• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Phibbs is a much better option, he makes errors trying. Valentine makes errors trying not to get hurt

There are good reasons why Phibbs is first choice half back for the Wicks and Valentine gets 15 at the end of games. Valentine is a better running half and prhaps in support to a player on the break but I rate him lesser on ever other point

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Valentine has deteriorated as a player - not due to injury or advancing years - more than any other recent player I can recall. I remember him when he arrived at the Rats: all fresh and soon playing with the likes of Gerrard, Edmonds and Harris, with the rugby world at his feet.

But look at him now. It's not just a 2011 thing either: you could see the signs last year too, though he had a few good games with it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If you ask me Lee, I would have to say Josh Holmes is the gold medallist in this category.

Absolutely, but that was from schoolboy player to professional player. He was never a top pro player. Valentine has gone from a good professional player to a poor one.

It gives no joy to talk about Oz players like this, does it?

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think you mean F=MA

There are some quick guys in Super Rugby, but none of them run at c :p

Good point Dimsim - just look at Kurtley Beale. His mass has decreased as he has gotten faster, in total contravention of Einstein's work. Or maybe he's become faster as his mass has decreased.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely, but that was from schoolboy player to professional player. He was never a top pro player. Valentine has gone from a good professional player to a poor one.

It gives no joy to talk about Oz players like this, does it?

IMO Lee, a lot Holmes issues are that he has not played in his best position. I never rated him at 9, but thought his best place would be 12. He has all the attributes to be a good 12 and indeed has played there very well in the past.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spiro writes badly in this one, his whole point appears that they should drop a few.

For who Spiro?, what are the better options in the Runners?

What "system(s)" have the Brumbies used for the last 3 years that a new coach would want to know? (half the problem I reckon, they don't have one)

The problem is Giteau and Ashley-Cooper
Spiro Zavos
March 19, 2011

Here is what Matt Giteau had to say about the performance, or lack of it, by his fellow Brumbies following their 52-10 defeat last week by the Crusaders: ''Whether it is a mental thing, I don't know, we need to be stronger. We need to be more personal in our reviews, we need to name people that are lazy, so that people are accountable when we're doing our reviews … but it has to be more personal. It's time [to] say: 'You weren't here, why weren't you there?'''

Although Giteau did use the word ''we'' there was no real attempt in his comments to associate himself directly with his scathing criticisms of the Brumbies players. The least he could have done is say something along the lines of , ''I include myself in all of this.'' For this is the fact of matter. The grand plan of bringing Giteau back to the Brumbies to guide the team to a third Super Rugby title from the No.10 position has failed already. A reason for this, aside from the franchise imploding in a coaching crisis, is Giteau's own poor play and goal kicking. The outstanding Australian No.10 last week was James O'Connor, not Giteau.

Sherlock Holmes solved one of his cases by noting that a dog that habitually barked did not bark during a specific night. The dog that did not bark in this case of the clueless Brumbies against the Crusaders is the new coach, Tony Rea. He gave the media some anodyne comments along the lines of ''they wanted it more'', and that basically was it. He left it to Giteau to make some direct criticisms of the players. But this surely is what a coach, not one of the players, should do?

The fact the Brumbies coach is not barking is indicative of his invidious position of inheriting his position after senior players pressured their compliant management into getting rid of their previous coach. For if names need to be named then Giteau or Rea would have had to have named and shamed Adam Ashley-Cooper, who was comprehensively monstered in attack and defence by Robbie Fruean. The problem here is that Ashley-Cooper is a senior Brumbies player who is being ''updated'' by the CEO Andrew Fagan on a new coach next season.

The French coach, Marc Lievremont, reacted to France's unexpected 22-21 loss to Italy by dropping his iconic second-rower Sebastien Chabal, who has been playing ineffectually in the Six Nations tournament. A number of other senior players have been told that their guarantees of a place in the World Cup squad have been cancelled. Five other senior players have been dropped for the game against Wales at the Stade de France this weekend.

This is exactly what a coach has to do when his team reaches an unacceptable level of performance. Lievremont, unlike Rea, showed the leadership expected from a coach. Pat Lam, the Blues coach, has also dropped six players after his team's disappointing play against Western Force. Given the power exercised by their senior players, this sort of renewal is beyond the Brumbies coaching staff right now.

Brumbies backs coach Stephen Larkham and forwards coach Justin Harrison (two stalwarts of the old boys' power group) are in their first seasons as coaches. Head coach Rea's playing background was in rugby league. I know of no successful rugby league coach who has become a successful rugby union coach. Chris Anderson, for instance, could not make the transition.

The Brumbies clearly need an experienced head coach, someone who knows their system and their players well enough to immediately make the necessary changes in team selection and method that clearly need to be made. Such a person is readily available. Who other than Andy Friend, the sacked coach who has behaved impeccably throughout the shambles of his dismissal.

spiro@theroar.com.au

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think you are being a little uncharitable to Spiro, fp. Amongst the excrement there are a few nuggets shining brightly. One of them was his suggestion that Tony Rea should follow the example of Marc Lievremont:

"This is exactly what a coach has to do when his team reaches an unacceptable level of performance. Lievremont, unlike Rea, showed the leadership expected from a coach."

This is the same Lievremont whose reaction to a one point loss was to make the following calm and measured observations:

"they betrayed us, they have betrayed me and they have betrayed the French national team shirt."

"They are lacking in courage. They are good guys but cursed with what is obviously cowardice."

"Last Saturday evening, they must have behaved like idiots after their matches."

Learn from a master, Tony Rea. That's the sort of "leadership expected from a coach".

But Spiro isn't prepared to give Rea time to implement his suggestion. He sees the need for drastic action:

"The fact the Brumbies coach is not barking is indicative of his invidious position of inheriting his position after senior players pressured their compliant management into getting rid of their previous coach."

So Spiro draws the conclusion that the Brumbies need to appoint "an experienced head coach [able] to immediately make the necessary changes in team selection and method that clearly need to be made." And drawing on his long decades of pontificating about rugby, wise old Spiro has just the man "readily available". It's none other than Andy Friend. Brilliant! Clearly the Friendster, unlike Rea, would not be in an "invidious position" and would certainly have the authority and support from senior players and management to make the necessary hard calls.

But it was Spiro's initial paragraph that really caught my attention. There may be a depth to Matt Giteau of which we were not previously aware:

Here is what Matt Giteau had to say about the performance, or lack of it, by his fellow Brumbies following their 52-10 defeat last week by the Crusaders: "Whether it is a mental thing, I don't know, we need to be stronger. We need to be more personal in our reviews, we need to name people that are lazy, so that people are accountable when we're doing our reviews - but it has to be more personal. It's time [to] say: 'You weren't here, why weren't you there?'''

It would appear the Git has a capacity for lateral thinking akin to his penchant for lateral movement on the playing field. Picture the personal reviews at the Brumbies where each player is challenged with the accusation that they "weren't here" and they "weren't there". You can imagine there would be a lot of shuffling from foot to foot, and much scratching of heads or testicles - depending on preference - while the player tries to work out and explain exactly where they had been, given the exclusion of the most obvious possibilities.

It may, of course, be possible that the Git does not have an enhanced aptitude for metaphysical contemplation. A more mundane explanation could start from a peculiarity observable in blondes. There have been a number of studies which have concluded that those blondes who in the pre-waxing era would not have had matching carpet and drapes take on the same mental virtuosity as their naturally colour coordinated sisters. So the Git's apparent Delphic pronouncement may have been simply due to his long years of experimentation with hair product.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Spiro's one good point is re AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), it should be an embarrassment for the incumbent Wallaby 13 to be absolutely schooled by a super rugby upstart.

Freuan is very good, but I was still not expecting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be completely outclassed in every aspect of his game.

--- sent via TapaTalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
IMO Lee, a lot Holmes issues are that he has not played in his best position. I never rated him at 9, but thought his best place would be 12. He has all the attributes to be a good 12 and indeed has played there very well in the past.

True. I remember saying that during the APC in 2006 only 2 years after he left school. But nobody suspected that in 2004: he was a top schools scrummie.

I have often rabbited on that his utility value (I've seen him play on the wing too) would enable the coach to play with a 5/2 split on the bench, but I can't remember that it was ever employed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Bad news for Oz rugby. He was never a Wallaby candidate in my book but it does affect the depth of the pool of good Oz Super players.

As always there can be serendipity when one goes out and one comes in - or so they said in the Mad Max movie - or something like that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a shame about Chapman.

He's one of the best lineout operators in the country and his absence is going to be noticable at the Brumbies for the rest of the year.

Depending on who re-signs for next year Kimlin could possibly fill the blindside role permanently.

I'm not sure of their contract status but the Brumbies are in a situation where they could possibly also lose Chisholm and Hand overseas.

The Brumbies would want to be getting back Phoenix Battye from the Force next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If there is a God Giteau will be shifted to inside centre this week:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...nst-the-waratahs/story-e6frf4qu-1226025141156

Otherwise Lilo is likely to come into inside centre...

A bit rough for Coleman but since Giteau isn't going to be dropped it's hard to squeeze him in... but he's just a kid and has a long future ahead of him...

I feel the Brumbies' lineout is going to get picked apart with the loss of Moore and Chapman...

It's also a shame that both Moore and TPN are out because there was the potential to see elements of what should be the Wallaby front row matching up (Robinson, Moore/TPN, Palmer)...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a shame.

Although there's not really any space in the team for him at the moment.

Another one with a bright future.

Can provide the Brumbies cover as both a hard running inside centre or outside centre.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Wara
12. Coleman
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano

You know it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.