• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
The ACMA's How we watch and listen to content report from December shapes things a bit differently...

Still ~50% of people though - you'd imagine many of whom fall into the 34% who do not use a streaming service.

Not to point out the obvious, but it's also important to remember that these are numbers for all streaming services, not just Stan (or whichever platform rugby will be on moving forward). Maintaining another streaming service - particularly if for a 'sole purpose' such as watching rugby - is a barrier for many people, especially the casual fan. I still think there's a very strong case for FTA access as a result.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
blows my mind that 71% of under 29 watch free to air. None of my mates do. I guess maybe AFL/SOO? Some of the women would watch the reality shows. I dunno. But nothing regular.
One of my aerial connections is broken, it does not bother me in the slightest as I never watch FTA and i'm nearly 40. My 4 and 8YO know how to work streaming services so they don't, and it's actually a blessing as ABC kids adds tend to be for toys they want if the TV is on free to air.

I have 5000+ stations available and besides rugby pretty much stick to VOD so I don't have to bother with adds.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
When we built three years ago, we purposely did not put a TV aerial in. We don't watch any FTA. All our viewing is streaming online (either with the FTA channels platform, or Stan etc).

Pretty much the only time I watch anything live is the rugby.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
blows my mind that 71% of under 29 watch free to air. None of my mates do. I guess maybe AFL/SOO? Some of the women would watch the reality shows. I dunno. But nothing regular.
I think it is females, I cannot think of the last free to air show I watched, but my wife and her friends (and the girls at my office) all seem to watch endless "reality TV" programs.

Edit- just thought of one, I watch the Matildas on free to air

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
In the latest Television & Media Survey (2023) women are a fair bit more likely to watch streaming services, and there are more women than men who say they pay for Netflix, Stan etc.

Australian men watch more FTA and Youtube.

The differences can be explained mostly by older men watching news and sport on FTA, and households with children have more streaming services (which skews female)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This female watches some FTA. Planet America, 4 Corners, The Weekly…
Not a reality show watcher. Last night watched SOO on FTA

In our household it's fairly similar with ABC really the only FTA channel that gets any regular viewing...

Four Corners (sometimes) and Media Watch on Monday nights, and my partner might try and squeeze in a little bit of ABC News Breakfast in the morning before a kid's show has to be loaded up on Netflix or Stan.

She also watches Insiders, but on catch up via ABC iView.

Otherwise, it's just occasionally the AFL on 7 in the background while cooking on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

I didn't know the State of Origin was on last night... here in Melbourne.

Apparently 90,000 others did though...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume they were only lit up yesterday though?

I actually stayed in the CBD over the weekend and didn't notice anything... but I was also more concerned with what I was drinking.

Reactions: dru