• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Hang with me on this.

Ever heard of Sissel Kyrjebe, she is a Norwegian singer. She has sold over 10 million albums mostly in Norway. IMO she has close to the best female voice I have ever heard, yet outside Norway almost unknown, like Johnny Farnham almost unknown outside Australia.

Maybe you have heard of her before, and I am late in hearing her, but her lack of recognition belies her talent and in many ways reflects Rugby today or more the inability of Australian Rugby to broadcast its story beyond the already converted hard core.

Rugby has a lot going for it, but seems things like 7's women is almost hidden, yet as a game its brilliant. Many great [rugby] things done and not reported never happen aside from those few who saw them.

No idea of the answer as we effectively have only three news and sports reporting outlets, News and thats AFL, League & Cricket, Seven AFL, ABC Cricket & AFL with some Netball and League.

BTW Sissel sings lots of songs from country to classic to opera, youtube below showing her voice. Again as I sigh we struggle to get out the good as we are swamped with the negatives.

If you want to listen, enjoy. Only heard her last week.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
760,000 watched the Origin on BVOD (ie the 9now app) last night. Those in the know are saying it was probably the highest ratings ever for a live event on the 9Now app.

Makes you wonder what the strategy is there. What's the point of having Stan and 9Now?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
760,000 watched the Origin on BVOD (ie the 9now app) last night. Those in the know are saying it was probably the highest ratings ever for a live event on the 9Now app.

Makes you wonder what the strategy is there. What's the point of having Stan and 9Now?

I suppose 9Now still provides Nine a streaming platform for content that they can't or wouldn't want to put behind a subscription... State of Origin, Olympics, Ashes, news and other local content etc.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)

9Now is purely to capture those who want terrestrial programming via the internet (e.g., using an Apple TV), with Stan being distinguishable as a subscription-based on-demand service. Partly a marketing exercise to align the two free 9 platforms (by name and branding) and keep Stan separate, but makes sense and is more simple imo - especially if the alternative is to have both a free and paid tier of a single platform (either 9Now or Stan)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I suppose 9Now still provides Nine a streaming platform for content that they can't or wouldn't want to put behind a subscription... State of Origin, Olympics, Ashes, news and other local content etc.
Why not just have the same app with non-subscription and subscription options?

I mean soon enough their plan is that either or both will overtake the broadcast TV version, but there's a pretty big risk of splintering your offerings there

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I watched on 9now on my TV (via Chromecast).

Apps are my only access to FTA TV now. I would guess this is the reality for an increasing percentage of the population. While my TV can clearly receive digital TV channels, why would I bother?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I watched on 9now on my TV (via Chromecast).

Apps are my only access to FTA TV now. I would guess this is the reality for an increasing percentage of the population. While my TV can clearly receive digital TV channels, why would I bother?
So why aren't nine trying to get you all in on just one of their apps? They could have a non-subscription and paid access versions

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's simpler for the customer and for marketing to distinguish the two

I dunno if I agree with that statement

imagine hoping the 9app and scrolling what’s on offer… you see your local club rugby you played for 2 decades ago is broadcasting their game at 3pm.

you go to select the game and says you need subscribe. No one on the channel 9 app is going to have a clue what’s on offer on Stan.

if you integrated the app and showed the Stan content on channel 9 - you might gain extra subscriptions

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why not just have the same app with non-subscription and subscription options?

I mean soon enough their plan is that either or both will overtake the broadcast TV version, but there's a pretty big risk of splintering your offerings there

Just adding to what LeCheese said...

9Now is strictly a Channel 9 branded platform for the sole purpose of Channel 9 FTA content...

Stan, although owned by Nine, is somewhat its own separate entity with the flexibility of carrying a range of content which has included material created by other networks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So why aren't nine trying to get you all in on just one of their apps? They could have a non-subscription and paid access versions

I get your point now after your follow up post to Slim.

I'm not a marketing person but I'd guess having lots of free content next to paid content potentially diminishes the perceived value in the paid content. The look and feel are pretty different too. Stan very much wants to look like a Netflix type platform whereas 9now and the other FTA TV apps are more shifted towards a focus on the live TV that is on right now. Finding shows you want is secondary.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I dunno if I agree with that statement

imagine hoping the 9app and scrolling what’s on offer… you see your local club rugby you played for 2 decades ago is broadcasting their game at 3pm.

you go to select the game and says you need subscribe. No one on the channel 9 app is going to have a clue what’s on offer on Stan.

if you integrated the app and showed the Stan content on channel 9 - you might gain extra subscriptions
You may, or you may get frustrated customers - particularly those who are less technologically literate. This is a secondary reason though imo - Braveheart and Slim have eloquently summarised what I agree are the core reasons.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not so dissimilar to Ch7 have 7Plus, and their now failed subscription product with Fox whose name escapes me...

I believe Ch7 also had the opportunity to partner into Stan, and knocked it back for whatever that thing was called.

But Stan is not exactly a Ch9 platform, as it is rather a platform owned by 9.

JRugby2

Herbert Moran (7)
I get your point now after your follow up post to Slim.

I'm not a marketing person but I'd guess having lots of free content next to paid content potentially diminishes the perceived value in the paid content. The look and feel are pretty different too. Stan very much wants to look like a Netflix type platform whereas 9now and the other FTA TV apps are more shifted towards a focus on the live TV that is on right now. Finding shows you want is secondary.
Bang on. Despite 7/9/10's best efforts their BVOD apps are just a replacement for linear TV when people don't have aerials, or to catch up on the latest and greatest reality TV.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I'd be curious to know how much revenue Stan brings in compared to Channel 9 in general. And where does Stan rank in Aus subscribers compared to Binge, Netflix, Prime, Apple Tv etc

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
You may, or you may get frustrated customers - particularly those who are less technologically literate. This is a secondary reason though imo - Braveheart and Slim have eloquently summarised what I agree are the core reasons.

I would honestly rebrand Stan. Call it 9Primo or 9+

id have the subscription content right next to the 9 free to air offerings in the hope that foot traffic to the 9 app drives subscriptions to the premium content.