2) don't play loose.. that's us unfortunately. I'd agree Hanson is the best atm though

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Which one of our hookers (besides the obvious 2) don't play loose.. that's us unfortunately. I'd agree Hanson is the best atm though

Charles and Hanson for mine.

It comes down to training IMO. We had this discussion on another thread about why some players who are better suited to the backrow try to make it as hookers, or coaches want them as hookers and or props.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fitzpatrick plays too loose for mine. I want a Hooker to do the hard yards up the front. This free running "work rate" rubbish is why our set piece, maul and ruck work have been de-powered. Give me back a tight 5 that runs and hunts as a tight 5 and dominates the set piece and rucks as a unit.

Interesting on this subject, and only a little off topic, but Adam Thomson is getting big wraps from Kiwi fans for his play in recent weeks. Strangely, he seems to be playing a lot like Elsom tries to - carrying the ball out wide, coming in for the occasional big hit. In short, a very good seagull. Kaino plays like that a bit too. Shows what you can get away with, if the tight 5 is doing the work. Elsom gets slated a lot around here for his play. Maybe it was a fair part of why he was so well regarded up north. Now if only we can get the tight 5 to do the work, as you say.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't think that's fair. Last night he was certainty seagulling but when the Highlanders played the Kiwi teams and the Stormers/Bulls he was immense at the breakdown. Plays the game well.

T

tranquility

Damn fine footballer, I would probably say he is a better 6 than Elsom. If not every bit as good. It will be interesting to see if he can get back in the World Cup squad (Thompson that is).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I perhaps gave the wrong impression. I reckon he is a very good player (as I said), but was noting he plays looser at times, but can do so more easily and effectively because he has other guys doing the tough stuff better. We have too many who want to play loose - props, hookers, locks etc...
I would have him in my team in a flash.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting on this subject, and only a little off topic, but Adam Thomson is getting big wraps from Kiwi fans for his play in recent weeks. Strangely, he seems to be playing a lot like Elsom tries to - carrying the ball out wide, coming in for the occasional big hit. In short, a very good seagull. Kaino plays like that a bit too. Shows what you can get away with, if the tight 5 is doing the work. Elsom gets slated a lot around here for his play. Maybe it was a fair part of why he was so well regarded up north. Now if only we can get the tight 5 to do the work, as you say.

Thompson does end up in the centres and sometimes on the wing quite a bit, and as you say he can do this because of the dynamic of the rest of the forward pack. I would still contend that everything he does as a 6 including his breakdown work is better than any other 6 in the world with the exception of Juan Smith. Elsom is a long way down the list IMO. Some time back I posted my pecking order for World 6's as 1. Smith 2. Thompson 3. Dusatoir 4. Kaino 5. Vito 6. McCalman/Elsom/Mowen

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was noted in the commentary that Chisholm had the most lineout steals in the comp, but that surely has to be attributed to the games Chapman was playing and running the lineout...

It was a shambles tonight...

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
It was noted in the commentary that Chisholm had the most lineout steals in the comp, but that surely has to be attributed to the games Chapman was playing and running the lineout...

It was a shambles tonight...

Hegarty clearly didn't help the cause when he came on.

Status
Not open for further replies.