• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Salvi at 8 would appear to be the only non-academy option.

Isn't having to play other back row positions one of the reasons he left?

Has Hoiles been confirmed to miss round 1 yet? It would certainly help to have him fit but reports are that it is unlikely.

I'd assume they'd go with:

6. Chapman
7. Fainga'a
8. Salvi

With one of Hooper, Vanderglas, Parahi, and Vaea to fill the bench spot.

I think Vanderglas will become a very valuable player if Hoiles is also ruled out with Elsom and Kimlin.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
It'll probably be Hooper on the bench. Alas, he is an out and out 7, and I think they will need someone that can fill 7/8 and provide a genuine line out option.

Parahi is injured, or recovering at present I believe (going off the John I Dent thread). Either way, I'd have a more experienced option like Vanders in the shadows.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has Hoiles been confirmed to miss round 1 yet? It would certainly help to have him fit but reports are that it is unlikely.

I'd assume they'd go with:

6. Chapman
7. Fainga'a
8. Salvi

With one of Hooper, Vanderglas, Parahi, and Vaea to fill the bench spot.

I think Vanderglas will become a very valuable player if Hoiles is also ruled out with Elsom and Kimlin.

Vanderglas may be a better option because of his running game.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'd presume Chapman will have first crack at 6.

And yes, Vanders would add alot of pace/mobility around the park. His efforts in 7's are testament to this.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd presume Chapman will have first crack at 6.

And yes, Vanders would add alot of pace/mobility around the park. His efforts in 7's are testament to this.

With no Elsom for a while and Smith their backrow lacks real penetration

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
With no Elsom for a while and Smith their backrow lacks real penetration

Fainga'a had more line breaks than Smith in less game time last season, he brings a fairly strong running game, Elsom is the massive loss.

Vanderglas should offer some attack out of the backrow coming off the bench but I can't see him starting over Chapman, you'd have to give the senior squad preference at this stage. Latimer, Messam and Waldrom will be a big test round 1 to see just how much Hoiles and Elsom are missed but I expect them to hold their own.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It'll probably be Hooper on the bench. Alas, he is an out and out 7

It's early days but I think Hooper has the skill set to be a no.8 down the track, or at least a fill in. Mind you I said the same about Richie McCaw and George Smith nearly 10 years ago.

If he puts on a bit of pork we may see him playing there from the bench or rotated from 7 to 8 after an injury.

Not for the moment though. Salvi has played 8 before; so if Vaea is not going to be promoted he will probably start as the 8 in Rd 1. We should watch, or read reports about, Vaea in the trial - you never know.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'd prefer to see a more traditional 6, for reasons mentioned above.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, however I think this may be an area of weakness for the Brumbies this season.

With Googy as forwards coach, I wonder what his thoughts are regarding this and whether a compromise at 6 (in terms of height/Lineout option) is the best option?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brumbies Guy; geez, I hope Friend doesn't select that backrow - it's mightily undersized and unbalanced. If Friend does go with those three, you'd hope they play a fast, up-tempo game and run the other pack around the park.

Two players under 100 kgs, and the third (Salvi) probably barely pushing over 100 kgs wringing wet. Chisholm, Moore and Alexander would have to do nearly all the ball running in heavy traffic.

None of the 3 is a real lineout target either; Salvi is the closest of the three but he's a part time jumper at best. Both Hooper and Fainga'a are not even worth jumping other than for the Phil Waugh jumping shock factor.

Just selecting Chapman at 6 would add a real lineout option (especially at 2), some weight, size and a fairly strong ball carrier to that backrow, assuming he doesn't spend all day in the centres/wing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Also interesting is the player heights for the forwards. Ranking from tallest:

Peter Kimlin 1.98m (lock)
Mitchell Chapman 1.97m (blindside, part time lock)
Mark Chisholm 1.97m (lock)
Rocky Elsom 1.97m (blindside)
Ben Hand 1.96m (lock)
Stephen Hoiles 1.90m (no. 8.)
Ben Alexander 1.89m (LHP)
Julian Salvi 1.87m (flanker)
Stephen Moore 1.86m (hooker)

I think that the Brumbies really need to have either Elsom or Chapman on the field to have a strong lineout. Chapman in particular is a very good lineout operator.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
None of the 3 is a real lineout target either; Salvi is the closest of the three but he's a part time jumper at best. Both Hooper and Fainga'a are not even worth jumping other than for the Phil Waugh jumping shock factor.

Just to show that it can be done, you mean? ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Friend would have to be the worst coach in Super rugby history to not play Chapman at 6 with Chisholm / Hand in the second row...

Having three openside flankers in the backrow will hurt the Brumbies in the scrum, the lineout and in general play...

At this stage Friend will/should start with -

6. Chapman
7. Fainga'a
8. Salvi

If that doesn't work out then he should promote Vaea...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting...

"While Larkham looked after the backs, the forwards were put through a gruelling scrum session under the eye of Super Rugby referee Stuart Dickinson.

Dickinson was in camp with the Brumbies for three days to ''help each other gain clarity'' on the direction of the game."

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And just to ruin our season before it begins it seems as though Giteau will be given the captaincy if Hoiles and Elsom are both injured... *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.