• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
The thing that annoys me the most is that things where going fine until Rocky, Gits and Valentine showed up.
In Friends first year the team played with fantastic composure. The backline was building nicely with Lealifano at 10 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a world class 15.
Then these three walk in and the play becomes dull and erratic. The team lost its focus. Then Young and Melon where fired by Fagan (i'm guessing by rocky and gits had something to do with this) and then friend. Now they lose 3 in a row.
I really wish it was 2008 again. Least that was something to enjoy.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Strange situation tonight. The Brumbies had to great young 5/8s on the park and one gets shunted to in centre and the other is on the wing to make way for Giteau to play 5/8. Why not give the young guys a bit of time there?

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apart from the other coaches. :violin:

Let's see if they keep up the 2 week grace period. If Rea is looking for a start elsewhere by the end of the week, then by the time the S15 is over there might be a fresh crop in there, and Gits will be moved.

Having said all that Gits did actually reduce the amount of crabbing this week, threw a few inside passes and tried to run straighter.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies don't have any leadership on or off the field...

No coach... and no captain...

I haven't seen Giteau once actually do the role of a captain and chat to the referee...

Despite all the current problems, the Brumbies could actually be a good team NEXT YEAR if they get a decent coach and at least retain a few players off contract...

Hypothetically (unsure of all the contract situations):

1. Alexander
2. Moore (c)
3. Palmer
4. Kimlin
5. ?
6. ?
7. Fainga'a
8. Vaea
9. White
10. To'omua
11. ?
12. Coleman
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/McCabe
14. ?
15. McCabe/Lilo?

It's a young team, but it's mostly these young guys impressing...

At the moment it's the same story every week with the same small group of players playing exceptionally well but let down by the team as a whole...

Moore, Palmer, Fainga'a, Vaea, Coleman, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and McCabe with Kimlin off the bench have really been the only consistent standouts... with Fainifo doing ok on the wing...

Wake me up in 12 months when this nightmare ends...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
If I was the new coach of the Brumbies for 2012, and for arguments sake say the 2011 season is a write off, I would drop Giteau as he isn't going to be there next year and build for the future. You don't want guys like To'omua and Lealilfano coming into 2012 with no game time under their belt.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Things getting worse...

Fractured cheekbone shatters Chapman's season

BY CHRIS DUTTON
13 Mar, 2011 01:00 AM

MITCHELL Chapman's World Cup dream and Super Rugby season could both be over after the ACT Brumbies forward fractured his cheekbone on Friday night.
Chapman had to be flown to Wellington for surgery and will spend at least the next week in New Zealand recovering.

His injury added further pain to the Brumbies' 52-10 loss to the Canterbury Crusaders in Nelson.

It was initially hoped he would be out of action for just six weeks.

But in a devastating blow to the Brumbies and Chapman's Wallabies hopes, club medical staff fear the injury could sideline the flanker for up to three months.

Chapman has been a fringe Wallaby for the past two seasons and hoped to be included in Robbie Deans's World Cup squad.

And with Rocky Elsom (hamstring) and Stephen Hoiles (Achilles) also struggling to be fit, the Brumbies will have to field a very inexperienced back row.

ACT and Australian hooker Stephen Moore will have scans on his injured ankle tomorrow. He could be sidelined for a month if the scans show syndesmosis injury.

Brumbies speedster Henry Speight had scans on his jaw in Auckland yesterday, but it is hoped he will not miss any games.

The Brumbies injury toll adds to the horror start to the season.

But scrum coach Marco Caputo has blasted the Super Rugby referees, declaring his side was continually being ''dudded'' for having a dominant forward pack.

Referee Garratt Williamson awarded back-to-back dubious penalties to the Crusaders in the first half.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Who has any idea on who might step up?

I'd like to see Vanderglas in the squad for Chapman, Wara in for Speight and hooker? No idea. Hegarty didn't really impress me from what I've seen of the academy, Elvis Levi?

Season just seems to get worse and worse. Giteaus replies in the media are incredibly sad reading. Embarrassing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kimlin will come straight in for Chapman.

Although I was hoping Kimlin would replace Hand or Chisholm in the starting XV.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Kimlin will come straight in for Chapman.

Although I was hoping Kimlin would replace Hand or Chisholm in the starting XV.

Yes, I presume Kimlin will go to 6, hence why I'd like to see Vanders get a chance at 19. They will most likely bring hooper up though, even though he isn't able to cover 6/8 or 4/5 - which vanderglas could at a pinch - he is taller than the other backrowers..

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=29279

Australian Fotunuupule Auelua announced on Thursday that he will quit French Top 14 side Toulon at the end of the season and sign a two-year deal with Brumbies.

Auelua, who plays number eight with the south coast side, told AFP: "It was a difficult decision to make because I feel really good at Toulon but I didn't want to look back on my career later on with regrets.

"It's a big challenge for me and a great opportunity."

In signing for the Brumbies, Auelua has also part-signed a contract with the Australian Rugby Union (ARU), who will pay part of his salary.

Although the Wallabies are said to have been following the player closely, Auelua added: "There's nothing to say I will play for the Wallabies but in any case, (being based) in France I've got no chance of being called up."

Before returning to Australia, Auelua is set to spend seven months, from July 2011 to February 2012, playing for Tokyo-based club NTT Communications, where he will hook up with former coach Joseph Barakat, currently an assistant coach with NTT.

The Brumbies however says that they are hopeful of securing the signature of giant No 8 Fotu Auelua but have not yet signed a deal with the Brumbies but team management are hopeful that will happen within days.

Auelua grew up playing both rugby league and rugby union in Sydney's western suburbs, representing the Parramatta Eels as a junior and finishing school at Trinity College.

The 115kg powerhouse has spent the last six seasons in France where he has played alongside Jonny Wilkinson, Sonny Bill Williams and George Smith, first with Dax and then with Toulon.

Brumbies Rugby Chief Executive Andrew Fagan was confident Auelua would be heading to Canberra.

"We've been talking with both Fotu and his manager for the last couple of weeks and we are confident he will be coming to the ACT," Fagan said.

"Fotu has indicated to us that he is excited by the prospect of returning to Australia and would love to spend time playing with the Brumbies."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's good news. As I wrote earlier: he's a big unit who is principally an 8 but has played 12 and even 13 recently.

Loves running over folks but needs to get a bit of weight stripped of him. Since he won't be doing the pre-season stuff the Brumbies should make sure Fotu is on the tofu when he's in Japan.

Well, I thought it was funny.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Word today that Robbie Coleman Ita Vaea and Jono Owen are going to re-sign.

There has been some progression with some other players but no names were mentioned.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Excellent news...

But surprised about Owen... Now the Brumbies have 3-4 THs on full time contracts?

I wonder if the promise to Alexander to play him at TH next year will eventuate?

It shouldn't with Palmer in the team...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
This would be great for the Brumbies.
Bring in Jake White and let HIM and HIM alone pick his coaching staff.
First person I would be getting rid of...Larkham, as much as he is a legend of a player, his coaching and game plans leave a lot to be desired...he was GREAT back then, but the game has changed...no more of this lateral crap which Gits has been doing all year, it doesnt work in this era. Keep Rea on as a Defense coach as he was doing a great job in my eyes. (even though recently it doesnt show)
Here is left field, I would bring back Andy Friend as a backs coach.
I would however be keen to see Cuputo and Harrison carry on, I think the Brumbies Scrum can end up being the most dominant scrum and lineout in the comp in seasons to come.
This would be great for the Brumbies if White signed up.
Maybe Fagan can also learn how to grow a pair and not bow down to the Larkham power that currently exists.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
This would be great for the Brumbies.
Bring in Jake White and let HIM and HIM alone pick his coaching staff.
First person I would be getting rid of...Larkham, as much as he is a legend of a player, his coaching and game plans leave a lot to be desired...he was GREAT back then, but the game has changed...no more of this lateral crap which Gits has been doing all year, it doesnt work in this era. Keep Rea on as a Defense coach as he was doing a great job in my eyes. (even though recently it doesnt show)
Here is left field, I would bring back Andy Friend as a backs coach.
I would however be keen to see Cuputo and Harrison carry on, I think the Brumbies Scrum can end up being the most dominant scrum and lineout in the comp in seasons to come.
This would be great for the Brumbies if White signed up.
Maybe Fagan can also learn how to grow a pair and not bow down to the Larkham power that currently exists.

Friend as backs coach? WTF? The Brumbies attack has been fucked for 3 years, with Friend in charge of the attack. Why would you bring him back?

I'd be quite happy with larkham stayin on as attack coach. To'omua has a very similar game, and will thrive under Bernie's wing.

However, White would be a good choice, as he's got enough cred on the coaching circuit to be able to tell Giteau to get fucked, and play him in his proper position.

The forwards are alright, but the backline needs a re-jig. Speight and Fainifo have offered bugger all so far, so fuck them off. Lealiifano to fullback, McCabe on the wing, where his straight running will actually work, as opposed to running it directly back into opposition backrowers.

Valentine/Phibbs are shit, so fuck them, lets play White.

9. White
10. Toouma
11. Wara
12. Giteau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Coleman
15. Lealiifano

Status
Not open for further replies.